Cam and header install, top of line TSP ls3 cam and Stainless power - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Cam and header install, top of line TSP ls3 cam and Stainless power

Hello fellow Camaro drivers! Had a cam and header install at Wongs Performance Engineering in Vancouver Washington, and thank you for the recommendation to the member here. It was worth the drive and the sales tax as now I am putting down 490 rwhp on a mustang dyno! And some day with a ported throttle body I will reach 500..and maybe who knows on a dynojet...lol I imagine I am at 550/560 flywheel and that's great for a daily driver naturally aspirated car!!! whoopee, I am happy!!!

SO here is the link to his facebook page he put my car on it!!! and it has a clip of its idle cold too, how nice of him!! Couldn't be happier with just a CAI intake, stainless power headers and high flow cats, with a TSP cam to get this result and his prices are reasonable! I bought all the parts and stuff to save on some sales tax as I am in Oregon home of no sales tax.... here is a link to the face book page I am Mark. Thank you all for your cordial friendliness here and sharing advice, Mark.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wongs...g/115667950915

oh and there may be a ton of other cars on his facebook like zr1, zo6, zl1 etc... with vids you may like, lol.

Welcome to Wong's Performance Engineering

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Those are good numbers...but they seem a little high for the mods you have. What stage is that cam? Is it very aggressive? Did they give you a dyno graph to look at? Not trying to rain on your parade here...I'm just a little curious about it.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM

ported throttle body wont increase HP, it just increases throttle response.

But really good numbers there. I have to geet mine dyno'd and I'm hoping to be around 475 RWHP with my mods.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM

On the LS3/L99 the VMax CNC ported unit will yield from 6-12 rwhp, so your not far from your goal. Was the dyno SAE corrected or standard? If standard with the cold air thats about right, a little high for SAE corrected.

Either way congrats!!! Keeps a smile on the face!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

this is the dyno and here is the cam card. maybe upside down....

Drove it a few hundred miles today, pulls real hard good.... makes fifth and sixth gear more usable, also makes you not want to be in sixth at 60 mph, and it likes to have revs up to go to the next gear more than the stock cam down low..... I had torque management altered and the 1-4 skip shift disabled. I had to have all the o2 sensors disabled as after 40-50 miles even the front o2s threw a couple codes from o2 delay. It definitely rocks and sounds cammed big time. When it opens up on the freeway with the headers its all business and jerks back off as the dual mode lets it flow and it can roar down low if I hit it hard it is really nice and raspy loud like a freight train. Real nice metallic exhaust note, with the dual mode only a tiny bit of free flowing slight whistle sound noticeable when driving slow through exhaust, ( can not hear it when getting on it). Drives like a bat outta hell. It will surge if you do not rev it enough to move when letting off the clutch just as a good cam should....some would call it bucking maybe, I call it not knowing how to drive and the car not wanting to drive five mph unless its going to coast and just let out the clutch occasionally as lets face it the clutch is stiff to just let barely out. The car rocks mildly from the lope of the cam, cannot take the grin off my face when driving, reminds me of my last Chevelle, only better. I call this the " kicks butt and takes names cam".
Embarassed a few people today as they thought they owned the road, until they slunk away with their tail between their legs staring at my taillights as they backed off permanently. Felt real nice to have that power again! I used to make my chevelle rock on the freeway tapping the throttle to make it laugh at people through exhaust note..... No need with this, the exhaust opens up so much it makes it own statement then quiets down like a purring kitten. Somewhere a srt8 jeep owner, some high end bimmer, and a Mercedes driver are impressed along with a few others.

Never could stand tail gaters or people who think they are all that and cut you off or pass on the right and endanger people. I would rather embarrass them, and if they are a nut...well let em go.... Some people think they have to get somewhere yesterday, I do not, I just like to let em know they have to share the road with rides that can embarrass theirs if they are gonna be a jerk.

Oil pressure is just like normal, and the tuner says I should not worry about checking on the springs for at least 25 thousand miles or more depending on how hard I drive it. I have .675 springs.... Running the stock oil pump and stock single roller timing chain and plan to someday up grade them along with the tensioner to the ls2 one but I will give the stock stuff a run before I do as they are good fro a good long while. I had a underdrive pulley and the two belts and he said I should forgo the pulley as it looked cheap to him and maybe aluminum? I just think he did not want to have to hassle with it, so I am stuck trying to resell it as I cannot return it, maybe I will do a fluidampr someday with the bottom end stuff..drop pan timing chain etc. Its a tsp underdrive and I paid $220 for it with belts, I would sell it for 120$ and did not want to piss my tuner off...lol I know lots of guys have them and they are fine.

