Issues after driving through a puddle... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Issues after driving through a puddle...

So the past couple days here in Monmouth County we've been having some rain and winds. It was supposed to be a nor' eastern or however it's spelled. And so I decided to take a trip to the local Walmart around 4 am today. On my way there I drove through a decent puddle. Which is weird because all my life this section of the road I was on has never had a puddle like this. And I didn't even see it. So immediately after going through it I thought "Oh crap"...and sure enough weirdness occurred. My exhaust note got louder, the traction control seemed to not be operating, and my car felt like it was down by a significant amount of torque. I limped it about 2 or 3 miles, shut it off at a traffic light, and then re-started it hoping that would fix it. All to no avail. I then went in to Walmart did my shopping and returned to the car hoping that maybe it just needed to sit for a while. Still had the same problems. And the back-firing that is normal on the SS has increased both in sound and the amount. So I looked under the hood. Nothing wet under there, all plug wires intact, all sensors connected, etc. Drove home and let it sit for about 12 hours until this evening. I thought it would have dried out if there were any moisture anywhere but the car is still driving the same. Here is the crazy thing tho. It idles fine, all the gauges read fine, the RPMs are still co-relating appropriately with MPH, etc. I looked again under the hood and everything is ok. WTF man?

I am almost 100% certain that no water got sucked in through the Vararam intake. If it did then I am sure it would not have made it past the filter and even then I'm sure that the MAF would have shut the engine down as soon as it was sensed. So I'm at a loss of ideas. Again, idle is fine, no CEL or service indicators, no water or visible moisture anywhere, gauges are correct, no hesitation...its just louder than normal, sounds almost like it has a lopey cam, the traction control seems to not be working, and it is backfiring like crazy. Evidence points to perhaps the spark plugs or the wires. So that is where I'm going to start. However if it were a spark plug or wire then I'm pretty sure it would affect the idle. Maybe some water got sucked into the HF cats somehow? I guess that is possible. Well, if any of you have any experience with this sort of incident then let me know please...thanks!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
So the past couple days here in Monmouth County we've been having some rain and winds. It was supposed to be a nor' eastern or however it's spelled. And so I decided to take a trip to the local Walmart around 4 am today. On my way there I drove through a decent puddle. Which is weird because all my life this section of the road I was on has never had a puddle like this. And I didn't even see it. So immediately after going through it I thought "Oh crap"...and sure enough weirdness occurred. My exhaust note got louder, the traction control seemed to not be operating, and my car felt like it was down by a significant amount of torque. I limped it about 2 or 3 miles, shut it off at a traffic light, and then re-started it hoping that would fix it. All to no avail. I then went in to Walmart did my shopping and returned to the car hoping that maybe it just needed to sit for a while. Still had the same problems. And the back-firing that is normal on the SS has increased both in sound and the amount. So I looked under the hood. Nothing wet under there, all plug wires intact, all sensors connected, etc. Drove home and let it sit for about 12 hours until this evening. I thought it would have dried out if there were any moisture anywhere but the car is still driving the same. Here is the crazy thing tho. It idles fine, all the gauges read fine, the RPMs are still co-relating appropriately with MPH, etc. I looked again under the hood and everything is ok. WTF man?

I am almost 100% certain that no water got sucked in through the Vararam intake. If it did then I am sure it would not have made it past the filter and even then I'm sure that the MAF would have shut the engine down as soon as it was sensed. So I'm at a loss of ideas. Again, idle is fine, no CEL or service indicators, no water or visible moisture anywhere, gauges are correct, no hesitation...its just louder than normal, sounds almost like it has a lopey cam, the traction control seems to not be working, and it is backfiring like crazy. Evidence points to perhaps the spark plugs or the wires. So that is where I'm going to start. However if it were a spark plug or wire then I'm pretty sure it would affect the idle. Maybe some water got sucked into the HF cats somehow? I guess that is possible. Well, if any of you have any experience with this sort of incident then let me know please...thanks!!
I had the same problem on my old LS1 car, turns out my coil packs had got wet, had the same issues, I let it dry and the next day it was fine

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSSS View Post
I had the same problem on my old LS1 car, turns out my coil packs had got wet, had the same issues, I let it dry and the next day it was fine
Hmm, I suspected that but like I said the engine is idling smooth. I would think that a wet coil pack would cause a rough idle. But still, its worth taking a close look at. When you had the problem did your engine idle rough or throw a CEL? Thanks man!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #4 of 13 Old 11-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Check inside your CAI tube for moisture signs.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yea so it was just my exhaust came loose. And when I said "puddle", I didn't mean like a small puddle. I meant it was soo deep and soo much water that it almost stopped my car dead in its tracks from 45 mph. So I had a few of my exhaust pieces loosen up after the "puddle" incident and even my axle-back on the passenger side came completely off. I got under there, tightened everything up, and everything is back to normal. Thanks guys!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 13 Old 11-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Water will stop a bullet in a short distance as it is not compressible.... Thus it tore your exhaust apart, and to think some people think its o.k. to just rip through floods......lol

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #7 of 13 Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Glad it was an easy fix, Happy Thanksgiving!

2011 LS Coupe/RS clone
Oracle halo's, Katzkin covers, C.A.I. CAI, Hurst shift kit
Modern Camaro MOTM February 2015
post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 PM

wow, I guess it was good the exhaust wasn't all welded together, that could have done some real damage.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Yea so it was just my exhaust came loose. And when I said "puddle", I didn't mean like a small puddle. I meant it was soo deep and soo much water that it almost stopped my car dead in its tracks from 45 mph. So I had a few of my exhaust pieces loosen up after the "puddle" incident and even my axle-back on the passenger side came completely off. I got under there, tightened everything up, and everything is back to normal. Thanks guys!
Glad you found the problem, yea went i hit the puddle if set of a CEL and was running rough

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner
post #10 of 13 Old 11-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Not Camaro related - Although the same thing happened to my Xterra the other day. I went through a deep puddle the other day when we had some serious downpour here in South Florida - it ripped off my driver side Oxygen Sensor and caused the SES light to come on. The connector wire was torn to $hit. Had it replaced and all back to normal : / Can happen to anyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page