Service on your Camaro - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
Service on your Camaro

I was curious if you all take your Camaro's to your dealer for basic services like oil changes, tire rotations and things like that or do you go to the Jiffy Lube, Quick Lane type places? I know there are probably a lot of you that do all of this your self, but I am not "one of those guys" as I know NOTHING about cars so to speak!

2012 V6 IOM./ Borla axel back exhaust/ K&N Cold Air Intake/ 18" TSW Matte Black Mugello wheels, 35 % Tinting, Matte Black Rally Stripes, Matte Black Fade Gill Stripes, Matte Black Fender Hash Stripes, Tail Light and Side Marker Black Outs and Solid Black Bowties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSkullZxx View Post
I was curious if you all take your Camaro's to your dealer for basic services like oil changes, tire rotations and things like that or do you go to the Jiffy Lube, Quick Lane type places? I know there are probably a lot of you that do all of this your self, but I am not "one of those guys" as I know NOTHING about cars so to speak!
Jiffy Lube lost all our business when they didn't tighten the plug for the differential and refused to live up to it until threatened with court

Otherwise most of my older cars go to a chain shop that has gained my confidence over the years

The Camaro goes to the dealer (at least for now)

Right now, my issue is more about time than capability but I do have a lot more confidence in a shop than in my own abilities lol

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #3 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 AM

so many dealers sale service packages now, I bought one that has lifetime $30 service credit every 3 months and 2 free details a year, nitrogen in the tires, and some other benefits for like $450. and they clean every thing, shampoo the rugs, wax, they do the works.

so oil changes cost me like $15 at the dealer.

if not, you can find deals for dealer service, for a while GM was putting out coupons for $29.95 oil changes,, I used to have a lifetime coupon to a Nissan dealer for $17 oil changes,, and they lived up to it, used it like 5 times,, ofcourse once I let them sale me about $300 in other services like an induction cleaning and radiator flush,, but those are good things to do,,

I once had a tires plus right next to my apartment and they were a great shop, they were even open on sundays,, I had lots of stuff done there, from tires, to a power steering pump replaced, to diff & brake fluid changed,, they were super fast, prices were really good and never had any problems,

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 04-12-2014 at 06:34 AM.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
so many dealers sale service packages now, I bought one that has lifetime $30 service credit every 3 months and 2 free details a year, nitrogen in the tires, and some other benefits for like $450. and they clean every thing, shampoo the rugs, wax, they do the works.

so oil changes cost me like $15 at the dealer.

if not, you can find deals for dealer service, for a while GM was putting out coupons for $29.95 oil changes,, I used to have a lifetime coupon to a Nissan dealer for $17 oil changes,, and they lived up to it, used it like 5 times,, ofcourse once I let them sale me about $300 in other services like an induction cleaning and radiator flush,, but those are good things to do,,

I once had a tires plus right next to my apartment and they were a great shop, they were even open on sundays,, I had lots of stuff done there, from tires, to a power steering pump replaced, to diff & brake fluid changed,, they were super fast, prices were really good and never had any problems,
That last statement is a big part of why I use the chain for most of my cars versus the dealer ... I don't have to plan for an oil change, I can just drive up and drop it off ... 95% of the time I get it back the same day, often within the hour ... the other 5%, I am usually in late or something truly unexpected pops up ... dealer hours are just not really convenient ... that said, since the Camaro is not my daily driver I make the concession.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #5 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSkullZxx View Post
When I do go to a shop, there are only 3 places I will go. I go to Sears and only Sears for alignments. I feel that one thing Sears does very well is alignments and I trust them completely. I go to a small shop in my city for any other work because I've been going to them for the past 8 or 9 years. They seriously do the best work and charge the least prices. A few years ago they fully impressed me with an engine install they did on my Stang. And I go to Tire Farm for tires because they have the best prices and I've known for their entire family for over 10 years...I even worked for them over 10 years ago.

