I need everyone to enlighten me... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I need everyone to enlighten me...

I am confused on some of Chevrolet's engines.

I know all about 283, 305, 327, 350, 396, 400, 403 and 454's etc etc...But what I dont understand is the LS1, LT1, LS3 (mine), LS7's, I think the LS7 is a 427 thats in the new Vette.

Arent all the LS and LT engines based on the 350 small block engine? and if so whats the differences?

Dont laugh im just trying to figure it all out.

See my items on www.amazon.com

Seller Name: Muscle Car Memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

post #3 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My GOD that's alot of reading, I was hoping for a short version

post #4 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

LS1 - the first of the Almighty LS family engines. Came in the 98-02 V8 powered Camaros and Trans Ams, the Firebird Firehawk, and the Corvette from 98- unsure but I think 02 or o4. Engine is 5.7L/350 cu in.

LS2 - A revised LS1. Displacement was 6.0L/364 cu in. Made it's way into the GTO and some Corvettes. They are not as popular as the LS1 and LS3 because many say that they tend to run a little hot and they vary greatly in power output from one to the other.

LS3 - 6.2L/376 cu in. Found in the 5th Gen Camaro, Corvettes from 05-13, And the G* GXP. Shares similarities with the L99 engine. Some sources list the LS3 as the High Output and the L99 the standard. L99 has DoD aka AFM. I think the cam profile is also slightly different.

LS4 - 5.3 found in FWD cars...Grand Prix GXP, and Impala SS. has some differences but not sure what besides displacement.

LS6 - Same displacement as the LS1. However the LS6 is a stronger block. I think certain parts on the LS6 (heads, cam) are not interchangeable on the other LS engines. This was found in the Z06 Vettes in like 2002 (not sure on the years).

LS7 - Largest displacement of the LS family engines. 7.0/427 cu in. Also, probably the most powerful NA engine GM has ever made (not 100% sure). Found in the newer Z06 Vettes...up to 2013. The block has some light weight super strong components and the heads, cam, and intake manifold are specific to the LS7...cannot put LS7 heads on a LS3. Other differences in the block bore. Also it is a dry sump oiling system. Meaning oil is not kept in the oil pan.

LS9 - Most powerful production engine in GM history. It is a 6.2L/376 cu in supercharged dry sump engine and is found in the ZR-1 up to 2013. It has forged pistons and a 2.3 L Roots style positive displacement blower. Not sure on other differences between this and the LS3/L99. I also think that each engine is hand built...not 100% sure.

LSA - Found in the Cadillac CTS-V. A lower output LS9. It has hypereutectic pistons, a 1.9 L Roots style positive displacement blower and some other differences.

Noteworthy -

The Trailblazer SS has a 400 hp engine. I think it is the L99 or a detuned LS3.

The ZL-1 has a LSA engine. But I think there are some small difference between this LSA and the CTS-V LSA. Not enough to make them different engines tho.

Among the LS engines, there is a lot of compatibility with the heads, intake manifolds, etc. They are all sort of based along the same build. But they aren't all basically revised LS1 engines even tho the LS1 engine came out first. What I'm saying is that LS1 doesn't mean that the rest are refreshed or newer LS1 engines. But still, the LS2 was def a revised LS1.

The LT1 engine from the 90s was an aluminum head engine displacing 5.7L/350 cu in. The new LT1 engine is a different engine altogether. I haven't had a chance to read up on all the differences between the new LT1, the LS family, and the old LT1. But I know the differences are substantial. Hope this helps.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
LS1 - the first of the Almighty LS family engines. Came in the 98-02 V8 powered Camaros and Trans Ams, the Firebird Firehawk, and the Corvette from 98- unsure but I think 02 or o4. Engine is 5.7L/350 cu in.

LS2 - A revised LS1. Displacement was 6.0L/364 cu in. Made it's way into the GTO and some Corvettes. They are not as popular as the LS1 and LS3 because many say that they tend to run a little hot and they vary greatly in power output from one to the other.

LS3 - 6.2L/376 cu in. Found in the 5th Gen Camaro, Corvettes from 05-13, And the G* GXP. Shares similarities with the L99 engine. Some sources list the LS3 as the High Output and the L99 the standard. L99 has DoD aka AFM. I think the cam profile is also slightly different.

LS4 - 5.3 found in FWD cars...Grand Prix GXP, and Impala SS. has some differences but not sure what besides displacement.

