How will GM compete with new Hellcat Challenger? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

How will GM compete with new Hellcat Challenger?

Do you think that General Motors will try to overpower the Hellcat Challenger with the Camaro, or will they leave that task to the Corvette?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Personally I think the HP wars are getting too outta control. It doesn't matter who has the higher HP numbers but who can put the better results where it counts.

Look at Nurburgring. 668 HP Shelby GT500 got a slower time than 505 HP Camaro Z28.

So in that case, let dodge own the highest HP number on paper, but lets see what it can do where it counts.

Order #: VBBDZ1
2017 Camaro ZL1
Hyper Blue Metallic A10, PDR, NAV, Premium floor mats

Ordered: 12/26/16
March 2014 Member/Car Of the Month
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM
ModernCamaro.com Sponsor

The new ZO6 will still destroy the Hellcat on the track IMO. 4,400lbs+ is ridiculous IMO

707 is extremely impressive, but I wonder how heavy the steering will be? Lots of questions to be answered....can't wait for the comparison videos

I'd still take a GT500 over the Hellcat

Nick C.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Camaro will come in third. And like it.

It won't be that bad. Remember the 80s? I still bought Camaros then.

2010 2SS/RS Auto, Sunroof, Engine Cover. Transformer Edition package.
2013 ZL1 ragtop #5478. 1 of 54 CRT M6 'verts.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

I think what GM needs to do is offer an AWD option for certain Camaros and Corvettes.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 PM

That's funny, Chapel. I remember mentioning something like that to the folks on the Mustang side of the fence and was basically castrated. However, I think that they are just caught in the purist mindset and don't see the potential that niche may fill.

On Ford's side, they have the SHO platform that could retrofitted into a performance, specialty model Mustang to suit a particular need, if you will. On GM's side, they have the new AWD Cadillac TT 3.6. I see no reason other than upsetting the status quo as to why they can't adapt these power trains to work with their Mustang's or Camaro's.

You're going to have people argue it til they're blue in the face, though. They'll say that AWD makes absolutely no difference in terms of handling and why boost a smaller motor when you can just add cubes to a "real" motor. Unfortunately, for now the point is moot. Until an AWD variant from either Ford or GM's side comes out of the wood-works and shows it can not only be competitive, but a force to be reckoned with, the naysayers will be up in arms.

2014 Camaro 6.2L LS3 SS/RS, Hurst Short Throw, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust (Fuse Pulled) - Previous Cars: 1994 Mustang, 1997 WRX (in Japan), 1998 Mustang, 2002 A6 V8 Quattro, 2003 Mustang, 2012 Mustang
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockLS3 View Post
That's funny, Chapel. I remember mentioning something like that to the folks on the Mustang side of the fence and was basically castrated. However, I think that they are just caught in the purist mindset and don't see the potential that niche may fill.

On Ford's side, they have the SHO platform that could retrofitted into a performance, specialty model Mustang to suit a particular need, if you will. On GM's side, they have the new AWD Cadillac TT 3.6. I see no reason other than upsetting the status quo as to why they can't adapt these power trains to work with their Mustang's or Camaro's.

You're going to have people argue it til they're blue in the face, though. They'll say that AWD makes absolutely no difference in terms of handling and why boost a smaller motor when you can just add cubes to a "real" motor. Unfortunately, for now the point is moot. Until an AWD variant from either Ford or GM's side comes out of the wood-works and shows it can not only be competitive, but a force to be reckoned with, the naysayers will be up in arms.
Yea, those "purists" would still have us driving around with carburetors if it were up to them. They threw a fit back in the 80s when fuel injection became mainstream. They cried and whined about how FI engines would kill performance and we'll never have fast cars again. LOL. And now look at it, FI engines outperform carb'd engines in every aspect. AWD is gonna be the next wave. And I say GM should do it first. The Charger comes with the option as well as the Taurus SHO. And I've driven AWD cars in rain and snow, night and day difference between them and RWD.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Yea, those "purists" would still have us driving around with carburetors if it were up to them. They threw a fit back in the 80s when fuel injection became mainstream. They cried and whined about how FI engines would kill performance and we'll never have fast cars again. LOL. And now look at it, FI engines outperform carb'd engines in every aspect. AWD is gonna be the next wave. And I say GM should do it first. The Charger comes with the option as well as the Taurus SHO. And I've driven AWD cars in rain and snow, night and day difference between them and RWD.
...don't forget manual chokes, manual spark advance, hand cranked engines.....and manual transmissions!

Here's to PROGRESS!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Garage
The new Z28 will probably win on the circuit track. In a straight line 1/4 or 1/8, the Camaro doesn't stand a chance!
The new Z06 will smoke the Hellcat in either race.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM

I really doubt g.m. will even acknowledge the hellcat as being competition as CAFE standards are looming for 2017 and they have to retool for the next gen of cmaro ebing smaller. If you wanted to compare to a hellcat, put a different pully and intercooler on the zl1...wow your at 700 h.p. going with more boost like the challenger with 12 lb and the mustang with 15 lbs and the challenger is in the tail lights most likely.
The hellcat is a dodge thing, a stunt a day late and a dollar short, not that I would not love to get one as a freak O nature car to just have it to say hey: the most h.p. ever for a stock production muscle car, also probably the least gas mileage for a modern muscle car also..........lol Its made if you have read about it specifically to use all that boost with a cast iron block for strength and a destroked engine with forged internals to last and not go boom too easy. And yes getting power to the ground is where the real performance happens and it will be lucky to get in the tens stock most likely in reality a eleven's car from what a calculator will say with its tonnage.
Dodge just needs badly to try to develop some kind of American loyalty as its a traitor selling out to anyone with euro or two, and I wish them luck, and think the challenger is a better looking car compared to what the mustangs have been becoming with no trunk and slanted butts a little resemblance to the retro they were and getting even worse. Its no doubt something I hope g.m. will tread lightly with when going to the next gen as remember the 4th gen...... too aero too futuristic and no heritage like they drastically change everything and yuck ..... it flops eventually, and the only one I liked of them was the firebirdy with all its scoopa and suck to distract from the lines and a rear window you could grow plants in.
I am sure you will never hear numbers from a hellcat in Nuremburg, but hey they will set it up on a certain track with optimal conditions and the perfect tires etc to post a time for the quarter with a expert driver........... why do you think they posted a video of two challengers with the lines locked on the front burning rubber??????? because they are still working on getting a good enough time with the battleship it is to make it compare good to the gt500 a much lighter car that can do quarters fast.........
It does have some nice touches, the more retro rear lights, the gauges and all the bells and whistle for locking it into 500 h.p. like your ever going to let someone else drive it..lol and all the track and varied options a lot like a zl1. And the price is still coming down the pike............ I doubt seriously chevy will even say anything about the freak O nature especially when they are on a CYA mission with a million stupid recalls to show they care and then get them over with and have that to say in the future if they ever get called on any little thing by the NHTSA and then move forward with a bad memory. Chevy wants to cover their butts with a warranty on a zl1 and our Camaros ss that are undercammed and not living up to the potential in them but will easily make it through the warranty period and be reliable thus not costing them money!!!!! Now Dodge on the other hand wants to make headlines a little late..o.k. and they have a warranty too and I am sure if you breath on the hellcat it void!!! And at what price it sells for the limited production they will make will be a measure of pride for all those who paid too much in the past for SRT8 everythings............. and then now that they are broke they will go I should have got a hellcat.....

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page