"Look but please don't touch" - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

"Look but please don't touch"

Hope I at least got your attention; now a new topic for discussion.

Many of us have cars we are all proud of and many go to local shows as well. But for some reason, I have a pet-peeve of seeing the "Look, but do not touch" signs displayed in cars at the shows. Any reasonable person is NOT going to be leaning, touching, or humping the tailpipe of a displayed car, and If they're not reasonable or have an I.Q hovering around 20, is it going to matter anyway?

As far as children go; most of them can not read, will not read or are too darn short to read the signage anyway.. Many a child has received a "perma-grin" when I ask if they want to sit in the drivers seat and see how it feels...any maybe, just maybe; start a lifelong Camaro fan in the process.

I don't want my car damaged either, but finger-prints will wipe and wash off the next day. At least this factor helps me out when trying to make a decision or tie breaker on "participant judging". Hell, I even see these on vehicles that I could get rust poisoning from (No offense rat rodders).

I wonder what kind of reaction I would receive if I put a sign on mine stating "Please feel free to touch, feel or ask if you want to sit inside of my pride and Joy" Suppose it could be the first Tar and feathering at a Car show.

So what are everyone else's thoughts....................

Proud owner of Litho #198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

I think it is mainly because any blemish or spot or smudge or anything can deduct points with the judges. Imagine if the judge comes around to inspect your car and they see a whole bunch of finger prints all over it. That would detract from the show quality. And a lot of these guys spend a lot of time and give meticulous detail to how they wash and wax the car. So they want it to be perfect. You don't want kids with chocolate or ice cream all over their hands walking by and leaving a nice little hand print, lol.

But outside of that, I personally don't mind people touching my car if I'm there. If I'm not there, then I won't know it was touched anyway. The neighborhood kids in my apartment complex all love my car. They all come over everytime I'm out there to talk to me. Sometimes while I'm working they'll grab tools or climb inside the car. I don't mind because they're just kids. But I did have to tell them last week not to play with a pocket knife I had laying around. The one kid picked it up and opened it. I didn't even know until I turned around and saw him standing there with it in his hand and all the other little kids were right next to him. Lol. I kinda got scared and told him not to touch it or any of the screw drivers. But yea a lot of times at certain events they'll let you touch, sit in, and sometimes even start a car.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Most of the cars I see with the "do not touch" signs around my area are the OLD ones, from about the 50 to early 70's. As for me my son has had quite a few conversations about watching him self around the cars at shows. I was even vindicated by one viper driver who saw him with a water bottle on an lanyard and asked him to be careful. I would think most parents would have the same conservation. As for the older "can read" crowd most would not touch unless they just don't care much and then they will touch anyway.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 AM
Support MC & Troops

I can understand both sides of the coin, for me, if a child wants to touch me Shadow, they can & don't mind.. I'm not worried a bought them..
I'm more worried what the older, youth/adults, that knows better and grabs things that don't belong to them or worse, doing damage
that their family didn't teach them to not do, when they do what they do.. +

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

yeah, its a mixed bag ... a lot of things that aren't intended to happen, happen, if you know what I mean. Like you say, I'm not really going to touch anyone's car, but kids are a lot more likely ... I don't know that a sign is going to help, but it really doesn't bother me a lot. I really think it would mean more to me how a person with one of these signs reacts, if she/he sees someone actually touching the car.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
This is THE reason I no longer enter any of my vehicles in shows...

Invariably I end up with a scratch from a ring or belt buckle etc!

Kudos to you for the "open door" policy...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #7 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

I am one of those people that put those "Look but Do Not Touch" signs on my windows. Why you ask?! Simple really- I have over $15,000 invested in the paint job of the 67 RS/SS Camaro that I sold. The one thing that would irk me is someone rubbing their greasy fingers over my bumble bee stripe to see if they could feel it. No matter how careful you are, anytime you touch the paint, you're putting a fine swirl-mark or scratch in it. And last time I checked, I paid for my car, not the people at the show....

I LOVE talking to people, answering questions, I'll even show them custom details that I put into my builds; however, there is absolutely no reason to touch it. Bottom Line- It's a lack of respect when people will just automatically touch your car. And that is one of the many things wrong with today's generation.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6702 View Post
Bottom Line- It's a lack of respect when people will just automatically touch your car. And that is one of the many things wrong with today's generation.
I think this is one of those things that is not necessarily generational ... I think it is more 'car people' and 'non-car people' ... I've seen idiots of all ages do stupid things ... maybe more of an age thing too versus generation ... I did some very stupid things at a young age (none of which I am going to admit to here)

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #9 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Garage
I think Bucky hit a major point on this. Alot of folks have spent alot of money and time getting their cars just so.... Not to mention the time they spend detailing their cars just for the event. To me, it's always been the unspoken rule at car shows or just a cruise night of look, but don't touch. From one perspective, a car show or cruise night is like a rolling museum. Many of the cars are classified as antiques.

November 2013 MOTM
post #10 of 12 Old 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky6702 View Post
I am one of those people that put those "Look but Do Not Touch" signs on my windows. Why you ask?! Simple really- I have over $15,000 invested in the paint job of the 67 RS/SS Camaro that I sold. The one thing that would irk me is someone rubbing their greasy fingers over my bumble bee stripe to see if they could feel it. No matter how careful you are, anytime you touch the paint, you're putting a fine swirl-mark or scratch in it. And last time I checked, I paid for my car, not the people at the show....

I LOVE talking to people, answering questions, I'll even show them custom details that I put into my builds; however, there is absolutely no reason to touch it. Bottom Line- It's a lack of respect when people will just automatically touch your car. And that is one of the many things wrong with today's generation.
Totally agree with you there. Especially after seeing some of the threads over on Camaro5 in the General Discussion forums. People there are constantly saying their car has been spit on, had soda and other drinks poured on, came out to find trash left on, muddy finger prints, etc. Not saying that anyone at a show would do that, but you never know and I wouldn't bet against it. And especially considering everything you personally put into Jade. Not just the initial costs of the paint job and modifications, but also the costs of upkeep. That car of yours was truly unique. A careless scratch would kinda ruin everything you put in to her. Half the people out there are very disrespectful. And the other half are oblivious. You invest a lot of money, heart, and soul into making your car stand out. The last thing I would want is to come out and see a scratch or dent.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page