Rituals... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Rituals...

Back in the 90s I used to rock a Z28 with a 5.0 and a carburetor. It was an 87, the last year of the carburetor for the F-Body. It was considered a computer controlled carburetor I think...but a carb nonetheless. And I would simply insert the key into the ignition, turn it, and start the car. Every now and again I would have to pump the gas to get it started. But then I bought an 87 IROC with a 5.7 TPI engine. My cousin had a few of them over the years and knew a lot more about cars than I did. So he saw me start the car the same way as I did the Z28 and told me not to ever start the car like that. He said that fuel injected engines are different. He told me to insert the key, turn it to the on position without starting it, listen for the fuel pump to engage, and then start the car after the pump stops. He said you have to let the fuel rails prime and pressurize before starting the car. And I carried that with me to this day. I cringe when I see someone just put the key in and turn it all the way.

But now I have developed an entire ritual for starting and driving my car. Check it out: I insert the key, turn it to the "ON" position, wait for the pump/rails to prime, press in the clutch, start the car, wait for the gauges to go all the way up and back down, then I take it out of gear, release the parking brake, and release the clutch. Before I drive off I press back on the clutch, put the car in gear, and I'm on my way. It seems like a lot, but its actually a quick process.

Parking rituals...when on an incline (front of the car on an upward slope, rear of the car on a downward slope) I use the parking brake and make sure the car is in 1st gear. When on a decline (rear of the car on an upward slope, front of the car on a downward slope), I use the parking brake and make sure the car is in reverse. In my parking lot, I put it in reverse with the parking brake. These are pretty much my only rituals that I keep almost religiously. If I stall in traffic (hey, it happens) then I obviously have to start the car and drive off so as not to embarrass myself or piss off drivers behind me. In my Mustang I do the same process minus the clutch because it is an automatic. But I always seem to leave the radio on the 3rd pre-set and I put all the heat/AC controls facing up...up happens to be the "OFF" position in my Mustang so I put the other controls up so it all looks the same. The Camaro, I never got into leaving the radio on any pre-set. But I usually leave the heat/AC control in the "OFF" position. And I usually on use the heat in the defrost/foot heater control. Maybe this is all a bit weird but in a way consistency shows that you take care of your car.

So I'm wondering if any of you have any procedures or rituals for starting, driving, or parking your car. I hope I'm not the only one, lol!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Not me.. sit down, put seatbelt on, clutch, put key in and start immediately, let clutch out with gas pedal and away I go.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #3 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I so love my remote start!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner

post #4 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'd never heard of a starting procedure like that.

about the best I can do is backing into the garage ... down the driveway, curve to the right, into reverse, look up at the camera and start backing to align with the door, once pretty close to straight and near the garage, switch to the side mirrors, make sure clear of the door sides, the dogs, and begin backing again. aim the passenger rear to the corner of the garage, make sure the wife has not angled to far on my side of the garage, back until the beeps are getting louder and the garage wall is fairly close. full brake and park.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #5 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I get in turn on the key, put on my seat belt, start the car and check the either heater or ac controls as needed.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I so love my remote start!
X2 !!!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Back in the 90s I used to rock a Z28 with a 5.0 and a carburetor. It was an 87, the last year of the carburetor for the F-Body. It was considered a computer controlled carburetor I think...but a carb nonetheless. And I would simply insert the key into the ignition, turn it, and start the car. Every now and again I would have to pump the gas to get it started. But then I bought an 87 IROC with a 5.7 TPI engine. My cousin had a few of them over the years and knew a lot more about cars than I did. So he saw me start the car the same way as I did the Z28 and told me not to ever start the car like that. He said that fuel injected engines are different. He told me to insert the key, turn it to the on position without starting it, listen for the fuel pump to engage, and then start the car after the pump stops. He said you have to let the fuel rails prime and pressurize before starting the car. And I carried that with me to this day. I cringe when I see someone just put the key in and turn it all the way.

But now I have developed an entire ritual for starting and driving my car. Check it out: I insert the key, turn it to the "ON" position, wait for the pump/rails to prime, press in the clutch, start the car, wait for the gauges to go all the way up and back down, then I take it out of gear, release the parking brake, and release the clutch. Before I drive off I press back on the clutch, put the car in gear, and I'm on my way. It seems like a lot, but its actually a quick process.

Parking rituals...when on an incline (front of the car on an upward slope, rear of the car on a downward slope) I use the parking brake and make sure the car is in 1st gear. When on a decline (rear of the car on an upward slope, front of the car on a downward slope), I use the parking brake and make sure the car is in reverse. In my parking lot, I put it in reverse with the parking brake. These are pretty much my only rituals that I keep almost religiously. If I stall in traffic (hey, it happens) then I obviously have to start the car and drive off so as not to embarrass myself or piss off drivers behind me. In my Mustang I do the same process minus the clutch because it is an automatic. But I always seem to leave the radio on the 3rd pre-set and I put all the heat/AC controls facing up...up happens to be the "OFF" position in my Mustang so I put the other controls up so it all looks the same. The Camaro, I never got into leaving the radio on any pre-set. But I usually leave the heat/AC control in the "OFF" position. And I usually on use the heat in the defrost/foot heater control. Maybe this is all a bit weird but in a way consistency shows that you take care of your car.

So I'm wondering if any of you have any procedures or rituals for starting, driving, or parking your car. I hope I'm not the only one, lol!!
i was told the same thing back in the late 90's with my first car (fuel injected)and i do the same thing few seconds while in the on position till i hear the fuel pump disengage. now a days i dont think it will matter or else why would they install factoty remote starts which just start it right up. thats just my logic, not that its right. I wonder if this is required still...

2011 2LT Coupe: BBK LT Headers w/ HF Cats. BBK CAI. AirAid TBS. Cat-Back Custom 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe and Pacesetter TFX Mufflers. Aggresive Trifecta 93 Octane Tune w/ Ghost Cam. 18" Advanti Summer Wheels and OEM 18" Stock Winter Wheels.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonny04 View Post
i was told the same thing back in the late 90's with my first car (fuel injected)and i do the same thing few seconds while in the on position till i hear the fuel pump disengage. now a days i dont think it will matter or else why would they install factoty remote starts which just start it right up. thats just my logic, not that its right. I wonder if this is required still...
Yes and with push to start I figure you don't really need to do it. I do it more as a force of habit. I've been doing it soo long that I can't start any fuel injected car without letting it prime.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
X2 !!!
Me THREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #10 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Garage
I always make sure stuff is turned off before I shut the car off. I don't leave my heater on, rear defroster, etc. Unplug anything plugged into my cigarette lighter.

I use reverse and parking brake no matter what way the car is facing.

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page