Anyone running a sprint booster...thinking of buyin one - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Anyone running a sprint booster...thinking of buyin one

Hey having watched out for good mods this one seems real good, a sprint booster to make my drive by wire more like a cable throttle. Anyone have one?, a guy at work with a new chevy pickup says he loved his and made a lot of difference in throttle response.

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-600-chevrolet.aspx

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

You don't need it for your car because you have a custom tune in it. The tune already (or should have already) improved the throttle responsiveness. Most tuners especially dyno tuners will make the same changes the Sprint Booster makes in the tune they write. This is basically for guys with stock cars who don't wanna (or can't) tune. It does work. But like I said, your car doesn't need it. It won't do anything for you.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #3 of 20 Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

cool thanks I wondered about that, hopefully its written in my tune. I know its hard to imagine my car being more responsive...lol but hey if it was stock it could make a lot of difference. You know what I wish I had a tuner sometimes just to change my idle...lol at 900 rpms it still sounds wicked at its new idle but hey it could sound even more awesome and wonder if it needs the whole 900 rpms... why I could see myself rocking side to side even more.... lol

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

post #4 of 20 Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
cool thanks I wondered about that, hopefully its written in my tune. I know its hard to imagine my car being more responsive...lol but hey if it was stock it could make a lot of difference. You know what I wish I had a tuner sometimes just to change my idle...lol at 900 rpms it still sounds wicked at its new idle but hey it could sound even more awesome and wonder if it needs the whole 900 rpms... why I could see myself rocking side to side even more.... lol
Even if you were stock, the price of the Sprint Booster outweighs its usefulness. Last I checked it was like over $300. A used tuner for half that price will do the same thing AND add hp/tq. You probably need the 900 rpms. Judging by your mods and your hp I'd say you have a pretty aggressive cam. Post a video of it idling tho. 900 rpms is a little high but it just might be necessary. If your tuner didn't lock you out then you should be able to fine tune the idle as you see fit...if you have a hand held tuner to upload that is. You'll have to check with him to see if he locked you out or not. Most of them will let you play with the spark, fuel, and idle a little. But with a custom cam he might not want you fudging with it at all. Again, post a video.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 20 Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Also, if you do have an aggressive cam, your issue might not be with throttle response. You might have lost some hp and tq on the low end. Most aggressive cams lose power on the low and make up for it up top. They basically move your power band up in the rpm range. What rpms are your hp and tq at? And what specs are the cam? I can try to do some researching and find out for you.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 20 Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

wow lol I have gobs of torque and h.p. all over its the best tsp cam, I was just wondering about the throttle thing because it has cheaper knock offs of it kind of if you want to wait for shipping form china...lol or get one form Europe. My cam has like 350 ft lbs way low like 1500 rpm. ANd after reading up its o.k. yes its a aggressive cam and that's why its idling so high other wise I could be more in the 750 to 800 range and the lope would be more noticeable instead of it loping so fast like a dragster instead of the old school rods I am used too with like a 650-auto to 750 manual idle.

Heres the dyno sheet again I love it. Waiting for vararam to come out with that new intake they are developing (now)some day to finish off the top....

power is best in the 4 to 5 range, and think someday when I put better parts on the engine may up the rev limiter a little.

Last edited by christianchevelle; 06-06-2014 at 04:51 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Where are you seeing 350 ft lbs of torque at 1500 RPMs? Your graph doesn't start until about 2500 RPMs...and you don't hit 350 ft lbs until 3000 RPMs. Your cam moved your power band up. I haven't kept up with this stuff in a while, but basically, you're making more power higher in the RPM range and losing a little down low. So compared to a stock cam, at 2500 RPMs you're gonna have less torque and HP. But it starts picking up once it gets into its RPM range. So a stock cam may have a power range of let's say (for gits and shiggles) 1800 - 6200 while yours may have a power range of let's say 3000 - 7000. Again these numbers are just made up to make a point. So you might have been thinking that you need a Sprint Booster for more throttle response. But you don't need it. Thats just how your cam is. You're not feeling a lack of throttle response, you're feeling a little less low end hp/tq. There are ways to make up for it. Your tuner might be able to add some timing or you can do a gear swap. That'll get you moving a little quicker down low. A ported TB or an UDP should also help.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #8 of 20 Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Im going for 3.91 gear next tax refund. I am going eaton true trac posi too. and I already have the lpw cover, I just wonder if I need those end caps sold by Jannetty since they have to have machining still done to them to help , I already have bmr toes and trailing arms and some upper control arm delrin bushings for the install too, and am thinking of cradle bushings when doing it too. And well the 350 yah I exaggerate but close enough its probably going to be when I add the gears for a 13% gain around that at 200 or what ever. Just a bummer Monday today, got a ban on Camaro 5....lol said I was disrespectful.... know it must be because I posted: about a guy who just did the muffler delete and he got offered to let the business use his car to advertise in a commercial, so I said : great you let them make your car illegal and you advertise for them........LOL
Butt monkeys were everywhere howling...oh my god you said that, well I had to answer that it is illegal like almost everywhere and so I got crucified, like whatever........ Bunch of jerks on there anyway. SO no Camaro 5 for a month, it was getting old anyway, I am old enough to want to stop helping people who are ungrateful, I hope he gets pulled over and a fix it ticket when he gets headers some day and remembers I said so.
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. The Mod's are wankers apparently and team up with the kids. Its like oh well, its gotten old the same exact posts almost always and mostly the young is what will happen to it someday anyway it will fade as the next gen comes out, and hopefully this place will stay the same...... friendly! And I am not really feeling lack of low end throttle response/torque lol Just always looking at new stuff and wanting to improve a hot rodding addict you know what I mean, I am waiting for vararams new intake to come out with numbers and that may be a nice install someday!!!! think about another 50 h.p. added on whoo weee.... lol

post #9 of 20 Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Sour grapes make good whine.

The Cheap-*ss Modder
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Just Sittin' The Bench
post #10 of 20 Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
Im going for 3.91 gear next tax refund. I am going eaton true trac posi too. and I already have the lpw cover, I just wonder if I need those end caps sold by Jannetty since they have to have machining still done to them to help , I already have bmr toes and trailing arms and some upper control arm delrin bushings for the install too, and am thinking of cradle bushings when doing it too. And well the 350 yah I exaggerate but close enough its probably going to be when I add the gears for a 13% gain around that at 200 or what ever.
Well gears don't add hp. They are a torque multiplier. Its hard to explain but I will try. Changing gears to a numerically higher ratio usually does not change your HP or TQ. In some cases it can decrease your HP and TQ but only minimally. What they do is they put you in a higher RPM at a lower speed. That is how it multiplies TQ. Because based on your cam and the power range of the engine, the rear gears along with the trans gears will put you in your power band earlier. For example, on my SS, at 40 MPH, I can down shift into 2nd and be in my power band. If I was going 30 MPH and down shifted into 2nd, I would be out of my power band and the car would not accelerate as hard as it will at 40 MPH. A numerically higher gear ratio, lets say 3.73 or 3.90, will make my car accelerate in 2nd gear at 30 MPH maybe even less, as hard as if it were at 40 MPH. So although I would have the exact same HP and TQ as before, the TQ is now multiplied in a sense because the car will accelerate faster. Like pedaling a 10 speed bicycle. If you pedal a certain speed in a low gear, you will accelerate to a certain speed. If you changed the gear and kept pedaling the same speed, your bicycle will go faster even tho you're still pedaling the same speed. The "13%" gain is kinda like saying the car will FEEL like it gained 13% more tq.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page