How much is too much? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

How much is too much?

Horsepower. Top end speed. Trap speed. 1/4 mile times. Rims. Interior accessories. Money spent. How much do you want? How much are you willing to spend? At what point is a person satisfied? And after being satisfied (if that is possible), what next? Is too much not enough? See, I've been thinking about all the mods I have planned. And I'm thinking that I would be satisfied if I got to around 650 whp. But then there are other upgrades like hoods, spoilers, lighting kits, etc. Not to forget maintenance mods like brakes and such. And even that can be upgraded. So basically, I'm thinking that once a project starts, it never really ends. Does anyone ever look back and calculate the money they've put into their car over several years, maybe even a couple decades, and figure they've thrown way too much money at a car? Just some food for thought and a little curious at what you guys think...

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I got what I wanted the 1st time. I'm done.

...but you already know that.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Chapel, I usually don't chime in brother, but for you, I'm happy to answer your question.

I purchased Jade back in December of 2003. I paid $25,500 for her and then trailered her back to the good ol' Lone Star State. At that point, I thought I was happy. After 11 years of owning her, I sunk a grand total of $61,210.23. I sold her last month for $50,400 cash, and had no expenses when it came to advertising or delivery.

So, essentially, Jade cost me $11,000 over the course of 11 years, which breaks down to a grand a month. If you broke it down by day, Jade cost me $2.74 a day to own. Was she "finished"?! Absolutely not!! The new owner has already installed custom one touch automatic windows, rain sensitive windshield wipers, and a brand new front bumper. Even he wasn't happy, so he started making his own custom mods.

At the end of the day, she was worth every memory, every cut, every stress, every penny that I sunk into her. She was the foundation that build so many stories that will be forever told.

post #4 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 05:10 PM

in my case...like they say: you don't own a project car...it owns you...! I think that's true, once you start...theres no end...!
And about calculating back...on what i spend on the car(s)...therefore i have a wife...!
She reminds me everytime.....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/monzaruba/foto3_zps6fbde664.jpg
A Camaro you steer with the rear wheels...!
post #5 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM

it all depends when you run out of money..

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM

The costs of building a naturally aspirated car are what I wanted to calculate. I do not need 650 rwhp, then I will not want it to be my daily driver, just having a cam cost me some m.p.g. but the reactions to may car having a cam are very nice as people eye my car more than ever and that makes it worth it though I will have to check the springs and maybe replace every 25 thousand miles. The stainless exhaust is lifetime, had I gotten a zl1 I would have done that to it also but not be able to afford the upgrades I have purchased like custom wheels, cam, headers, CAI, install and dyno tune along with other visuals after trading one Camaro for another. I can tell you I have the right amount of rear wheel h.p. . When you get around five hundred that's a friggin lot. I am saving up parts for the suspension rear end build then that's it except for some minor stuff.

When I go around a corner and hammer it with the traction Control on its like a one legged non posi car overpowering the rear to swing like a old hotrod that you need to let the gas off of yet on our cars you do not as stabillitrac and posi with the traction control kick in and keep you from getting real stupid sideways. Once you cam your car my friend you will see its a whole different beast and I can live with that, the h.p. and torque with the gears to compliment it and the suspension to handle getting it to the ground and the future maintenance to make sure I have it healthy for long time. Heck I am on the driven racing oil diet for life. Little things I may do like the ported throttle body some day, or other things but for now its BMR suspension, 391 to 410 gears and eaton posi with a LPW cover I already have next to my trailing arms.

In all I look at having about $50k in a car with about 550 flywheel h.p..... and custom exhaust, custom suspension, customized engine, and custom wheels and interior and exterior to my taste. And that's the point where I have to stop as life goes on and the inevitable march towards someday retirement or death. And around 500 rwhp will kick butt to the point of high 10's or low 11's at the track if done right and that's not too shabby. And people stare when they hear your cam....they comment....**** that's the way that car should sound, .....wow first Camaro I heard that sounded like it should.... Holy F what the hell you got in that thing...... That's just a few, I get rubber neckers everyday. That's a NICE FEELING, BUT I DO IT FOR ME........ it not my first rodeo, but if I was really that nuts about going fast I would build a race car, or get a vette and not a hot rod Camaro daily driver luxury sports car. Camaros have personality, you have to determine if its obsessive compulsive or not.....LOL

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #7 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM

We all know how this works, I don't see much point of really spending a lot of money on a car because everyone knows that as soon as you get your car all built up after a few years then GM or some other company comes out with the latest & greatest thing and then everyone wants that,.,. like those that bought the 2002 4th gen, well a couple years later ford cam out with the new mustang,, and GM the new corvettes..

so what's more important, having the latest & greatest car or having a lot of crazy mods/

I don't know, doesn't everyone want both? I have a mix of half & half, got the new car but with only the essential mods.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 04-11-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Garage
I think do what makes you happy,life is to short and you can't take the money with you lol.

