How to Disable Onstar - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

How to Disable Onstar

in light of the latest revelations, as if we didn't expect this,,

Ford exec backpedals after saying it tracks drivers

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101323703

this is soon to come everywhere

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-privacy-cost/

is there an easy to disable onstar? could it be as simple as unplugging an antenna somewhere??

Jesus,, I hate the GD government and all its losers.

Honestly it almost makes me want to sale the car and just get pre-1996 Fbody in good shape, problem is that those old cars are made with plastic that cracks & falls apart after 10-15 years,, I just wish I had not put $2000 in modding my 2012. Anything post 1996 has the OBD2 which the government also has the ability to shut off remotely with a radio frequency,, ironically the 1996 telecommunications act is the first where the government required all cell phone manufacturers to track consumers locations with a high accuracy...

and don't think the govt is doing this crap for craps & giggles, they dam sure plan on using this stuff,, this aint a game it's serious business,,

I'm saving some money to buy an old car just because of this,, I plan on keeping the 2012 but I'll have back-ups,,

notice how the American companies started making really nice cars like the Camaro as soon as they developed all this new surveillance??,,, Do you think that is by mistake? I don't.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 01-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
sdk
Veteran Member

Garage
Call OnStar and tell them you want to cancel your subscription.

2017 Camaro SS
South Carolina
post #3 of 15 Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk View Post
Call OnStar and tell them you want to cancel your subscription.
that doesn't stop the government from using it to snoop... they have microphones in the car,, gps, computers that track spped and everything,, and ofcourse the government is behind this,, we live in a fascist country where the government tells the corporations what to do.

in the near future they will be monitoring completely and will send you speeding tickets and everything though this onstar system... they will tax you by the mile and ration your mileage,, insurance companies will monitor It and adjusts your rates depending on how you drive,, anyone who drives like a normal human being will then be priced out of driving,, progressive insurance Is now doing this with a monitoring recorder in your car but they give you a discount to have it...

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by Envy; 01-29-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Political in nature

post #4 of 15 Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Cyber, I understand your beef with the government. But you have to understand, our government is still one of the best ones if not THE best one out there. Look at it like this, people leave their crappy country to come here and do everything they would have done back in their original home country. Why? Because they can actually enjoy their customs and traditions and cultures and decisions better here in America than they can back in the country that came up with their customs and traditions and cultures. This is probably the only country on the planet where someone can be born poor and in poverty and still become wealthy and powerful. So don't write the good ole US of A off just yet.

As far as OnStar, there was a write-up on how to disable it. Simply cancelling your subscription will not do it. You have to get in there and take certain parts out of the car. And while this may help you if you ever rob a bank and are fleeing from the man (since Onstar won't be able to disable your car at the request of the law), there really is no reason for a law abiding citizen to go through the trouble of removing it all. You have no illegal activities planned, you won't be driving through drug infested streets with several pounds of cocaine and heroin in your trunk, and you aren't planning on self-detonating inside crowded mall...so more than likely the government is not keeping tabs on you. The technology exists so that if you were to do one of the above scenarios, then they could prevent it. But its not like they're gonna track you at 3 am while you're on your way to a diner after the clubs close. And it isn't likely that they'll even care if every now and then you do a small burst and accelerate a few mph north of the speed limit.

And besides, there are soo many ways for them to spy on us if they want. GPS, video cameras on streets and at intersections, cell phone tracking, etc. Even your own car pretty soon. They were testing OBD-2 some years ago and developed a way for your vehicle's computer to communicate with small devices that could be placed along the road. Your ECU could report your speed, braking, etc...and the device was able to communicate with over 100 cars simultaneously. So trust me, if they wanna spy on us, they WILL do it. But like I said, they aren't looking for a few people who may occasionally enjoy a spirited blast down a secluded road...they're looking for real bad guys. Just trying to ease your mind a bit.

I'll find that link and post it later.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

How to disable and REMOVE Onstar---> because it is spying on you whether its on or o

How to disable OnStar? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Here are two good places to start.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 AM
Support MC & Troops

+1 Your awesome Chapel..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #7 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM

In 2009 when I got my SS I went to New England Dragway to try her out. I let 11 pounds of air out of both back tires. The next day I got an email from onstar telling me that my back tires were down 11 pounds the night before. The same thing happened for the next 2 times at Epping. I came on this sight and was very concerned as the owners manual states that you can lose your warranty for participating in competition. Some of the "inteligent" answers that I got was "go take off your tin foil hat" and other equally funny comments. This is a real issue because anything that can be turned off can be turned back on and they CAN listen into your Camaro because they all have phones in the onstar. I don't buy the "if you aren't doing anything wrong" argument.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddan View Post
In 2009 when I got my SS I went to New England Dragway to try her out. I let 11 pounds of air out of both back tires. The next day I got an email from onstar telling me that my back tires were down 11 pounds the night before. The same thing happened for the next 2 times at Epping. I came on this sight and was very concerned as the owners manual states that you can lose your warranty for participating in competition. Some of the "inteligent" answers that I got was "go take off your tin foil hat" and other equally funny comments. This is a real issue because anything that can be turned off can be turned back on and they CAN listen into your Camaro because they all have phones in the onstar. I don't buy the "if you aren't doing anything wrong" argument.
I saw a Youtube video some years ago about a guy in a suped up CTS-V. He took it to the track and took off soo hard that Onstar thought the car was in a rear end collision, lol. I can't find that video. Just thought it was funny.

But anyway, a lot of those features serve a purpose. It is for safety and to ensure a properly running vehicle. If I were married, I would feel safe knowing that my wife won't get stuck out in the middle of a deserted road somewhere with a flat tire or a blown engine from low oil pressure. If I had a 17 year old daughter, likewise...I would feel comfortable knowing that Onstar can alert me to certain hazards or problems with the car. God forbid some maniac messes with your car in the middle of the night or something. Or tries to kidnap you...at least Onstar can listen in. If anything, any person would feel safe knowing that at least someone is listening in and can disable the vehicle if need be. If you go over a ditch and are incapacitated, at least emergency services can be alerted. So it isn't all doom and gloom. And like I said before, they aren't interested in a person who occasionally enjoys their car. Manufacturers and dealerships KNOW that these cars get taken to the track. Thats why the car comes with the option to put it in competitive driving mode which is straight up for launching at the track. More and more cars are coming with launch control, rev matching, etc. The Mustang Boss comes with a track key and a daily driving key. So they know whats up. And look at the other thread on here about how fast people drive their cars. Not one of them got an alert or email from Onstar. Is it recorded somewhere? Probably. I mean, if you slam into someone at 115 mph then you're pretty much gonna get ratted out. And if you're throwing slicks on, installing 4.56 gears, and dropping the clutch at 4,000 rpms 6 times a night every few days, then thats a different story also. But you're not gonna get penalized for enjoying your car responsibly.

And like I said before, you can always disable it and remove everything so they can't monitor or shut down your car.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #9 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I think that if OnStar had a decent nav system, I might consider it, but the way it is it is so intensive, it is ridiculous. I think the accident stuff is so few and far between and there are many other options. I mean, really, worst case, you use it twice. I'd say there is a chance of once, but, in reality, that once is not going to be a life or death situation. sure, it happens, but people also get hit walking across the road.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Garage
The gumment would fall asleep tracing my Camaro around. It spends 80% or the time stored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page