tested a 2014 vette against my modded SS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Location: CLEVELAND,GA. just 6 miles south of blood mth, RT129

tested a 2014 vette against my modded SS

Well I had vettes for 19 years and will always love them. My last new vette was a 1997 C5 brand new serial#326, which at the time wasn't easy to get. Well any way a good friend of mine came up to visit me and had a new 2014 Coupe auto and we headed to the dragon with my modded SS LS3 convertable bee. I did 473 miles that day on mostly twisty mountian roads in TENN,GA,NC,SC. We swapped cars after the dragon. My girlfriend had he first ride in a vette ,lol. Well before I get alot of replys saying im crazy, just let me say that after we had switched back cars he said to me what I thought . Well I had to be honest and said that I have no interest in getting a Vette after what I did to my LS3 in syspension mods alone. Now yes the vette felt slighty lighter throwing it around in the twisties, but not 600lbs lighter! I also noticed my steering felt slightly quicker and did not sway as much either. I am now running 10 -10.5 rims and 275,315 all season nitto motivos and his vette had stock smaller rims and michelin pilot sports on them. This was the first time I hit the dragon with my new tire set up. If I was running P Zero's in those sizes all around I would have stuck even better.Hitting bumps my SS and the vette had about the same cowl shake and I wonder how a convertable vette would have felt? I left the vette in sport mode the whole trip. Yes the vette felt and was a little quicker but not any thing that impressed me wanting one.My buddy did get on it along side me while he was driveing my SS , but it was to late to run him in the vette as he was already pulling away.He also admitted the two cars felt very similar to him also. Now if I was compareing stock for stock, FORGETABOUTIT! the vette wins. The seats in the vette were way better for support and of course the dash had alot of gagets like a G meter , which I didn't notice for about 2 hours,LOL. When we pulled over ,either he got the attention or I got the attention. Pretty even. All in all, im very glad I had the opertunity to do a real world honest street road test of every day liveing in and driveing both cars back to back. I honestly couldnt justify buying a new vette as my old Z51 ,6sp 1997 C5 felt very similar to this new one to ME. Oh the duel exhaust on the vette was louder than my gibson X pipe and mufflers when you get on it. A ZL1 happen to pull over at the dragon while we were at rest and when he pulled out it sounded just as good as the vette did, wicked. I just thought I pass that along. Ill still always love Corvettes, but just don't have the need to want one any more.

2012 Yellow Convertable SS,RS,2SS,6SPM,gibson C/B exh with X pipe,technostalgia tail lamps, Hotchkis bars and springs, ARH frame brace,ported TB, BBK shorty headers, K&N cai, front grill air scoup,Pfadt chamber&caster strunt adjusters,VR power Wedge,ZL1 front spoiler lip, 10-10.5 inch rims, 275,315 nitto motivos so far.
2009 Midnight Roadstar Warrior ,lots of mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Garage
Nice write up,it's nice to be able to have chance to drive them both on the same road to compare.

May 2014 MC Member of the Month!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 PM

Garage
I agree. Great write up.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Support MC & Troops

Sweet, I like your review, nice wright up, glad to hear your having a blast in your vert

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #5 of 12 Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Nice write up.
You'd never know what you've
Told us unless you did it yourself.
Must A been a fun day you'll never
Forget. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Vettes are and always were King with me--Had 5 and none newer than a '66 Coupe 327/350 M4. I'd trade for one of my old '60 or '61 283/230 M3 in a Heartbeat.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM

6 mile from Blood Mnt....

<------ Jealous. I love that double lane repeating switch back going up the mountain from the south side...I like it better than 129.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

For me, a Vette is soo much more than performance. Even if I got my SS to out-perform a new Vette, I would still want one. I think the money I would need to invest into my car including the cost of the car to make it perform like a Vette would probably cost more than a Vette. Anyway, I would love the opportunity to run against one.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 AM

I just test drove a 10 c6 auto ls3. Ill stick with my modded Camaro. Now if I hadnt just dropped too much money into it id be looking at a 12 c6 m6. I love the look of the C6. Thats wHat I wanted but couldnt swing it trading in a 1 year old 6.2l Silverado.

2012 2SS/RSM6 Silver with Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes,3.91gears, NewEra ported TB,OTR, HeritageGrill, NightFury cam, Melling296 Oilpump, KatechCR-5 chain, Cloyes LS2HD tensioner, PAC 1205x springs and Comp Cams trunion upgrade. American Racing1 7/8"LT headers w/cats, and TWM fullShifter BMRsways,trailing arms,toe rods, delrin cradle bushings,BK039rear control arm bushingkit,front suspension bushing kit. Solo Mach XL exhaust 25% Fluidampr
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I just test drove a 10 c6 auto ls3. Ill stick with my modded Camaro. Now if I hadnt just dropped too much money into it id be looking at a 12 c6 m6. I love the look of the C6. Thats wHat I wanted but couldnt swing it trading in a 1 year old 6.2l Silverado.

I ran into a dude at the gas station the other day who had a 2014 Vette. He was looking at my SS and me at his Vette. I loved his Vette but it was yellow but other than that it was beautiful.

He told me that he was at a track day over in Homestead, Florida a couple of weeks ago in his Vette and he was out there running against new Z/28's and ZL1's, and Juan Pablo Montoya was driving one of them and he said there was no way he could keep up with those Camaro's. He said they ran off and left him but like I told him he was out there running against professional race car drivers but he said regardless those Z/28's and ZL1's were fast as hell!

See my items on www.amazon.com

Seller Name: Muscle Car Memories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page