May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
post #9 of 26 Old 04-12-2014, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
I got what I wanted the 1st time. I'm done.

...but you already know that.
Haha, I was gonna include you in my original post...you probably would change anything on your car if they paid you to do so, lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6702 View Post
Chapel, I usually don't chime in brother, but for you, I'm happy to answer your question.

I purchased Jade back in December of 2003. I paid $25,500 for her and then trailered her back to the good ol' Lone Star State. At that point, I thought I was happy. After 11 years of owning her, I sunk a grand total of $61,210.23. I sold her last month for $50,400 cash, and had no expenses when it came to advertising or delivery.

So, essentially, Jade cost me $11,000 over the course of 11 years, which breaks down to a grand a month. If you broke it down by day, Jade cost me $2.74 a day to own. Was she "finished"?! Absolutely not!! The new owner has already installed custom one touch automatic windows, rain sensitive windshield wipers, and a brand new front bumper. Even he wasn't happy, so he started making his own custom mods.

At the end of the day, she was worth every memory, every cut, every stress, every penny that I sunk into her. She was the foundation that build so many stories that will be forever told.
Always great to hear from you Bucko! I was actually thinking about you as I started this thread. I'm sure your car was well worth every penny and more. I still can't believe you really sold her (not trying to make you feel bad or anything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzaruba View Post
in my case...like they say: you don't own a project car...it owns you...! I think that's true, once you start...theres no end...!
And about calculating back...on what i spend on the car(s)...therefore i have a wife...!
She reminds me everytime.....
Congrats again Monza!! And yea I guess you're right. Kinda like owning pets, they really do own you. Especially when there are people who will starve if it meant making sure their pet eats, lol!! This hobby becomes an obession kinda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
it all depends when you run out of money..
Run out of money? I did that and found myself using credit cards, credit lines, borrowing from the parents, lol...just kidding. But yea this hobby will break the bank for sure.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #10 of 26 Old 04-12-2014, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
The costs of building a naturally aspirated car are what I wanted to calculate. I do not need 650 rwhp, then I will not want it to be my daily driver, just having a cam cost me some m.p.g. but the reactions to may car having a cam are very nice as people eye my car more than ever and that makes it worth it though I will have to check the springs and maybe replace every 25 thousand miles. The stainless exhaust is lifetime, had I gotten a zl1 I would have done that to it also but not be able to afford the upgrades I have purchased like custom wheels, cam, headers, CAI, install and dyno tune along with other visuals after trading one Camaro for another. I can tell you I have the right amount of rear wheel h.p. . When you get around five hundred that's a friggin lot. I am saving up parts for the suspension rear end build then that's it except for some minor stuff.

When I go around a corner and hammer it with the traction Control on its like a one legged non posi car overpowering the rear to swing like a old hotrod that you need to let the gas off of yet on our cars you do not as stabillitrac and posi with the traction control kick in and keep you from getting real stupid sideways. Once you cam your car my friend you will see its a whole different beast and I can live with that, the h.p. and torque with the gears to compliment it and the suspension to handle getting it to the ground and the future maintenance to make sure I have it healthy for long time. Heck I am on the driven racing oil diet for life. Little things I may do like the ported throttle body some day, or other things but for now its BMR suspension, 391 to 410 gears and eaton posi with a LPW cover I already have next to my trailing arms.

In all I look at having about $50k in a car with about 550 flywheel h.p..... and custom exhaust, custom suspension, customized engine, and custom wheels and interior and exterior to my taste. And that's the point where I have to stop as life goes on and the inevitable march towards someday retirement or death. And around 500 rwhp will kick butt to the point of high 10's or low 11's at the track if done right and that's not too shabby. And people stare when they hear your cam....they comment....**** that's the way that car should sound, .....wow first Camaro I heard that sounded like it should.... Holy F what the hell you got in that thing...... That's just a few, I get rubber neckers everyday. That's a NICE FEELING, BUT I DO IT FOR ME........ it not my first rodeo, but if I was really that nuts about going fast I would build a race car, or get a vette and not a hot rod Camaro daily driver luxury sports car. Camaros have personality, you have to determine if its obsessive compulsive or not.....LOL
Once you achieve your hp goal, do you think you'll truly stop modding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeSS View Post
I think do what makes you happy,life is to short and you can't take the money with you lol.
Yep, might as well spend it all

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page