As far as doing your own work, you'd be surprised at what you can actually do especially on these newer Camaros. An oil change is the simplest thing you can do and it literally takes 15-20 minutes. I know you say you are not one of those guys but you'd be surprised. If ever you feel like you wanna do your own maintenance, I and others will gladly give you step by step fool-proof directions. And believe it or not, its actually fun doing your own work. I'm looking forward to my next oil change, lol!! Basic hand tools, a little patience, attention to detail, and follow a sequence, and you'll see how easy it is.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #6 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
When I do go to a shop, there are only 3 places I will go. I go to Sears and only Sears for alignments. I feel that one thing Sears does very well is alignments and I trust them completely. I go to a small shop in my city for any other work because I've been going to them for the past 8 or 9 years. They seriously do the best work and charge the least prices. A few years ago they fully impressed me with an engine install they did on my Stang. And I go to Tire Farm for tires because they have the best prices and I've known for their entire family for over 10 years...I even worked for them over 10 years ago.

As far as doing your own work, you'd be surprised at what you can actually do especially on these newer Camaros. An oil change is the simplest thing you can do and it literally takes 15-20 minutes. I know you say you are not one of those guys but you'd be surprised. If ever you feel like you wanna do your own maintenance, I and others will gladly give you step by step fool-proof directions. And believe it or not, its actually fun doing your own work. I'm looking forward to my next oil change, lol!! Basic hand tools, a little patience, attention to detail, and follow a sequence, and you'll see how easy it is.
As I read this, I sit here thinking how I can make a 10 minute job last for hours ... I'm STILL trying to get my 4th LED marker light in ... I've been under the car on at least 3 occasions trying to get the OEM one to release ... I hear it is soooooo easy, but if you have a big arm like mine, you cannot reach up there and give the button the easy push it needs. So far I can get a screw driver on the tab but it won't budge ... I'm sure I'll get it done at some point but that's the way my "10 minute jobs" go

post #7 of 20 Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm so surprise how easy GM made the oil changes on these camaros ! You prolly wouldn't believe how easy it is! I don't know of any other car that is as easy as our camaros.The filter is on The top, now it don't get no easier than that! The maintenance was the only reason why I didn't know about getting a new car. Especially , American made. I'm still wondering what was GM up too.

Chevy's nothing else matters!
post #8 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I do maintenance myself. Jiffy Lube RUINED my wife's V6 Ford Probe by not tightening the oil filter. It fell off and they had her drive back so they could put another one on. This was shortly before I met her. Never again. Crooked idiots.

For big stuff, I'll either go to the dealer or my best friend...It's depends on if I have the time to go to his place or not.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
I do maintenance myself. Jiffy Lube RUINED my wife's V6 Ford Probe by not tightening the oil filter. It fell off and they had her drive back so they could put another one on. This was shortly before I met her. Never again. Crooked idiots.

For big stuff, I'll either go to the dealer or my best friend...It's depends on if I have the time to go to his place or not.
I pretty much had a similar problem but with the dealer we bought the car from.My wife had her oil changed in her charger srt8,pulled in to the driveway as I was working on my car.I noticed something hanging down,it was the plastic under body shield.I jack the car up,three out of four bolts gone and the one that was left was almost all the way out.So I took the shield off to check the oil plug and filter.I could unscrew the plug with my fingers .Nobody touches our cars now,I do it all my self with no problems.

May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
post #10 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifeSS View Post
I pretty much had a similar problem but with the dealer we bought the car from.My wife had her oil changed in her charger srt8,pulled in to the driveway as I was working on my car.I noticed something hanging down,it was the plastic under body shield.I jack the car up,three out of four bolts gone and the one that was left was almost all the way out.So I took the shield off to check the oil plug and filter.I could unscrew the plug with my fingers .Nobody touches our cars now,I do it all my self with no problems.
Another Camaro / Charger family though my wife dared not to go to the SRT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page