2012 M6 Shift Knob Options? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

2012 M6 Shift Knob Options?

I read that the 2012 shift knobs just pull straight off? is that correct? and what are the options for fitting an aftermarket. I like the stock one a lot but am looking for something that stands out from stock.

thanks

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Black Guy Fawkes Shift Knob for Manual Short Throw Gear Shifter Selector UN2 Kit | eBay

so is th eCamaro knob threaded? what thread size?

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 05-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

come on, can some take a minute and fill me in here?

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 05-08-2014 at 07:19 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know. But try this...pop the piece around the shifter off. You can use a flat head screw driver to get in between the silver top piece and the black trim piece but be careful so as not to scratch it. Or you can use you finger nail to separate the pieces. Pull the silver piece forward and out from where it sits. Disconnect the plug and move the piece out of the way. You will see 4 Phillips head screws securing the shifter. Remover those screws and I think the plate should lift right out. After that you can pull the leather covering up. Now I don't know how far it lifts up or if it can be removed this way. But you should be able to figure it out from there. It literally will take 5 minutes to do all this. If I get outside later tonight maybe I'll fiddle around with it to see how the knob comes out.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

yep, I put those darn gauges in now I don't feel like messing with the trim piece again cause it was a pain to get those gauge wires to lay down right. I tried searching, didn't find much help on this..

post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM

The manual knob definitely just pops right off. You have to pull straight up (pretty hard) and twist it a little side to side as you go. Make sure you remove the boot screws first so that when it pops off you don't tear the boot.

MGW has some nice shift knobs that are close to the OEM knob but different.

And when you put the knob back on, put just a little bit of silicon rubber on the shaft first, then let the knob sit overnight. It will remove that "twist slop" that's in the factory knob.

The Super-Devil is at least 6 inches taller, has a flying motorcycle and a jar of marmalade that we believe forces you to commit adultery.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 PM

twm has ther A6

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM

that looks really cool, for the record, the shifter shaft s non-threaded, so you need an adapter like this to fit a standard knob,, this one does work, but will make your shifter a bit taller, if you're brave enough to cut your shaft you can fix that.... but it's a better option to buy the nice kits like above because they clean up the boot nicely,,

the boot doesn't fit on this universal adapter very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SHIFT...1WBEZi&vxp=mtr
post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Garage
yes you basically twist and rip it off,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page