Rim Rash and What to Do? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Rim Rash and What to Do?

I posted several months ago about my 2011 Camaro RS vert. I bought it used and it is in immaculate condition except for what I think is severe rim rash on all four wheels. I wondered how this could have happened, and then I noticed when I looked at other used Camaros virtually all I saw had it. I have not repaired my wheels because the cost is $800, and I am not sure how the repair will look ... or how long it might last.

Do you have suggestions for rim replacements, or would you just go with the repair?

Thanks for your help. Other than the rim rash, the car is perfect to me and for me. Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Rim rash is just a fact of life for Camaro owners at some time or another. I had some once when the wife drove the car but had it fixed and all is good now. Just stay away from the "drive thru" car wash's, the pipes that guide your front tires are higher than some other types of washes and can scratch your rims when you have stock tires with little or no sidewall. I replaced the original tires with a set that have rim protection sidewalls just in case.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Rim rash is just a fact of life for Camaro owners at some time or another. I had some once when the wife drove the car but had it fixed and all is good now. Just stay away from the "drive thru" car wash's, the pipes that guide your front tires are higher than some other types of washes and can scratch your rims when you have stock tires with little or no sidewall. I replaced the original tires with a set that have rim protection sidewalls just in case.
That is some good advice...I never even thought that the car wash rails could possibly damage rims until I read your post.

OP, as JWD said, rims get damaged. mine were perfect until I rimmed my passenger side front and rear rims. However, If you're looking for replacements, you can find some people selling the stock rims for around $800. Or you can just get aftermarket rims and be super careful. But I personally would not spend $800 to get stock rims repaired...seriously, add another $200-$400 to that and get some nice aftermarket or custom rims!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!

post #4 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 AM

Garage
The best solution is to just do what I did and buy a new set of wheels and sell the rashed ones cheap.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Great advice -- thanks!

If I were to look for replacement rims, where should I look? Are there certain styles that look great on the Camaro? Mine is triple black and a convertible.

Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Rim rash. That god it was just the car, and not a more painful, medical issue!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Bully Proof

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromark View Post
If I were to look for replacement rims, where should I look? Are there certain styles that look great on the Camaro? Mine is triple black and a convertible.

Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!
Here's a good place to start...

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/ti...ur-wheels.html

This thread has a lot of different wheel styles already chosen by Camaro owners so you can see how they look. Most have the wheel style listed but if you like one that doesn't...I'm sure someone here can tell you what they are. Happy Hunting...and Thanksgiving!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM

I bought a set of 4 oem 20's off Craigslist for $400.00, they all had curb rash. I fixed them by using a combination of 220-2000 grit sandpaper, and then I polished them with some brown tripoli rouge and you can't even tell they had curb rash.

NEOCC Member since 2013
post #9 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Try this...it can work depending on how bad it is. Use a dremel tool starting with really coarse sandpaper and work your way down to super fine and polish it all out. You will still be able to notice it, but at the same time it won't be as bad.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't see the post above me....what he said

Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM

To resurface 20 inch rims cost should be 400 including paint. I would shop another repair shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page