OHC vs OHV... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

OHC vs OHV...

I was reading a magazing that was discussing the new Vette. And a reader had wrote in to the magazine and pretty much began dissing the pushrod engines that Chevy still uses. The reader was saying that the pushrod engine is a dinosaur and blah blah blah. And he basically criticized Chevy for not switching over to an over head cam design like Ford uses in the Mustangs. Now I don't know how you guys feel about these two engine designs, but I see absolutely no advantage to switching over to a DOHC engine.

With the V6s, I can see how the pushrod engine cannot keep up. But with the larger displacement 8 cyl engines, I think the pushrod is king. Regardless of what people think, the DOHC engines do not offer any improvement in MPG. Our 6.2 pushrod engines makes more hp and tq than Ford's 6.2 DOHC engines. The DOHC engine is a large, bulky, and heavy engine compared to our OHV engines and they are more expensive to build and maintain. And they certainly are not a new design. They've been around for a long time. People comment on them being a new style engine and yada yada because they are ill-informed and totally ignorant. From an enthusiast standpoint, a pushrod engine being lighter and capable of larger amounts of displacement despite a significantly smaller physical size. I mean, you can get close to 400 cubic inches with a Chevy small block 350...my 4.6 Mustang GT engine can be bored and stroked to maybe about 301 cubic inches. Yet in a side by side picture, the 4.6 looks like it is twice the size of a 350. Matter of fact, it is larger than some big block engines.

Basically, I hope Chevy sticks with a pushrod design. I feel that perhaps they will one day switch over. But hopefully it won't be anytime soon. I think that Chevy has a lot of tricks up their sleeve to keep ahead of the OHC engines. And so far, it looks like Ford and Dodge are the ones trying to keep up with us. IMO, simple is better. The pushrod engine is easy to upgrade and fix due to it's simplicity. We can add a significant amount of displacement at any point with a stroker kit. We can easily swap out heads or do a cam swap. And nothing beats the lopey idle of a big cam in a OHV engine. I think Chevy makes the best engines on the planet as far as a modder is concerned. I hope they keep with the same old trusted, tried, and true design that has kept them on top. What do you guys think?!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Garage
You've got it nailed, Chapel.

The Corvette (especially the C7) is America's supercar. It's going to be the target of closed-minded fanboy haters. Some of them have jobs writing for magazines.

Chevy's pushrod V8s have been around forever, sure. Why? They work, and work well. Comparatively compact, efficient, high-displacement engines have a market.

...and like you said:... nothing beats the lopey idle of a big cam in a OHV engine.

The new C7 is gorgeous! It looks like a 'Vette and a Ferrari had a child. Beautiful, powerful, and FAST!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 AM

yes, I agree, I like the Pushrod V8's mainly because they just sound better, I saw a new 5.0 the other day with a flowmaster catback and it sounded a little raspy like a supped up v6. The SS sounds 100 times better. But there a lot of people who like to think they have the latest high tech engine so they want the DOHC....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWu5...yer_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrr-6_S9pwU

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.

post #4 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Support MC & Troops

Nice right up & post Chapel.. I 2 (x4) + N'

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
yes, I agree, I like the Pushrod V8's mainly because they just sound better, I saw a new 5.0 the other day with a flowmaster catback and it sounded a little raspy like a supped up v6. The SS sounds 100 times better. But there a lot of people who like to think they have the latest high tech engine so they want the DOHC....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWu5...yer_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrr-6_S9pwU
Hahaha, I hear ya. Those engines sound horrible. Check these out...prepare to fall in love with some crazy idle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFMkHLZkDS0

All you hear is cam cam and more and more cam!! Even Dodge got it right...check this one...

And you're gonna get a kick outta this...my personal fave...even if it is a Dodge and not a Camaro...

Sound alone, pushrod will always be the way to go!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #6 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Garage
A big cam sounds amazing on a pushrod V8.
Hell, the stock cam on the 6.2 even lopes a bit!
Decel pop is nice too.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Even though a OHC design is a more stable valvetrain design for RPM's above 7,000, GM still is able to beat most all OHC engine equipped competitors in the ALMS and similar road racing with the antiquated pushrod design...and that shows just how good the GM engineers are. The main reason they maintain the OHV design is the customer base as Ford and others have all transitioned to OHC vs OHV configuration.

But it is probably going to change in the future.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Livin' the dream!

Garage
I agree Chapel.

Which also brings to mind a lot of gear heads at car shows like to ask Dodge or hot rod owners... does it have a Hemi?

My question to those gear heads... if Hemi's are so good, why do the vast majority of hot rodders and classic car owners go with the Chevy LS engine?

Makes you go hmmmm.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."... 2 Timothy 4:7
post #9 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 PM

I can say that I love ls engines for swapping purposes, easy to find parts and great interchangeability. The only thing I don't like is the cost to build one, my last ls1 build was almost $10,000 and that was with us doing all the machining work as well.

Pushrods for the world!!

NEOCC Member since 2013
post #10 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM
JacFab.com

Nice post... I'm not really a fan of OHC anything, usually it means there are timing belts which will eventually break much sooner than a chain will, and replacing timing belts sucks on anything but a Ford 2300 pinto engine lol!

I think eventually chevy will go away from the push rod design... I bet some day cams in general will be a thing of the past, and valves will be electronically or hydraulically operated

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro
Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket, Dynomax Axleback, JacFab CAI System, JacFab HFC's, Bo White ported TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page