Do an LS7 swap for under 30 grand - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Do an LS7 swap for under 30 grand

By Nick Dasko

So the new 2014 Z28 Camaro is already all sold out. So if you wanted one built to your specs, you are SOL.

If you are really desperate you can likely get one from a dealer at an inflated price, in a spec you didn't exactly want, and by the time you get out the door you will be likely paying at least $80,000 minus whatever you trade your current Camaro for.

GM has also said they will not sell most of the parts used to make the Z28 in their performance catalogue so it is kind of hard to convert your current ride, unless you go to the parts counter and ask for the upgraded coolers, body kit, brakes, and suspension bits for the Z28 and pay crazy prices.

Thankfully there is a cheap way to get into this game for a lot less money. The beauty of the LS7 from this car is that it swaps inbeautifully into the current Camaro, you can get one out of a wrecked Z06 Corvette for about $12,000 according to my research on a salvage parts site.

You could likely get a whole wrecked Z06 for about $15,000 and then sell whatever you don't use so that you end up spending less than $10,000 on parts once you factor in the money you get from selling body panels, seats, etc.

Next if you don't want to cut up your daily driver, you can get a decent used, Camaro for $15,000 and pull the engine and start wrenching.Throw on a nice exhaust system, maybe play with the cams a bit and throw on some coil-overs and you will have something that can at the very least fill the rear-view mirror of a Z28 for a lot less.

Plus the costs mean that you wont feel bad about thrashing it because all in this car should owe you what a well-specced V6 Camaro goes for new.

Now for those of you without the time, patience, or space to do such a swap, well, find a good mechanic who likes to do projects like this. The labour won't be more than what a high-powered blower kit costs for a Camaro before the labour for that job is even factored in.

So please, go out and build one of these and post pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

These days you're better off just building your own engine. Or throwing a supercharger on your current engine. These special engines are soo expensive that it isn't worth paying. You'll never get anywhere near the money you pay for a LS7 back. And having a LS7 in your SS won't bring the price up considering you're gonna lose your warranty and nobody is gonna buy a car like this with a LS7 and no warranty.

And some of the prices listed in this article (is it an article?) are a bit exaggerated. An engine install on a Camaro shouldn't be more than $1200-$1500 at the most. Just because its a newer model car does not mean that you're gonna pay $6000-$8000 for an engine swap. Any shop charging those prices are out of their minds. And I doubt you'll find a wrecked Z06 Vette for $15K. Not sure but I doubt it.

The aftermarket is soo vast and has soo many really great parts that there is no need to make high priced conversions anymore. You'd be surprised what $10,000 in aftermarket parts gets you in performance, braking, and handling.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 AM

i wouldnt be putting a ls7 in a v6 camaro ($15k). Much easier in a SS.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr

post #4 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Support MC & Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i wouldnt be putting a ls7 in a v6 camaro ($15k). Much easier in a SS.
All the goodies already their in a SS +

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Reworking an LS3 by forging it and adding a cam and blower would be the way to go. Cheaper, and you can control exactly what you put into it.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 AM

Agree with the above posts....far more effective ways to make power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page