those saying Camaro is too heavy are Crazy - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

those saying Camaro is too heavy are Crazy

I just test drove a 2011 SS with a stick shift today,, and that thing was crazy... ofcourse it was 28 degree outside and probably didn't have the best tires but I was going up hill on an onramp in third gear, I punched the gas,, not even that hard and it started to fishtail at about 4000 rpm and 50 mph,, you barely touch the gas going around a turn in 2nd and it slides out,,

it's just crazy,, why do people say it needs to be lighter? when you can burn out at 50mph,, you don't want the car to be any lighter...

and let me make this statement,, lighter weight doesn't make a better handling car,, tires , rims and suspension make a better handling car..

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
you don't want the car to be any lighter...

and let me make this statement,, lighter weight doesn't make a better handling car,, tires , rims and suspension make a better handling car..
To a degree. But I guarantee you a car that weighs less with equal HP and suspension levels, tires etc will out hustle a heavier car. It's just physics....

Just imagine your test drive with 200+ HP at the rear wheels!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just test drove a 2011 SS with a stick shift today,, and that thing was crazy... ofcourse it was 28 degree outside and probably didn't have the best tires but I was going up hill on an onramp in third gear, I punched the gas,, not even that hard and it started to fishtail at about 4000 rpm and 50 mph,, you barely touch the gas going around a turn in 2nd and it slides out,,

it's just crazy,, why do people say it needs to be lighter? when you can burn out at 50mph,, you don't want the car to be any lighter...

drive doing that from a stop, and let the clutch roll out then hammer it and then u will see why it needs to be lighter lol

2012 1SS/RS IBM M6 Halltech YellowJacket CAI, Kooks 1/7/8 LT's Corsa Sport CatBack SLP 160 Stat
426/424 rwhp/rwtq Kaltech Tune SOLD!!!!

April 2013 COTM Winner

post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

It is a fast car indeed. But consider this about weight...the LS3 manual trans SS is a 13.0-13.3 sec car in the quarter bone stock with a good driver. The 370Z is a 13.2-13.5 sec car in the quarter bone stock with a good driver. Yet the SS out muscles the 370Z by 2 cylinders, 2.5 liters, about 100 hp and over 100 ft/lbs of tq. Big difference is that the 370Z is about 500 lbs lighter. Handling? The SS pulls a 0.88 through the slalom...the base 370Z pulls a 1.0.

Weight plays a big part in performance and handling. Especially when we're talking about 500 extra pounds. Thats like putting five 100 lbs dumbells in the 370. However, the Camaro has to have that extra size because it is a retro car. A car of that size is gonna have extra weight. Look at the Challenger...that tank is like SUV weight. Camaro needs to try to drop at least a couple hundred pounds. If we can get to where the Mustang is then we will have a performance improvement!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

well, the 370 is also a 2 seater,,and probably has better & wider tires proportionate to its weight,, I would think the CG on both would be pretty close,, probably a slight advantage to the 370 due to the small roof,,

its really a factor of centrifugal force (a factor of weight and speed) / friction of the tires ( a factor of tire material properties and weight)

so mathematically, yes, the bigger the weight,, the less effect the tire properties matter...therefore a lighter car will be able to pull a higher G with the same tires,,

but a 500# difference is not that much, it could be made up with bigger/better set of tires on the SS, then it could probably handle just as good,, how does the ZL1 do with 11" all around?

now the mustang has a smaller motor,, it has a more spread out power band,, the SS is probably putting out a lot more torque.. So if you take 400# off the SS it's going to be even more out of control unless you get much better tires..

I just think taking a lot of weight off of the SS would be a disaster,, what it really needs is wider & better tires,.. now 200# is not a lot of weight,, but it would give it less grip.

but all this performance talk really isn't what matters,.. yeah a second here or there, a slightly higher G,, what really matters is how fun the car is to drive..

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 02-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
well, the 370 is also a 2 seater,,and probably has better & wider tires proportionate to its weight,, I would think the CG on both would be pretty close,, probably a slight advantage to the 370 due to the small roof,,

its really a factor of centrifugal force (a factor of weight and speed) / friction of the tires ( a factor of tire material properties and weight)

so mathematically, yes, the bigger the weight,, the less effect the tire properties matter...therefore a lighter car will be able to pull a higher G with the same tires,,

but a 500# difference is not that much, it could be made up with bigger/better set of tires on the SS, then it could probably handle just as good,, how does the ZL1 do with 11" all around?

now the mustang has a smaller motor,, it has a more spread out power band,, the SS is probably putting out a lot more torque.. So if you take 400# off the SS it's going to be even more out of control unless you get much better tires..

I just think taking weight off of the SS would be a disaster,, what it really needs is wider & better tires,..
The SS's suspension is no comparison to the ZL-1's. 500 pounds is a HUGE difference man.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #7 of 19 Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 AM

All Camaro's are too fat. Hell that is half the reason mine drives so great in the snow.

Daily Driver, 13', LFX, 6L50, 1LT, Summit White (GAZ) Camaro, [email protected]
Weekend Racer, 99', LD9/LG0/W41, 4T40E, Aquamarine Z24, Rebuild/upgrade In-Process, 13s here I come
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Garage
It's that OnStar fin, it weighs a good 2 lbs.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
It's that OnStar fin, it weighs a good 2 lbs.
I painted mine so mine's a little heavier

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #10 of 19 Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
I painted mine so mine's a little heavier
OMG. What were you thinking man?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page