Tire Replacement Advice - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Smile Tire Replacement Advice

I bought my 2011 RS convertible used with 17K on it almost two years ago. I now have 23K and the front tires are somewhat worn along the outside edges. These are Pirelli tires - 20" - the originals. The previous owner had a great deal of curb rash on the rims, so I am thinking the tires may have been through it.

Questions, if you would not mind advising me:
1) How many miles should a Camaro tire (such as the Pirelli) last?
2) Would you recommend the Pirelli as replacements?
3) Would replacing the wheels with chrome rims change the ride and drive quality of the car?

I really enjoy the way my car handles. I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Garage
I had 19 in Pirelli on my vert and just put 20 ZL1 replicas on at 17K with more than 50% left on the 19s. The oem tires generally have excellent tread wear and performance to meet the automobile's design. Here is a pic of my new rims and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01800 (3).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	44154   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01799.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	44162   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01803 (4).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	44170  

2011 Early Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood and side skirts, belly pan, carbon fiber extractor, ZL1 wheels, K&N cai, Elite catch can, Big Worm Black/Red Bowties, Vitesse TC
post #3 of 20 Old 01-26-2015, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

there are posts on here that PatriotPa got 55000 on his originals

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 20 Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Garage
True. Also, the finish on your wheels will NOT affect tire wear, mileage or performance.
You can get your wheels repaired, and they'll look like new.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromark View Post
I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!
Make sure you have an alignment done when you do the tires. Signs of curb rash and single edge wear means it def needs an alignment... There are different methods of aligning a car. One is geared solely around tire longevity, the other is geared around performance/handling....

As for wheels, you most likely won't notice any handling change unless you go larger or wider or end up with a heavier wheel...

Chuck
2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC - Born on 10/05/09
MyCamaroBuildInfo

"You Were Really Flyin' When I Passed You Back There!"
February-2013-MOTM-Winner
post #6 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

I also have a 2013 vert. Bought mine with 19k. I am changing tires today with 39k. Still have some tread on the p20's but it is a little dicey on the wet roads around here. Once the wear begins as you have described, I don't believe there is much you can do to extend the life much. I am replacing with Nitto's. Ck for a RIM DR. in your area. Had one repaired on my wife's accord and it turned out great. Good luck!
post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not a fan of the Pirellis. I think the Pilot SS tires are probably top of the line. I went with Continental Extreme-Contact DSW tires.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #8 of 20 Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I'm with Chapel, my Pirellis were shot early on. I went with the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus on advise i received from this forum. I'm extremely happy with them.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromark View Post
I bought my 2011 RS convertible used with 17K on it almost two years ago. I now have 23K and the front tires are somewhat worn along the outside edges. These are Pirelli tires - 20" - the originals. The previous owner had a great deal of curb rash on the rims, so I am thinking the tires may have been through it.

Questions, if you would not mind advising me:
1) How many miles should a Camaro tire (such as the Pirelli) last?
2) Would you recommend the Pirelli as replacements?
3) Would replacing the wheels with chrome rims change the ride and drive quality of the car?

I really enjoy the way my car handles. I think with new tires, if indeed needed, it might handle even better. I am considering the rims only as something to add to the look of the car. If it would detract from the ride/handling, I would not want them. Thanks for your help!
Make sure you keep a proper alignment and rotate the tires when recommended to get the most life out of them as you can .

As far as replacements it all depends on how you intend to drive the car and what weather conditions you drive in rain , snow , extreme heat , track use etc. Not every tire is ideal for everyone .
post #10 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Been on the Nitto Motivo's for a couple of days now. First thing i noticed is how much quieter they are than the P Zeros. Seems to handle the same. Road trip this weekend. Will let you know if my opinion changes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page