Help from my fellow BBK Headers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Help from my fellow BBK Headers

If anyone has BBK LT headers and a resonated X Pipe. Did you need to add anything to close the gap between the high flow cats and the magnaflow resonated x pipe? Or did the x pipe line right up to them? pictures would be very appreciated. Bout the resonated x pipe and im just trying to map out the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have BBK, but I'm pretty sure they will line up. I can try to help you out if you post some pics of your current set-up. But just for a little info, if the Magnaflow mounts up to your OEM exhaust manifolds and OEM cats, then they will connect with your BBK headers. I'm pretty sure of it. Show me some pics and I'll figure it out.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
I don't have BBK, but I'm pretty sure they will line up. I can try to help you out if you post some pics of your current set-up. But just for a little info, if the Magnaflow mounts up to your OEM exhaust manifolds and OEM cats, then they will connect with your BBK headers. I'm pretty sure of it. Show me some pics and I'll figure it out.
You're the man! its dark out and i have no lift at all to get a better view so ill have to take pics tomorrow or next day(depending on when i can get access to my buddies lift). ill show you what i mean using pictues of my exhaust(not installed on a car sorry) and pictures of stock exhaust in hopes of you seeing what im talking about. Thanks in advance. additionally everything is clamped for now until i get the right sound so things can be moved around. I know this is very hard to diagnose without seeing my set up, so im not expecting a solution. Thanks again man ive heeded your advice before via other posts youve made and its good to actually converse with you.

Here is the exhaust i have on currently:

PaceSetter 86-2908 TFX Performance Exhaust System for V6, V8 Camaro 2010 : Amazon.com : Automotive PaceSetter 86-2908 TFX Performance Exhaust System for V6, V8 Camaro 2010 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Notice how the xpipe starts out wide for a long while then all of a sudden gets real tight right before the area in which you would put the resonators.

Where as, here with the stock exhaust:

For sale v6 stock exhaust - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

The stock hpipe immediately kinks in, way before the resonators

(sorry for post to another website admins delete the link if need be.)

post #4 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Do you have a Magnaflow resonator? The Pacesetter system is a full cat-back. So it will run from the HF cats/catless extensions all the way to the back of the car. If you run the BBK headers, then your exhaust will go: BBK headers > HF cats/catless extensions > Pacesetter cat-back. The Pacesetter runs wide for a longer distance than the OEM exhaust (and many aftermarket cat-backs as well) but there should be enough room under the vehicle for it to fit. If you currently have a Magnaflow resonator installed, then the Pacesetter cat-back will eliminate that.

If I misunderstood anything you wrote then my bad. If you have anymore details then I may be able to help out more. I mentioned the Magnaflow because I saw you mentioned it in the original post. I hope I helped.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

Do you have a Magnaflow resonator? The Pacesetter system is a full cat-back. So it will run from the HF cats/catless extensions all the way to the back of the car. If you run the BBK headers, then your exhaust will go: BBK headers > HF cats/catless extensions > Pacesetter cat-back. The Pacesetter runs wide for a longer distance than the OEM exhaust (and many aftermarket cat-backs as well) but there should be enough room under the vehicle for it to fit. If you currently have a Magnaflow resonator installed, then the Pacesetter cat-back will eliminate that.

If I misunderstood anything you wrote then my bad. If you have anymore details then I may be able to help out more. I mentioned the Magnaflow because I saw you mentioned it in the original post. I hope I helped.
Sorry my post was very convoluted. So i currently have BBK LT headers and the pace setter tfx cat back system. need to add in the magnaflow resonated x pipe(which is on its way) because of the horrible rasp i get at high rpms. I am trying to figure out if the res will hook right up to the high flow cats that come with the bbk headers. or if i will need to weld in extension pipe to fit the new resonated xpipe in directly to the higflow bbk cats.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonny04 View Post
Sorry my post was very convoluted. So i currently have BBK LT headers and the pace setter tfx cat back system. need to add in the magnaflow resonated x pipe(which is on its way) because of the horrible rasp i get at high rpms. I am trying to figure out if the res will hook right up to the high flow cats that come with the bbk headers. or if i will need to weld in extension pipe to fit the new resonated xpipe in directly to the higflow bbk cats.
Oh man, I wish you had asked about this before you ordered the Magnaflow. I see exactly what you're saying. The thing is, I think you're gonna have to have it welded in. But I don't see where you will be able to weld it in. Maybe somewhere past the X but before the axle-back. It isn't gonna bolt up to the BBK I don't think because it won't be wide enough. And even if it did, you would still have to modify the Pacesetter X to fit it in. To fit it, you're gonna have to find somewhere along the cat-back that is the same length and width and then remove that section and weld it in. But you're probably gonna end up paying a muffler shop a bit of money to modify it. Maybe you can fit it right after the X. The 2 long pipes that go to the axle-back can probably be sctioned out so the Magnaflow will fit. If you look at the Pacesetter pic you can see that there may be an area right there where it will work.

