American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Supporter of common sense

American Axle sends Camaro work to Mexico

this is a follow up to Axle plant's hopes ride on new Camaro

Souce: Business First of Buffalo - Thomas Hartley

Hope was dashed Wednesday that American Axle & Manufacturing's local axle plant could land work on the GM's new Camaro muscle car.

The company told employees that the work, instead of being assigned to Buffalo, will be done at a Mexican plant.

"I'm disappointed and disgusted," said Kevin Donovan, the United Auto Workers union's Region 9 assistant director.

"The plant worked hard to make American Axle a success which gave them the opportunity to build plants in Mexico. Now the company is taking work that we worked real hard to bring here and is putting it into Mexico," he said.

Plant officials told UAW members at meetings in the morning and afternoon where the decision was announced that American Axle will aggressively pursue other new work for the Delavan Avenue facility.

A company official at Detroit headquarters declined comment.

Donovan estimated that 130 local jobs probably would have been involved in producing components for the Camaro, which is being introduced in the 2008 model year.

The plant has about 650 to 700 hourly workers. Several hundred more are on layoff, some since early this year.

At three Western New York facilities -- Buffalo, Town of Tonawanda and Cheektowaga -- American Axle has 1,700 employees.

The modern update of the popular 1960's-era model Camaro is being assembled at General Motors Corp.'s plant in Oshawa, Ont.

Workers at GM's Powertrain plant in the Town of Tonawanda were still waiting this week to learn if they would be assigned to make the Camaro's engines.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 06:16 AM

So far this "American Icon" has no America in it...

Not off to a good start. Let's hope most of the parts are sourced in the states.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 04:35 PM

once again the true american muscle car is gone for ever

post #4 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM

who cares atleast this car is going to be great quality well..i hope so...if this car was made by the usa it would be garbage!
post #5 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6 View Post
So far this "American Icon" has no America in it...

Not off to a good start. Let's hope most of the parts are sourced in the states.
Just like when Chevy advertised the 1993 Camaro 'From the country that brought you Rock N Roll'

post #6 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
who cares atleast this car is going to be great quality well..i hope so...if this car was made by the usa it would be garbage!
That's a really ****ty attitude...

So you're saying every car made in the US is garbage?

That would include the Camry, Altima, Honda Accord too?
post #7 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 09:11 PM

everyone is missing the fact that its about pride, camaro is brought up in a conversation between two people they think american muscle car. It takes the whole point out of this new start, they are bringing back an american icon, its not going to be an american icon if its built in many different countries, theres no pride behind that. Gavin you have no pride when comes to your own country. You as a fifth gen. supporter should be pushing along with everyone else here to have as much of this car built in america as we want as camaro owners.

And i as an automotive tech dare you to go up to these auto workers that sweat there a** off day in and day out striving to put the american pride back in our cars and tell them that their work is garbage. you'd be in for one hell of an awakening.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodygrad View Post
everyone is missing the fact that its about pride, camaro is brought up in a conversation between two people they think american muscle car. It takes the whole point out of this new start, they are bringing back an american icon, its not going to be an american icon if its built in many different countries, theres no pride behind that. Gavin you have no pride when comes to your own country. You as a fifth gen. supporter should be pushing along with everyone else here to have as much of this car built in america as we want as camaro owners.

And i as an automotive tech dare you to go up to these auto workers that sweat there a** off day in and day out striving to put the american pride back in our cars and tell them that their work is garbage. you'd be in for one hell of an awakening.
It isn't about pride, it's about dollars and cents, that is the bottom line with EVERY major manufacturer in the USA today.

People need to wake up from the 'BUY USA' attitude, those days are gone and will never return. Fact is there isn't one vehicle today that is 100% usa made, manuf or assembled.

Also, internet groups like this one are the MINORITY when it comes to things like the Camaro. While GM does monitor them for opinion, they are a very small voice compared to the overall target market for something like a new vehicle.

post #9 of 21 Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
It isn't about pride, it's about dollars and cents, that is the bottom line with EVERY major manufacturer in the USA today.

People need to wake up from the 'BUY USA' attitude, those days are gone and will never return. Fact is there isn't one vehicle today that is 100% usa made, manuf or assembled.

Also, internet groups like this one are the MINORITY when it comes to things like the Camaro. While GM does monitor them for opinion, they are a very small voice compared to the overall target market for something like a new vehicle.
Im sorry that u feel that way, that u believe we the consumer, don't have a voice in the products we buy. we might be the minority but we still have a voice.

Yes i have a buy american attitude, everychance i get the products i buy come with a made in america stamp, i have pride in my country.everyone should hate how our jobs are being sent over seas and everytime you buy an overseas you are supporting the idea cheaper labor movement.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2006, 01:26 PM

so when i buy something its going to be made as much in america as it can. and ifs its not enough when i buy it, ill buy the stuff to make it more american, and that means when i buy the new camaro ill pull the mexican made axles and replace them with american made ones, cause attitudes like that keep pay checks coming to hard working americans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page