Emergency roadside kit anyone? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Emergency roadside kit anyone?

Years ago I used to keep a roadside kit in the trunk of my Mustang. You know, just in case I was ever out and needed to make some quick repairs to get myself home. It consisted of a small tool kit, an extra accessory belt, the spare tire with jack, a flash light, a tire repair kit, some fix-a-flat, an ice scraper (for the cold months), a can of brake cleaner and WD40, some rags, and sometimes an extra quart of oil, a small bottle of power steering fluid, a small amount of coolant, and brake fluid. It sounds like a lot but it actually wasn't. And the little extra weight was nothing if I had some peace of mind. But eventually those items all slowly began to disappear to the point where I kept my trunk empty. Even the spare tire and jack were eventually removed. All in the name of going faster.

Sometimes I think back and wonder if I should at least keep a small tool kit in the trunk of my Camaro. I already always keep an ice scrapper and flashlight. And I haven't been stuck in the Camaro yet so I don't really think it is necessary. But when you mod a vehicle, things have a tendency to break. So I'm thinking about getting a small kit to keep on hand. Definitely not all the stuff I used to keep. But some emergency stuff for sure. So what do you guys think about this? Would you keep a kit in your trunk? If so, then what would it consist of?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
This girl....NOT mechanically savvy...that's why I pay for AAA....AND my youngest is 25 and a KICKASS mechanic!!!!!!!

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #3 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Support MC & Troops

I've got a tool case, but need a kit..., me insurance has roadside assistance tho

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

post #4 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM

The thing that worries me the most is the lack of a spare tire in my SS. From what I understand, the doughnut will not fit over the Brembos and a full sized wheel and tire will not fit in the trunk indent. My emergency kit consists of a cell phone. Murphy's law would give you good odds that whatever you have in your kit will not be what you need. The last time that I rode back to Boston from Sturgis SD, I got a flat on my Harley in Princeton Illinois. I used my cell phone to call a Harley shop to come and get me. The days of fixing a flat on a spoke wheeled Harley on the side of the road are over. My present bike is a Streetglide with alloy wheels. For that I have a tubeless repair kit with Co-2 cartridges.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I concur ^^ the only thing in my trunk is the inflator kit that came with the vehicle and my 10inch sub and amp. ON a side note, the inflator kit works great, my wife and I had to drive seperate to the airport, she had to go up night before to take her dad to catch his plane, I met her up there the next day to fly out. We came back from our vacation, had a 6 hour plane delay, sucks.... found out when we landed that the AC went out at our house while we were gone... and after finally getting a shuttle to the vehicles that the Yukon had a flat tire.... ughhh .. anyway inflator kit worked great, just a nail in tire so we made it home.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #6 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
The thing that worries me the most is the lack of a spare tire in my SS. From what I understand, the doughnut will not fit over the Brembos and a full sized wheel and tire will not fit in the trunk indent. My emergency kit consists of a cell phone. Murphy's law would give you good odds that whatever you have in your kit will not be what you need. The last time that I rode back to Boston from Sturgis SD, I got a flat on my Harley in Princeton Illinois. I used my cell phone to call a Harley shop to come and get me. The days of fixing a flat on a spoke wheeled Harley on the side of the road are over. My present bike is a Streetglide with alloy wheels. For that I have a tubeless repair kit with Co-2 cartridges.
and which tire size would you use for your spare anyway?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM

I don't keep any of that and rely on roadside assistance, but I do keep a first aid kit which I have had to use on others in need.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSS View Post
I don't keep any of that and rely on roadside assistance, but I do keep a first aid kit which I have had to use on others in need.
Do you work in health care?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #9 of 22 Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
I got one from the dealer I bought my Frost from, I'll have to check, and see if GM made a updated one, that works,
the spare fits perfect in the hole.. I complained to them a bought the kit, its pretty worthless IMO.. so they gave me the spare
I was thinking a kit w/flares and first aid kit and other stuff you could use and maybe add in a fix-a-flat can

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #10 of 22 Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Do you work in health care?
No, CPA. Someone sliced there hand open pretty bad so I grabbed my kit, helped him wrap it and then he went to the ER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page