Who has dominated the Pony Car Wars? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Who has dominated the Pony Car Wars?

Since the introduction of the 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang, which company has dominated or controlled the Pony Car wars?

Ford?, Chevrolet? Mopar?

Pick your poison and respond as to why you have that certain opinion and no bad mouthing any of the brands....Just honest opinions.

Let the fur fly!

See my items on www.amazon.com

Seller Name: Muscle Car Memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 07:19 PM

they've all had their contribution, ford bought bad the retro look, first overhead cam v8, chevy first 6 speed and aluminum engines, first Independent rear suspension, didn't Dodge invent posi-track rears or soemthing?

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
post #3 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
they've all had their contribution, ford bought bad the retro look, first overhead cam v8, chevy first 6 speed and aluminum engines, first Independent rear suspension, didn't Dodge invent posi-track rears or soemthing?

Not sure about Dodge, except for that Hemi....

post #4 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

No one manufacturer has "dominated" the pony car wars. If you look at all aspects of all pony cars (weight, engine, hp, tq, options, price, value, depreciation, ability to modify, longevity, reliability, cost of ownership, aesthetics, styling, comfort, handling, emissions, mpg, fun factor, etc) you'll see that from different years, different models, and different options, some may have been slightly better than others. Between the three, what two of them lack, one makes up for.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
Not sure about Dodge, except for that Hemi....
is there something special about a hemi engine? or is it just a name, what does it refer too? it's just a 16 valve, pushrod v8 right?

oh yeah,, that's what the internet is for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 05-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #6 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
is there something special about a hemi engine? or is it just a name, what does it refer too? it's just a 16 valve, pushrod v8 right?

oh yeah,, that's what the internet is for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine
There is supposed to be I am just not sure what it is exactly....something to do with the heads...

post #7 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
No one manufacturer has "dominated" the pony car wars. If you look at all aspects of all pony cars (weight, engine, hp, tq, options, price, value, depreciation, ability to modify, longevity, reliability, cost of ownership, aesthetics, styling, comfort, handling, emissions, mpg, fun factor, etc) you'll see that from different years, different models, and different options, some may have been slightly better than others. Between the three, what two of them lack, one makes up for.
I agree not 1 manufacturer has "dominated" all 3 brands have had up and down years...

post #8 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 PM

well, in my opinion I think GM has dominated, I think they've most often been ahead of the crowd, IROC Camaro, T-tops, first to redesign in 1981 & 1993, the 2010 release was huge, not to mention they have had 3 pony cars, Camaro, corvette & firebird while the others only had 1. I've always been a fan,,

post #9 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
well, in my opinion I think GM has dominated, I think they've most often been ahead of the crowd, IROC Camaro, T-tops, first to redesign in 1981 & 1993, the 2010 release was huge, not to mention they have had 3 pony cars, Camaro, corvette & firebird while the others only had 1. I've always been a fan,,
I probably should have renamed this thread to the "best" pony car over the years but the Corvette never has been a Pony Car, its a sports car or so they say and the firebird was always pretty much a red headed step child until the late 70's and early 80's then it pretty much died off again.

I think the Mustang and Camaro have dominated if any have and one cant survive without the other IMO....

post #10 of 65 Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The 2nd car I ever owned (1st was a 1968 Beetle), 2nd was a 1969 Roadrunner that I bought for $100 from the original owner. I worked at the Yamaha shop in Lexington when I was a teenager and one of the mechanics had bought the 69 Roadrunner new and he took care of the 383 magnum engine but not the body or interior and thats how I got it for $100 in 1978.

That thing was super fast and I outran vettes, bandit trans/am's, Z28's of the day and the only thing to ever beat me was a Shelby GT500 out on I75 where we ran them for 1 mile at a 50mph start....I buried the needle into the dash running that guy and the dash registered if I remember correctly 130mph...It was the best $100 car I ever had and the fastest!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page