Wanting to purchase new air filter... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Wanting to purchase new air filter...

I wanting to purchase a new air filter for my SS but ive grown to dislike K&N for all the bad press they have gotten about those oiled air filter's but from testing ive read they do give you an extra 10hp (some will disagree).

Im wanting to purchase a similar air filter but a dry filter, is there any companies that make a dry air filter that you can pickup a few extra HP's?

Ive heard about the "green" air filter for Camaro's but not sure who makes it and also AEM which is dry...

Any suggestions?

See my items on www.amazon.com

Seller Name: Muscle Car Memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

SLP makes a filter that goes into the stock airbox with their Blackwing stage 1 cai.

As far as the bad rep with K&N...I bought a K&N air filter as my very first mod for my SS. I had no problems at all with it and it did make a difference...not just a placebo. And everyone else I heard from who ran the K&N, none of them had any problems either. Sometimes, bad rep is just rumors and made up lies. People will bash anything. But in reality, K&N was the very first to come to the market. I fully trust them and I would not hesitate to purchase one. But you have to go with whatever makes you comfortable.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM

Garage
The K&N drop-in filters are fine, I just don't like their FIPK "cai" kits. The IATs on those were bad.

The oiling part is mostly when people clean them and reoil them, they go way too heavy and don't give it time to soak before putting it back in and driving.

AEM is a good dry-filter. I run it on my blower in my Monte Carlo.

2013 IOM Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Weekend Warrior
2000 Monte Carlo SS - CSC Powered Project Car

post #4 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
SLP makes a filter that goes into the stock airbox with their Blackwing stage 1 cai.

As far as the bad rep with K&N...I bought a K&N air filter as my very first mod for my SS. I had no problems at all with it and it did make a difference...not just a placebo. And everyone else I heard from who ran the K&N, none of them had any problems either. Sometimes, bad rep is just rumors and made up lies. People will bash anything. But in reality, K&N was the very first to come to the market. I fully trust them and I would not hesitate to purchase one. But you have to go with whatever makes you comfortable.
Yep ive never had any problems with K&N and been using them for about 10 years or more so I will probably just go back with the same as ive used. The issues ive read have been with the re-oiling when someone puts too much oil on the filter...

post #5 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage-Iron View Post
The issues ive read have been with the re-oiling when someone puts too much oil on the filter...
This.... or the "new to K&N user" thinks they should add more oil on the new "pre-oiled" filter before installing it cuz more is better right?

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM

I dropped in a K&N air filter to replace my stock air filter on my 2LT and noticed an improvement. I have been using K&N in all of my vehicles since 1998 with no issues or complaints. Like Chapel said - the bad rep you hear is from people who have nothing better to do but spread lies and rumors on the internet.

2011 SummitWhite 2LT/RS (SOLD)
2010 Black 2LT/RS (ZLRS) (Current)
ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_2LT_SummitWhite11 View Post
I dropped in a K&N air filter to replace my stock air filter on my 2LT and noticed an improvement. I have been using K&N in all of my vehicles since 1998 with no issues or complaints. Like Chapel said - the bad rep you hear is from people who have nothing better to do but spread lies and rumors on the internet.
I agree im gonna go back with K&N cause ive always used them with no problems but when you read all that crap on different forums it makes you wonder but im just gonna stick with whats worked for me in the past...

post #8 of 41 Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM

If you're going to spend $60-$70 on an air filter, why not just get a CAI? Those actually add about 18 horses, way more than just a filter, and they add sound too.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Black wing sells a kit that just replaces the filter and the intake tube. That's what I have for the V6. I like the fact that I get to keep the stock box. I like it.

2013 LT2/RS, Crystal Red Metallic, TAZ Jr.
2016 H-D Ultra Classic, Black Fire Purple, (PPE)
2015 H-D Street Glide, Superior Blue. (Old Blue) Traded
2012 Big Horn, RAM, Crew Cab, SLT, Dark Cherry Red Pearl (Betty Boop)
1998 Honda Accord 2d, daily driver.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Amsoil might have a dry one.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page