will the burning plastic smell ever leave my camaro? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-11-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

will the burning plastic smell ever leave my camaro?

I prefer to run the floor heater in the winter because I don't like hot air on my face,, my car is a 2012 and this will be it's 3rd winter, yet every time I still run the floor heater I get burring plastic fumes, enough to give me a headache and I don't even run it on full heat.. I've even tried leaving the heater run on full for 10 minutes to try to get it out, twice, still there,,

this is starting to feel like that Seinfeld episode.

is this normal?

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I prefer to run the floor heater in the winter because I don't like hot air on my face,, my car is a 2012 and this will be it's 3rd winter, yet every time I still run the floor heater I get burring plastic fumes, enough to give me a headache and I don't even run it on full heat.. I've even tried leaving the heater run on full for 10 minutes to try to get it out, twice, still there,,

this is starting to feel like that Seinfeld episode.

is this normal?
Check in and behind your glove box. If you stick your arm in the back of the glove box you should be able see if anything fell back there from an overstuffed glove box. My owners manual was back there for a month before I realized....

2011 2LT Coupe: BBK LT Headers w/ HF Cats. BBK CAI. AirAid TBS. Cat-Back Custom 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe and Pacesetter TFX Mufflers. Aggresive Trifecta 93 Octane Tune w/ Ghost Cam. 18" Advanti Summer Wheels and OEM 18" Stock Winter Wheels.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

85 views and no one else has had this issue?

I will check behind the glove box but he smell is coming from both vents, drier & passenger.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
You may want to check the possibility of a heater core leak....

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #5 of 12 Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You may want to check the possibility of a heater core leak....
Thats true. Ive read about that on the other forum.

2011 2LT Coupe: BBK LT Headers w/ HF Cats. BBK CAI. AirAid TBS. Cat-Back Custom 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe and Pacesetter TFX Mufflers. Aggresive Trifecta 93 Octane Tune w/ Ghost Cam. 18" Advanti Summer Wheels and OEM 18" Stock Winter Wheels.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geonny04 View Post
Thats true. Ive read about that on the other forum.
okay, that sounds like a relativity un-invasive fix. funny how I only really notice it on the floor heater, not with the upper vents.

now with a leaking core heater, would any of my fluids be low? what is leaking into the vents? burnt coolant? Exhaust?

sorry I don't know how these things work..

post #7 of 12 Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM

What's Wrong With My Car?!: 5 Signs it's your Heater Core

Informative article. The "Sign 2" sounds like what you're describing.

Probably the smell of evaporating steam off of your busted heater core or heater core vents.

If your car fogs up really fast, they say thats another tell tale sign.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
okay, that sounds like a relativity un-invasive fix. funny how I only really notice it on the floor heater, not with the upper vents.

now with a leaking core heater, would any of my fluids be low? what is leaking into the vents? burnt coolant? Exhaust?

sorry I don't know how these things work..
Well, depending on the size of the "leak" in the core you may or may not notice your coolant level dropping... The heater core is just like a radiator in design and construction and can actually "evaporate" the leaking coolant leaving no sign of the leak externally (via the drain hose for the AC/Heater box).

It is odd that you don't get the smell when on the vent position or defrost but stranger things have happened in my time as an automotive tech....

If it is under warranty GET IT IN THERE NOW! This is not a "casual" repair. The entire dash has to come out!

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #9 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I think I figured it out..

I had bought these plastic winter floor mats, when the floor heater was on it directed heat towards the floor, warming the mats which was putting off some bad fumes,

took them out & seems to be fine now..

doesn't it figure, floor mats too toxic to put in a car. Chinese product for ya I guess.

seriously I was getting a headache everyday from this crap, shows how toxic these everyday products are.

maybe I'll get a pair of those weather techs, but they would probably do the same thing.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-14-2014 at 04:41 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I think I figured it out..

I had bought these plastic winter floor mats, when the floor heater was on it directed heat towards the floor, warming the mats which was putting off some bad fumes,

took them out & seems to be fine now..

doesn't it figure, floor mats too toxic to put in a car. Chinese product for ya I guess.

seriously I was getting a headache everyday from this crap, shows how toxic these everyday products are.

maybe I'll get a pair of those weather techs, but they would probably do the same thing.
WOW. Thats really messed up. I have Weathertech mats front and back. I haven't had any problems. I love them, but they are too expensive for what they are. They stain if you leave snow/salt on them too long, just as a heads up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page