Once you get it have a looksie and see if you can make it work. If not then return the Pacesetter. Sound is mainly from the mufflers. So if you were to just replace the axle-back, then you could probably get rid of the raspiness and improve the sound. Either way keep me posted. If you can, post up a video so I can hear how it sounds before you install the Magnaflow. I'll try to find some sound clips of exhausts with the Magnaflow resonators to see if they will make an improvement.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #7 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh man, I wish you had asked about this before you ordered the Magnaflow. I see exactly what you're saying. The thing is, I think you're gonna have to have it welded in. But I don't see where you will be able to weld it in. Maybe somewhere past the X but before the axle-back. It isn't gonna bolt up to the BBK I don't think because it won't be wide enough. And even if it did, you would still have to modify the Pacesetter X to fit it in. To fit it, you're gonna have to find somewhere along the cat-back that is the same length and width and then remove that section and weld it in. But you're probably gonna end up paying a muffler shop a bit of money to modify it. Maybe you can fit it right after the X. The 2 long pipes that go to the axle-back can probably be sctioned out so the Magnaflow will fit. If you look at the Pacesetter pic you can see that there may be an area right there where it will work.

Once you get it have a looksie and see if you can make it work. If not then return the Pacesetter. Sound is mainly from the mufflers. So if you were to just replace the axle-back, then you could probably get rid of the raspiness and improve the sound. Either way keep me posted. If you can, post up a video so I can hear how it sounds before you install the Magnaflow. I'll try to find some sound clips of exhausts with the Magnaflow resonators to see if they will make an improvement.
yeah thats what i thought thanks for the confirmation. ill just take it to the exhaust shop ive worked with in the past and have them weld and tac everything together they might just use flex pipe from the cats to the re or they might cut the pacesetter x pipe and fit the resonator in somehow. ugh i wish i never cut my exhaust (in all the wrong places i was so stupid). heres a vid i made a week ago with the exhaust sound. used to think it was ok but after a week i want to throw my whole exhaust system away and start over(b ut would rather not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxBd76GVqfI
post #8 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonny04 View Post
yeah thats what i thought thanks for the confirmation. ill just take it to the exhaust shop ive worked with in the past and have them weld and tac everything together they might just use flex pipe from the cats to the re or they might cut the pacesetter x pipe and fit the resonator in somehow. ugh i wish i never cut my exhaust (in all the wrong places i was so stupid). heres a vid i made a week ago with the exhaust sound. used to think it was ok but after a week i want to throw my whole exhaust system away and start over(b ut would rather not)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxBd76GVqfI
I watched the video. The car looks good man. And you've got a good amount of mods there. You could probably benefit from a custom tune. At least a canned tune. That would be a good next mod.

As far as the exhaust, can you seal up the driver's side axle-back a little more? That might help with the rasp. And where did you cut the exhaust at? Did you do it yourself? If you can get away without using flex pipe, then try not to use it. You may be able to fit the Magnaflow in without it.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #9 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I watched the video. The car looks good man. And you've got a good amount of mods there. You could probably benefit from a custom tune. At least a canned tune. That would be a good next mod.

As far as the exhaust, can you seal up the driver's side axle-back a little more? That might help with the rasp. And where did you cut the exhaust at? Did you do it yourself? If you can get away without using flex pipe, then try not to use it. You may be able to fit the Magnaflow in without it.
thanks man i appreciate it. It is trifecta tuned and data logged/retuned.

Good news! I got the measurements and it will be able to rest in the area where the stock resonators sat.
i cut it at the h pipe... like an idiot.

but anyways im going to go to the exhaust shop and have them put the resonated xpipe in, seal and weld everything up. tac it and make it clean. will cost probably 300 for that from my local shop. thanks for the help and steering me in the right direction Chapel, much appreciated.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Anytime buddy!! Keep me posted on how it comes out. And post a video clip once its all set. I definitely wanna hear how it sounds!! Good luck!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page