LS6 - Same displacement as the LS1. However the LS6 is a stronger block. I think certain parts on the LS6 (heads, cam) are not interchangeable on the other LS engines. This was found in the Z06 Vettes in like 2002 (not sure on the years).

LS7 - Largest displacement of the LS family engines. 7.0/427 cu in. Also, probably the most powerful NA engine GM has ever made (not 100% sure). Found in the newer Z06 Vettes...up to 2013. The block has some light weight super strong components and the heads, cam, and intake manifold are specific to the LS7...cannot put LS7 heads on a LS3. Other differences in the block bore. Also it is a dry sump oiling system. Meaning oil is not kept in the oil pan.

LS9 - Most powerful production engine in GM history. It is a 6.2L/376 cu in supercharged dry sump engine and is found in the ZR-1 up to 2013. It has forged pistons and a 2.3 L Roots style positive displacement blower. Not sure on other differences between this and the LS3/L99. I also think that each engine is hand built...not 100% sure.

LSA - Found in the Cadillac CTS-V. A lower output LS9. It has hypereutectic pistons, a 1.9 L Roots style positive displacement blower and some other differences.

Noteworthy -

The Trailblazer SS has a 400 hp engine. I think it is the L99 or a detuned LS3.

The ZL-1 has a LSA engine. But I think there are some small difference between this LSA and the CTS-V LSA. Not enough to make them different engines tho.

Among the LS engines, there is a lot of compatibility with the heads, intake manifolds, etc. They are all sort of based along the same build. But they aren't all basically revised LS1 engines even tho the LS1 engine came out first. What I'm saying is that LS1 doesn't mean that the rest are refreshed or newer LS1 engines. But still, the LS2 was def a revised LS1.

The LT1 engine from the 90s was an aluminum head engine displacing 5.7L/350 cu in. The new LT1 engine is a different engine altogether. I haven't had a chance to read up on all the differences between the new LT1, the LS family, and the old LT1. But I know the differences are substantial. Hope this helps.
Some corrections here:

LS2 was in Corvettes from 05-07
LS3 was in Corvettes from 08-13

Trailblazer SS had LS2

LS6 was in Z06 Corvettes from 01-04 and earlier CTS-V models, up till 06 I think.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #6 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM

I though the LS1 first appeared in the corvette in 1997 with the new body? I think it was the first all aluminum engine from GM.

make syou think,, the 1997 corvette would certainly be a collectable, being the first of it's kind...

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 05-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

short answer is it's not an old 350

Big Daddy
Macon, GA
post #8 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
Some corrections here:

LS2 was in Corvettes from 05-07
LS3 was in Corvettes from 08-13

Trailblazer SS had LS2

LS6 was in Z06 Corvettes from 01-04 and earlier CTS-V models, up till 06 I think.
Thanks for the corrections. I can never remember the years that the Vette switched from the LS2 to the LS3. And I could have sworn the Trailblazer SS had a de-tuned LS3 but you're correct. And I totally forgot all about the NA CTS-V. Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I though the LS1 first appeared in the corvette in 1997 with the new body? I think it was the first all aluminum engine from GM.

make syou think,, the 1997 corvette would certainly be a collectable, being the first of it's kind...
Totally forgot about the 97 Vette also. Thanks for the correction!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #9 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Chapel;671474]Thanks for the corrections. I can never remember the years that the Vette switched from the LS2 to the LS3. And I could have sworn the Trailblazer SS had a de-tuned LS3 but you're correct. And I totally forgot all about the NA CTS-V. Thanks again!!

This information helps sort out some of my confusion

Why cant GM just make it easy cause all of them were derived from the 350 small block...

post #10 of 15 Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
This information helps sort out some of my confusion

Why cant GM just make it easy cause all of them were derived from the 350 small block...
Well different engines for different purposes. Kinda like the differences between the 2V SOHC 4.6 (NPI and PI), the 3V SOHC 4.6, the DOHC 4.6 (98-98 vs 99 and 01 vs 03-04 NA vs 03-04 FI), the SOHC 5.4, the DOHC 5.4, the 6.2 DOHC, etc. Each engine got updated and replaced. Some engines were for FWD, others were for RWD. Some were for trucks, others for cars. Some had different heads and different cams than others. Etc. Ford has the Modular family, Chevy has the LS family. And each engine has certain aspects that makes it different.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page