Anyway as you can see from the dyno this cam pulls hard way up to the bitter end, the torque drops off at 6 grand a little but hey I am pleased as punch with my choice and sure it will make a excellent daily driver cam for me the old hot rodder. And p.s. I got over 20 mpg avg getting on it on the highway about 200 miles...some times over 23 mpg. And I think the dyno is SAE its a mustang...... notoriously stingy like way lower than a dynojet according to some.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 03-12-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

and chapel my friend this cam is the bomb....... this is the one the tsp guys guarantees makes the most power or he gives you it for free, or swaps it for a less powerful cam if it scares you...lol

post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
and chapel my friend this cam is the bomb....... this is the one the tsp guys guarantees makes the most power or he gives you it for free, or swaps it for a less powerful cam if it scares you...lol
LOL, can't argue against a deal like that!! I just might have to give them a call. How is the driveability at lower RPMs?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Its real good yet you have to rev it enough, it is nice not having the skip shift, and have been using third gear for a change to keep the revs up. I do like to keep the car quiet usually and the dual mode is great for that yet if I want to go fast its loud from the headers now more than ever ! It does good when your into a higher gear like in highway cruising, and your in the right gear, going slow like 40 and below I used to use fourth because it ranged easier from 20-40 and now I use third more as fourth is too high to keep the revs up enough and I do not want to bog it as its like a raped ape on steroids that does not want to go slow. It is a totally different car, now its a super muscle car that is not into shifting too soon from gear to gear below at least 2000 rpm. In first you have to rev it up to that or it will surge....like as in its a cam that in a automatic they would have you install a 2800 rpm converter or more per recommendations. I love it.
here is the cam from their website, I bought it in a kit with the springs and asked for 7.425 pushrods in length as that's what it needed according to my builder. I also bought the gasket set there, and went with the option to get the three bolt cam gear for 30$ as its the right gm one with bolts, and the gasket set came with the new arp bolt for the harmonic balancer change , the gasket set was $60, and the cam kit was $750 with an additional $50 for .675 springs due to the high lift instead of .650. It has a dyno graph on the cam page that's a little blue symbol that compares this cam on the engine dyno to the next best cam in a nomad they installed them in....or on the engine dyno before install into the nomad? anyway its like 560+h.p. on the engine dyno, and it as you can tell by the dyno chart is a cam that does not give up..... it just keeps climbing in h.p., and my dyno run was limited to 6400 rpm and I kept my limiter stock settings for safety of my engine which has a 6600? limiter. My builder I talked to a lot and he made all the correct changes and recommends checking the springs after 25,000 miles if I run it hard. Well that's five years about for me, and it can be a lot longer than that if things are fine and I do not drag race it a bunch. I just ordered a lpw rear end cover and bmr trailing arms and some differential poly bushings to be safe.

Texas Speed LS3 235/239 .639"/623" 3-Bolt Camshaft

base price $399.99
item# 25-235239 Previous Up Next"
The all new line of LS3 camshafts are a result of months of engine dyno camshaft development using our state of the art Superflow 902 engine dyno. Using a brand new LS3 crate engine we started from scratch to build the most power LS3 camshafts available in the country.

The 235/239 camshaft uses a all new proprietary intake lobe designed to offer extra duration while maintaining proper p/v clearance for stock piston ls3/ l92 engines. The result of these lobe design changes is a camshaft that makes more power than the popular 231/236 camshaft while still maintaining good p/v clearance! (check dyno sheet above) LS3 computers can easily be tuned to drive great with this camshaft with some bucking bellow 1500 rpm. M6 cars or automatic cars with stall converter 2800rpm or larger required. We recommend this camshaft for LS3 or LS2 engines using L92/LS3 rectangle port cylinder heads!

Specs:

3-bolt 235/239 .639"/623" 112 LSA *camshaft is also available in wider LSA

Aggressive intake lobe requires the use of a Precision Race Components EHT Spring Kit!

TSP's all new line of LS3 camshafts are a result of months of engine dyno camshaft development using our state of the art Superflow 902 engine dyno. Using a brand new LS3 crate engine we started from scratch to build the most power LS3 camshafts available in the country.

The 235/239 camshaft uses a all new proprietary intake lobe designed to offer extra duration while maintaining proper p/v clearance for stock piston ls3/ l92 engines. The result of these lobe design changes is a camshaft that makes more power than the popular 231/236 camshaft while still maintaining good p/v clearance! (check dyno sheet above) LS3 computers can easily be tuned to drive great with this camshaft with some bucking bellow 1500 rpm. M6 cars or automatic cars with stall converter 2800rpm or larger required. We recommend this camshaft for LS3 or LS2 engines using L92/LS3 rectangle port cylinder heads!

