Catback Vs. Axelback - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
Catback Vs. Axelback

Hey guys, I am looking at doing something with my exhaust system on my 2012 V6 and was wondering what the performance gains would be between doing a Catback or an axel back exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Axleback would be pretty much immeasurable. It's done primarily for sound and weight reduction. The catback could get you a few ponies with the loss of the resonator(s) but without serious engine mods or a power adder would again be mostly for weight reduction and sound....

Headers (can't do these on an LFX due to the integral manifolds) or removing/replacing the cats with hi-flows would get you more....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
So then just go the cheaper route and just do the Axelbacks since my main goal is an improved sound. I see a lot of guys who seem to put a ton of $$$ trying to beef up the horsepower and torque in their V6's and to me it would make more sense to just go buy a 2010-2012 SS which would give you a car with all of the engine sound and horse power they are trying to gain through mods on a V6! Where I live, I can get a 2010 or 11 SS for under $25K now.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have a MagnaFlow axle back with an x-pipe and most everyone loves how it sounds.

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSkullZxx View Post
So then just go the cheaper route and just do the Axelbacks since my main goal is an improved sound.
Yes, for the most part that would do it. Though as bama below stated, an x-pipe would really help with the V6 "rasp"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaproshop View Post
I have a MagnaFlow axle back with an x-pipe and most everyone loves how it sounds.
I searched long and hard, listened to a sh1tload of sound bites, hung out at my fav exhaust shop to hear different stuff coming off their racks and in the end I went with Magnaflow as well. Though I was looking for a really deep tone so I went with their 3" Stainless Competition Catback... Always felt like there was something holding the car back until I went to the 3" but then again I have that angry b1tch Maggie under the hood!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM

On a V6 I'd say Axleback, especially if don't want to spend a lot of money on a V6.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

You can find some companies that sell cat-backs for the same or even less than other companies charge for an axle-back. Shop around. And my recommendation is to go with a full cat-back. See, I hate having a mis-matched exhaust.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page