Cold air induction doubters - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Cold air induction doubters

Being on another popular site and clashing with some people who do not even own Gen 5 Camaros about the Cold Air Inductions intake they seem to feel that the CAI is just for looking at and does not perform as well as what I have seen through tests so I thought I would give these old posts from their site a post on here for those who have questioned which is best.

Yes the CAI did the best in the test and became the control intake for the second test with its low fuel trim and lack of pulling timing with a steady fuel trim, and the best in every category for well everything. This is in the spreadsheet from Jannetty, and I thought I would post this old sheet here as well. You see I saw a guy buy a other brand of intake on his post which well it looked bad and cheap, and was missing the rubber seals on a engine forum post with his halltech intake.

I know halltech makes lots of expensive corvette intakes, yet feel the Camaro one they made is not the best especially for $400 also and feel if he wants it to perform better he should get a scoop also to maybe help it out. And the stock CAI without the scoop was also very good in its performance and only pulled timing after 6000 rpm, the CAI with a scoop pulled no timing ever.

You see some times you know what you know and if you do your homework its really nice to share. And am glad I have come here. I cannot wait until the 5th when my car gets its new cam and everything else to include headers at Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver, And thank you to the member who recommended them as I am sure after talking with them it will be awesome and will post the results on here. Have a great Day, and share info its the only way those of us who do know something get to learn, and learning is a lifelong process.

JANNETTY RACING V8 CAI TEST PART 2 RESULTS - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that CAI is one of the best cold air intakes available for the 5th Generation Camaro. But I do not think it is THE best. As far as the dyno, that is just one car on one day on one dyno which CAI happened to perform better than the others. Change one of those variables (different car or different day or different dyno) and a different dyno may have been better. Also, there are many different things that can affect a dyno. For example, CAI performed better like I said on this particular car on this particular dyno on this particular day...but add a set of headers or another mod into the mix and a different intake may produce higher numbers. And then again, track times may be better with an intake like Vararam or New Era intake which draws in cooler air in a straighter more direct path than CAI. I think CAI makes a great product and I would never take that from them. But there are LOTS of great intakes out there. Even K&N...for the price, K&N shows some really good numbers.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 24 Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

My right foot and ears tell me all I need to know, a good cold air intake really opens this baby's lungs so she can breathe.
Then open the exhaust so she can exhale.

Big Daddy
Macon, GA

Last edited by big-daddy; 02-24-2014 at 05:21 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 PM
xxSkullZxx

Garage
I want to put in a cold air intake, but I am afraid it will void my warranty on my 2012.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Premium Member

won't void the warranty

Big Daddy
Macon, GA
post #6 of 24 Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM

CAI is our #1 pick looking at them as a combination of power gains, fitment, and quality of the products, they stand above the rest. Now that said, several others are excellent performers as well, but CAI is at the top in all categories.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
CAI is our #1 pick looking at them as a combination of power gains, fitment, and quality of the products, they stand above the rest. Now that said, several others are excellent performers as well, but CAI is at the top in all categories.
No they aren't. They are ONE of the best. They are not THE best. That one or two hp they may have made over other top brands in the one comparo Jannetty did will not make a bit of difference in the quarter mile. And furthermore I'd put money that on a 2010-2012 the Vararam and/or New Era intakes would have a faster time and MPH in the quarter. CAI may be the most popular, but that does not in any way make them better.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 24 Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-daddy View Post
won't void the warranty
I just got an extended warranty on my 2011 2LT with 17k miles. Is this a fact that it won't void the warranty?

2011 SummitWhite 2LT/RS (SOLD)
2010 Black 2LT/RS (ZLRS) (Current)
ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

its a cold air intake and it does not void a warranty because its just making the air flow better and get filtered better. And it does not require a tune. when shopping for intake I also liked the vararam but it did not fit my year, and what years it does fit required tilting the radiator back a little. There are a lot of manufacturers of this product, some look better for aftermarket intake some look cheaper, and the deal is if you have any product on your car that requires you to alter the stock tune it voids your powertrain warranty and the dealer would use the tune and subsequent boost in power to say you have exceeded the stock power level of the car by increasing it far beyond original equipment, and I have never heard of anyone getting hassled over a better air intake, more likely for headers and a tune, or a cam shaft for sure and a tune, just plain heads without a tune.... if they are shorties should get by without being hassled and wont send codes , as g.m. sells performance shorty headers, they also sell the 3.91 gears.........yet if they do not install them they may want to deny anything... or only if you can prove they were installed by a real reputable place I have heard. And usually extended warranties are useless and a waste of money unless it is a problem car in the first year .

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #10 of 24 Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
its a cold air intake and it does not void a warranty because its just making the air flow better and get filtered better. And it does not require a tune. when shopping for intake I also liked the vararam but it did not fit my year, and what years it does fit required tilting the radiator back a little. There are a lot of manufacturers of this product, some look better for aftermarket intake some look cheaper, and the deal is if you have any product on your car that requires you to alter the stock tune it voids your powertrain warranty and the dealer would use the tune and subsequent boost in power to say you have exceeded the stock power level of the car by increasing it far beyond original equipment, and I have never heard of anyone getting hassled over a better air intake, more likely for headers and a tune, or a cam shaft for sure and a tune, just plain heads without a tune.... if they are shorties should get by without being hassled and wont send codes , as g.m. sells performance shorty headers, they also sell the 3.91 gears.........yet if they do not install them they may want to deny anything... or only if you can prove they were installed by a real reputable place I have heard. And usually extended warranties are useless and a waste of money unless it is a problem car in the first year .
How good are the gm performance shorties as compared to others as compared to long tubes? I know there is a drop off for shorties as compared to LTs but I'm still in the balancing act for warranty also ... I am kind of believing the gm's just cost more than other shorties?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page