2010-2011 SS or performance mods on my V6 2LS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
2010-2011 SS or performance mods on my V6 2LS

Guys I have been going back and forth on whether I should continue looking into modifications for my 2012 V6 IOM 2LS or should I maybe start looking harder at getting a 2010-11 SS. I am not looking to get into some monster car payment, so a 2012, 13 or 14 SS is simply out of the question. I refuse to pay $35,000-40,000 for a car. However, where I live, I am seeing a lot of 2010-11 SS's being sold in the $23,000-26,000 range. My interest has be peaked to say the least.

That being said, I do love my V6 which to be honest has plenty of power for my needs as I am not one to go out on the weekends and drag race all over town. Oh and did I mention that I drive around 70 miles round trip each day for work, so the better fuel economy of the 6 cylinder is nice. Would the extra HP and growl of the V8 be nice? Sure, but in the long run I am thinking a new exhaust and cold air intake would beef up my V6 enough to make me forget about the gas sucking SS's! What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Extra HP is always nice. My SS gets me 23MPG with a mix of highway and mountain driving, so it's not that much different than the six. A few bucks a week for more power. Well worth it, and I drive 120 miles round trip daily.

If you want the SS, and keep modding your six, you'll always wish you got the SS, so why not go for a preowned SS?

The SS has a lower stance than the six already, so no lowering kit is necessary unless you want it slammed.

It also handles significantly better than the six, with a different suspension, and don't forget the TORQUE of that 6.2L V8 and the sound of a pushrod V8 can't be beat.

Sell your Camaro outright, then buy the SS. Don't trade. You'll take a beating any time your trade. That's where the dealer makes his money.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I think I see where my difference in gas mileage might be ... I drive 32 miles each way, so about 65 round trip and get 19/19.5 consistently ... those extra miles must be giving you a better warm up and mpg ... just saying ... otherwise I think I agree with all the rest Patriot says ... just didn't want to overplay the better mileage too much ... I do get 22 /23 on longer "highway" trips.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

I noticed a HUGE difference in MPG with the V6 over the SS. OP, if gas mileage is a big deal, then do not get the SS. I drive about 40 miles round trip to work 3 times a week. And then I drive about 3.6 to 4.4 miles every day to the gym. Outside of that I do some local driving around to Walmart, Stop&Shop, maybe about 40 miles round trip to a friend's house once a week. Not a whole lot of driving. But I usually have to fill up once every 5-7 days. Sometimes I can squeeze an extra couple days. I'd say I average about $60 a week in gas. The 2012 2LT I had to rent lasted 2 weeks on a full tank. That is twice as much. And you have to factor in the temptation of driving the SS harder. I didn't have that temptation with the 2LT so I drove more civilized. Which has to account somewhat for the better gas mileage. You're driving a significant amount more than I do. So I think you'll be spending a car payment a month on gas in the SS.

If you've done the math and you think the SS is the way to go. The yea you can get a 2010 fully optioned out for around the low to mid 20s if you start shopping now. Your best bet is to find a low mileage SS that has been sitting for a few weeks. The dealer will be desperate to get rid of it which will give you the advantage at negotiating.

If you're gonna keep your car, then the standard mods (cai, headers, exhaust, tune, udp) will get you some excitement and retain or improve your mpgs. It might just be enough to hold you over until you're ready for an SS. Even a small 50 shot of nitrous might do it for you!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 AM

well my stock SS M6 got me 29mpg if I tried @55-60. with 3.91 gears and a tune I still get 27mpg @75 on the highway.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member

on my break in ride home SC to VA (650 miles) I got about 22 ... mostly 70-75mph ... haven't done much true highway since then

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

The turbo V6's I have done still get 25-28 plus MPG on the highway, the SuperCharged ones just a bit less, and although the V8 has the sound you can never duplicate, the V6 has the ability to beat most mildly modded V8's and still have great fuel economy.

So if you want the fuel economy, Chapel is right on. Or get the new 2014 vette...some are reporting over 40 mpg highway!!!! Just no room for kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page