Upgrading Brakes on my V6 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Upgrading Brakes on my V6

Hey all, some day I want to upgrade my brakes, there's several ways to do this.
But seeing that the v6 only comes with single piston calipers I need some discussion on how I should do this and as always I'm looking to do it on the cheap.

1. Buy a Drilled rotor kit and keep stock calipers. -- Cheap and easy.

2. Buy a used set of SS 4 piston calipers and discs from an SS owner that has upgraded. Would this be plausible? any SS owners out there looking to get rid of their old brakes? Maybe I could just get the SS calipers and then get driller rotors too.

3. Buy the SS or ZL1 brake upgrade kit from a GM parts dealer. But I imagine this will be expensive, any one have any idea?

4. Buy a complete aftermarket upgrade kit,, also expensive...

I think I might be happy with just the #1 upgrade but I would still only have the single piston calipers which feel pretty weak... #2 seems like my best option but how can I find all the parts I need? what do you experienced guys think? How can I do this on the cheap?

thanks

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Do you want them for looks or the performance?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Do you want them for looks or the performance?
both but mainly performance, I can paint them myself for looks. What I'm really looking for is a good solid feel to the brake pedal and good solid braking,, the v6 brakes just feel a bit flimsy and weak, you also get some vibration when hard braking which I think is caused by the single piston calipers, I assume you SS guys do not have this vibration?

also I want to do this because I do drive the car fast and I want to be able to rely on the brakes. I wish GM did like they did with the 4th gen where the 6 came with the same brakes as the z28 & SS.

my 4th gen v6 had awesome brakes with dual piston calipers up front, I just upgraded to drilled rotors and the braking was solid and fast.

I think if I just upgraded the front brakes that would get rid of the vibrations.

I also just realized I would have to get bigger wheels as well if I put bigger disks on,,

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-10-2013 at 03:43 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Keep watching the forums for take-offs from an SS.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Keep watching the forums for take-offs from an SS.

also do you drive your SS hard? if you brake really hard in a straight line do you have any vibration or shaking? in my 4th gen you would have to steer it to keep it pulling to one side or the other but there was no vibrations. I think those dual pistons really make a difference.

These people are nuts!! $4100 for front brakes!!
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-conv...cessories.html

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

look at the pic, you need a lot of small parts,,, I think i'm stuck with just upgrading the rotors, I cant spend that kid of money on a brake system. Plus I really don't want to spend $2400 on a new wheel & tire package.

So I guess my question is, how much improvement will I get from just upgrading to drilled rotors and maybe some ceramic pads?

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-10-2013 at 04:30 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

might just get a full set of these, they looks pretty BA,, if I get these & ceramic pads, how much better do you think it would be, would it reduced vibrations? hell, there's 124 reviews, let me start reading.

Baer Decela Rotors - Best Price on Baer Sport Rotors Baer Decelarotors - Reviews on Bear Brake Rotors

$460 for 4 good quality discs, now I can live with that,,

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Mine brakes smooooth and VERY fast. Brakes are not something you want to go cheap on. Stick with quality.

Drilled rotors shed heat quicker and channel away rain on the rotor. That's the advantage.

Go to Hawk's website. They've got great info on which pads do what.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a complete set of those Baer rotors and some ceramic pads, people seemed to be pretty happy in the reviews. The V6 actually does have some decent sized rotors already so I think this will be enough for my satisfaction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page