Why buy LT instead of SS?? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
xxSkullZxx

Garage
Why buy LT instead of SS??

I am curious those of you who bought a 2 LT V6 why you just didn't spend a couple grand more and go SS? The 2LT isn't really gaining you anything performance wise over the 2LS. You get the RS package, HID lighting, bigger wheels, back up camera, better stereo and leather trimmed interior, but there is little to no performance gain in the LT Vs. the LS as they both have the same stock 323 hp engine.

The cost difference between a 2LT and a 2SS isn't really that much more. Obviously at that point you have a budget above the guy who buys the LS, so why quibble over $2-3000 grand more? I can more understand if you don't have a massive down payment/trade in and don't want the $600-700 a month payment on the SS, but the 2LT buyer certainly can afford a few thousand more moreso than the 2LS buyer and what would be several thousands more.

No offense, but when I see a someone in a LT, I can't help but think that they have the exact same car as my 2 LS with a couple of nicities and they spent $8000 more for really no performance gain...323 hp, 278 ft lb. torque on and on. I know if it were me in that boat, I would have gone a few thousand more to get the 2 SS over the 2 LT. I however at time of purchase didn't want a massive car payment, so I went for the 2 LS and even with all of the mods and additions I have on my car, I still haven't equaled what it would have cost me to get into a 2 LT. I know, to each his own, but man, I just think the 2LT is overpriced Vs. the 2LS when you consider performance for the $$$!

2012 V6 IOM./ Borla axel back exhaust/ K&N Cold Air Intake/ 18" TSW Matte Black Mugello wheels, 35 % Tinting, Matte Black Rally Stripes, Matte Black Fade Gill Stripes, Matte Black Fender Hash Stripes, Tail Light and Side Marker Black Outs and Solid Black Bowties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM

yeah, you're exactly right, I could only get approved for a 1LS because I had a foreclosure on my credit, car was a great deal for $23,000 and I;ve added a lot to it myself, would have loved the sunroof & leather though..

but the 1LS has all the basics you could need, cruise control, SWRC, Bluetooth, XM, ipod input, even TPMS..

I don't think the 2LT with RS package is a bad deal, if you buy wheel & tires separate, say good quality like OEM, that's about $2000 right there, HID's with halos ($1200?), leather ($800), gauge package ($300), touch screen w/streaming Bluetooth audio ($1000?), just add up all those extras you get and what it would cost to add them, it's actually a good deal. plus you need the 2LT/2LS to get the sunroof & BA audio option. Plus all the stuff is already installed with full warranty,,

the standard reasons for choosing a v6 vs the v8,,

1. gas mileage (important if your're driving a lot)
2. Driving in snow
3. Insurance costs
4. Maintenance costs (tires!)

seriously, just on insurance and gas, a young man could save thousands a year,, plus not having the need for a 2nd vehicle for winter.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 06-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of 41 Old 06-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
yeah, you're exactly right, I could only get approved for a 1LS because I had a foreclosure on my credit, car was a great deal for $23,000 and I;ve added a lot to it myself, would have loved the sunroof & leather though..

but the 1LS has all the basics you could need, cruise control, SWRC, Bluetooth, XM, ipod input, even TPMS..

I don't think the 2LT with RS package is a bad deal, if you buy wheel & tires separate, say good quality like OEM, that's about $2000 right there, HID's with halos ($1200?), leather ($800), gauge package ($300), touch screen w/streaming Bluetooth audio ($1000?), just add up all those extras you get and what it would cost to add them, it's actually a good deal. plus you need the 2LT/2LS to get the sunroof & BA audio option. Plus all the stuff is already installed with full warranty,,

the standard reasons for choosing a v6 vs the v8,,

1. gas mileage (important if your're driving a lot)
2. Driving in snow
3. Insurance costs
4. Maintenance costs (tires!)

seriously, just on insurance and gas, a young man could save thousands a year,, plus not having the need for a 2nd vehicle for winter.
plus, if someone just wants a nice looking car and in addition to 1-4 doesn't car about performance, why pay the extra 8K?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 41 Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

And believe it or not, but the SS is too powerful for some people. But besides all that, you have to remember that if a finance company gives you let's say $28K dollars, they aren't gonna just give you an extra $2K-3K if the car you want is more expensive...in most cases.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #5 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM

Garage
It's all about the person. I had a Corvette as a main driver for 5 years with the LS2 and I was spending $80 a week on gas for that time. I just purchased a LT2 two weeks ago and already see the savings. Since It's a v6 I drive the car easy and enjoy my 3 hour a day bumper to bumper traffic. And on the weekend I still have both Corvette in the garage. Now if it was my only car, Yep the ZL1 would have been the choice.

2001 Corvette Vert
1978 Corvette
2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
post #6 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I happen to LOOOVE my 2LT convertible. For me.....it was....I really had no desire for a V8....I wanted better gas mileage....didn't buy it to "race". Paid cash for my Camaro and wasn't willing to shell out the extra for a SS convertible.

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #7 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Garage
2-3K more? Not in my area. I bought my '14 2LT/RS with the blue accent trim package in January for 31K. The 2SS which pretty much has the same thing as my 2LT but with a V8 was 39K or more, depending. I wanted the 4 pack gauges and HUD and everything else. Plus, if I was to buy the SS it would have been the 1LE which is even more money. Thats more than just a measly couple grand! I personally would have bought nothing if I had to get anything lower then the 2LT/RS model. I do a lot of city driving and wasn't looking to take it to the track or anything. It wasn't that I couldn't afford it either, I just didn't want to pay that much more of a car payment because with that price difference it was a lot. I also Have a 86 Camaro with a ZZ4 350 so if i want V8 power i break that out.

White 2014 2LT/RS! Black interior with Blue accent trim package.

post #8 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Support MC & Troops

I had a 1LT A6 Vert (nothing would of changed if Frost would have been a 2LT).. she was a wonderful car, I almost kept her, she was very affordable w/fuel, insurance, maintenance, "base model" was perfect but
after talking to the wife and never finding a 2013 BRM ZL1 Vert.. I figured, Shadow was the next best thing, she's fully loaded.. 2013 2SS/RS Vert A6, don't have to MOD much on her &
she's pure Awesomeness.. you know the power of a SS vs LT's tho the best part of her or her friends regardless if they are a V6 / V8.. they are a amazing peace of machine that I feel any one will LUV

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

Last edited by hotrodhoodrat; 06-09-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 09:37 AM

The choice when I got to the Chevy dealer was only 2 cars. One was a ruby red 12013 LT V6 with nav and the other was a 2013 black LS base model and my monthly budget was only $250.00 - lease or buy. I like red so after negations - I got the 2013 ruby red for my price ,added the gauge package and the duck spoiler, CAI, polished and ported Intake my self and I have been very happy with my daily driver. I have 3 other cars with a V8 so I did not need another V8, and saved on insurance. I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease as of now in 2 years. I don't need to go fast on NY roads and the car performs just fine.
post #10 of 41 Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM

A loaded 2LT is the same price as a 1SS--Cant figure out why either ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page