Advice about Using my 2011 as a Daily Driver - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Advice about Using my 2011 as a Daily Driver

I bought my 2011 Camaro LT2 RS convertible used in 2013 for a weekend cruiser. For about a year and a half, I used it sparingly and only in sunny weather top down. Since Thanksgiving, I have started using the car as my daily driver and commute M-F about 100 miles round trip. I have 20500 miles on my car now. I average about 30K a year with my job. Car is getting 25 mpg overall.
Questions: 1) Is the Camaro reliable for a daily driver for the number of miles I will be driving each year?
2) Is there any concern or reason I should have for not using a convertible for my daily driver? a Camaro?

My commute is mainly highway/interstate, though there is some city traffic. The car is the V6. I have had no issues, though when I bought the car in 2013 the previous owner had worn the front tires unevenly (outer edge is more worn than middle or inside). The car rides fine but there is some unevenness and sway on rough pavement from the front end. I am hoping if I keep the car that new tires will correct this feeling.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. If I would trade now, I would go to a small SUV like the Outlander Sport or perhaps a sedan like a used Acura or such. If I keep, I might trade for the new 16 model in a coupe. Idk.

Advice is appreciated on use of car as a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
I have a 2013 2LT/RS convertible. It has been my daily driver since day 1. That being said...I recently changed jobs...now M-F my round trip is around 50 miles. My youngest son(lives with me) said I should buy a cheap car just to drive to work. My answer was..." I bought the Camaro to drive it...not for it to sit in the garage."

And I'm totally jealous of your gas mileage...I have averaged only 16.8 MPG from day 1 on my V6

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
I have a 2013 2LT/RS convertible. It has been my daily driver since day 1. That being said...I recently changed jobs...now M-F my round trip is around 50 miles. My youngest son(lives with me) said I should buy a cheap car just to drive to work. My answer was..." I bought the Camaro to drive it...not for it to sit in the garage."

And I'm totally jealous of your gas mileage...I have averaged only 16.8 MPG from day 1 on my V6
man, I'm glad I don't do your city driving!!!! in my SS I have averaged 19-19.5, about 30 miles each way to work.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Hokie View Post
man, I'm glad I don't do your city driving!!!! in my SS I have averaged 19-19.5, about 30 miles each way to work.
Once again....jealous. The good news...it now costs me $42 to fill up now instead of $60+

2013 2LT/ RS Blue Ray Metallic VERT..."Cami"
2010 Grabber Blue Mustang VERT......."Stella Blue"

January 2014 MC Member of the Month!

post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
Once again....jealous. The good news...it now costs me $42 to fill up now instead of $60+
that's where you make up your difference premium versus regular

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM

I have used both my Camaros, the first one being a vert for daily driving, I used sunbrella on it to protect the top. I would imagine your uneven tire wear was from someone doing tight corners fast..... I as many others on here belong to true delta and report our car repairs and reliability, Our cars are generally much more reliable than the mustang and especially the dodges. The v-6 engines are more problematic from some things like a lifter tick sound or some have had timing issues, you could go on this and other forums and look up problems that have occurred with the v-6 as they made two different models of engines sort of..... But remember forums are a place where people go when they have a problem a lot and are not a good yard stick to measure what actually happens in the real world.
Where I work I have a couple co workers who drive their v-6 Camaros all the time, one doing 50 mile round trips daily with no problems and he has done modifications to the looks with ground effects, bumper, hood, and done a 3.91 rear etc.....

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM

the car can handle it just fine, I just don't see the point in driving a convertible in the winter. but I guess it's really never winter in Louisiana, If you have the space you should buy a beater, and just use your Camaro on the days you really want to. The Camaro will last much longer that way. Convertibles are expensive, I would want mine to last longer than 5 years. Plus you can get much better mileage in a beater.

I have a base model, it's a $24k car so it's my only car. I run it 70 miles a day, but use my bike in the summer.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 01-03-2015 at 09:22 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Very encouraging information. I really enjoy the drive and feel of this car. I appreciate the replies.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Garage
My wife has been driving our (mine mine mine) car back and forth to work. It's just a hair over 100 miles round trip. We have had zero problems.

Make sure you keep up on maintenance and you'll be ok. These Camaro's love to be driven.

My wife actually drives a little out of the way to stay on some nice twisty roads. It clears her head after teaching Biology and Chemistry to 9th graders all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page