SO for $750cam kit, and $50 better springs for kit, and $60 gaskets and bolt, and $30 timing gear and bolt....I added $160 for Driven racing oil to break it in and dump after break in ,then after 500 miles later dump it again though it may not be needed twice then I am going with ls30 oil to be safe on the cam and do oil changes like normal only with driven. I am using the ls3 tensioner, stock timing chain and oil pump and the guru says they are just fine for a good while and also the only problem ever with the rocker trunions was on the first 2007 427 engines the ls7's and that I do not need to upgrade the trunions. I have read extensively on Camaro five of people problems..many not breaking in their cams and not using oil that gives the roller on the lifter the ability to roll only slide because it is too slick, also too many mobil one users amongst them. many people believe not to break in a roller cam, I did a post on here about it and have never not broken in a cam in all the flat tappet and other cams I ever did so by god I am doing it now and I never have had a bad cam ever or the installer I took it too.!!!! so how can some camaro 5 people get two bad cams in a row wearing out? I know...they did not break in their cam right!
They also do not figure the spring pressure is real high as these lifts on our cams are way beyond what is the lift on a regular small block or big block chevy old school engine as their base circles are larger and the lifts more in the lower 500 range less than our stock cam for them to be more radical and high lift for them.
This increased pressure from the springs affects the everything and the roller has to roll on the lifter as its pushing on rocker to open the valve...and just sliding a roller wears it out. SO the oil has to be just right, it has to have enough grip to roll the roller, enough zddp to keep things coated to protect them, and not too slick like just a straight synthetic could be that does not word good for a built performance engine. I really do believe in what the driven racing site has posted in its cam bulletin, and have read it in other places, and well many places are making break in oil now ....of course and it is not just for flat tappets, take amsoil, edelbrock, and every major oil has somewhere a break in oil, or some high performance oil with more zddp since they took most of it out of our oil!!! **** evil politicians and epa and automakers conspiring to force older cars to croak as they new cars do not need it in their opinion or the catalytic converters might be harmed by the zinc..........
Oh crap I am rambling...lol anyway heres the rear end cover I just bought to keep the rear together as yes I have heard about someone having their's break.... the aluminum pumpkin flexing..... ouch... so cheap insurance .... get a cover for $239 with bolts included, later down the road install katech chain with new oil pump, ls2 dampener, and dump a grand or so having that installed with a spring check also.
I know I cannot do it all at once. I just had a chunk a change from tax returns and dumped about four grand with the headers, cats their install and the cam parts and cam install with dyno tune. And I will just plunk away with some suspension and maybe next year a eaton true trac, and down the road I know it will be a happy car as I am what I am a old hot rodder who knows not to just abuse the crap out of a car until it breaks and then go what????/// OMG it broke and I was just doing my tenth 4000 rpm launch of the day at drag week with the stock everything and drag radials made it break because it got traction........ lol I do want to avoid wheel hop myself, yet not pretend I may want to burn some rubber now and then or take off fast some times, and even go to the track some day to get a time slip for the fun of it. Well gotta go, old age is setting in.......lol

LPW ULTRA Cobra Mustang & Camaro Independent Rear Suspension Support Cover, IRS Differential Cover, IRS Rear End Girdle

Check out the rear diff cover! May save my butt.

Well to really categorize the ride now, rev it to about 2 grand to safely engage into gear without cam surge, fourth no longer is good down to 20 more like 30, after moving along to about 25 mph its just kind of normal other than being able to really romp on it and it opens up so much better and pulls hard and gets loud like a nhra drag car when you get on it(kind of like the idle) with its lope. And sixth gear seems to have more power just like every gear but its loafing around to be in sixth at 60... and better to be in fifth until 65. this cam would be improved for more drivability with a larger 113 or 114 LSA it is offered in, yet that would mildly take away from the top end h.p. number and I doubt it would much change the nature of this beast, its power curve would broaden some also ...its all in a LSA article about how the change of it makes a difference with this and that. 112 was the regular and it even comes lower to 111 but that just makes it closer to hitting the pistons with the valves some too.

Last edited by christianchevelle; 03-15-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM

same part number as my cam, just different specs. I'll see if I have my spec card somewhere.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes you have the same blank comp cam stock cam number for the custom grind.

Last edited by christianchevelle; 03-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page