Underhood fuse for grille LED wiring? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Underhood fuse for grille LED wiring?

Is there a fuse I can tap into in the underhood fuse box so that some LED strips I'm putting in the grille will be on when the car is running and not when it isn't? I'd like to not have to use a physical switch or run the power wire all the way into the interior thru the firewall to the drivers side fuse box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Better check your local laws to see what color if any you can use. So you don't get a ticket.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy11RS View Post
Is there a fuse I can tap into in the underhood fuse box so that some LED strips I'm putting in the grille will be on when the car is running and not when it isn't? I'd like to not have to use a physical switch or run the power wire all the way into the interior thru the firewall to the drivers side fuse box.
Considering your car has the RS package, what I would do, is get one of the DRL harnesses that allows your DRLs to stay on both during the day and when your headlights come on. Then, T-tap or splice into the DRL power wires.

Car on, DRLs on, LEDs on.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month

post #4 of 12 Old 02-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Better check your local laws to see what color if any you can use. So you don't get a ticket.

OP - No red or blue anywhere close to 71, 75, or 275!! Kenwood cops are bad for the same as well. Those colors, in areas municipalities covered by Ohio's State Highway Patrol will get you nailed every time. Unsure of Cincy PD though..

Great idea, but be smart with it!!
~RA
post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinAround View Post

OP - No red or blue anywhere close to 71, 75, or 275!! Kenwood cops are bad for the same as well. Those colors, in areas municipalities covered by Ohio's State Highway Patrol will get you nailed every time. Unsure of Cincy PD though..

Great idea, but be smart with it!!
~RA

These are just white strips. I put one each inside my Street Scene lower grille ducts. I have them working now; found the right fuse, etc. Look great IMHO. Thanks.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy11RS View Post
These are just white strips. I put one each inside my Street Scene lower grille ducts. I have them working now; found the right fuse, etc. Look great IMHO. Thanks.
Pics? Where did you hook it up?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
PICS!!! If you can, a daytime pic of the install location, and a night shot with them lit up!!

Thanks!
~RA

'14 V6 1LT Auto w/Roof - Blacked markers, dipped rims, blacked BowTies

post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
For grand total of about $5 I installed one small white LED (six lights) strip in each of my lower grille ducts. They're only on then the car is on which is all I wanted, nothing fancy or complicated. I tapped into F15 in the underhood fuse box and grounded it to a bolt in the fenderwell area to the left of the fuse box. I think they turned out nice but I'm definitely going to remove the tint film I put on my DRL's about a year ago so the "color" matches a little better. Car is dirty I know; it's been a killer winter here and this is, for better or worse, my DD.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks looks good ... I like the headlight covers a lot, but was told in no uncertain terms by the state police that they were a no go in Virginia, even during the daytime, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I'd have to agree with you that the white to yellow is a bit off.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks looks good ... I like the headlight covers a lot, but was told in no uncertain terms by the state police that they were a no go in Virginia, even during the daytime, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I'd have to agree with you that the white to yellow is a bit off.
I've had the headlight covers on pretty much continuously for a year and a half. I drive everyday from Kentucky, super-briefly into Indiana, then to my job in Ohio (sounds like a lot but it's only about 25 miles each way) and never been hasseled by cops. I was even pulled over once for speeding (cop liked the fact I was a vet and let me go with a warning) and he didn't mention them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page