Oracle scanner bars POS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Oracle scanner bars POS/ zl1 spoiler/ mrt louvers

Well figured I would update my latest greatest attempts at my customization of my Camaro..... lol Well having received the tax refund this year and paying off debt I decided to replace the last Oracle scanner bar which its fit and install are very easy yet..... It had a very poor water proof coating over the front, and yes it was perfectly the shape of the mail slot on the front of the SS yet it had within months had water intrusion into the scanner itself yet still functioned but was never that bright.... Eventually its heavily fogged appearance began to look really look like crap and it had malfunctioned occasionally from rain ....(not that I used it except for car shows or to show it off to people interested in my car, and of course Halloween in the driveway when I would let the underbody cheap light kit from china shine its RBG red blue green to color patterns ..30$ still works)....

Anyway so having bought one of these early models from most likely Phastek who I just bought the replacement from coming from Oracle..,( could have bought it from automotivelightstore.com also Advanced Automotive Concepts- AACstyle.com which I bought other LED lighting from for other things that work well), I was determined to have the now cheaper $70 compared to $120 for the first one installed. SO this is where later I will show pics when its light out later... Well the new Scanner/lightbar is brighter by far than the original yet is too long and not in the shape of the mail slot like the first..UGHHHH So to install you have to cut out both sides of the mail slot to make it fit though from the back as it has a bigger wiring harness not just a couple wires.... I did that no problem but did not like it with my exacto knives making it as tight as possible to show no reveal around the light bar as I fed it through.

Now being 22" long fitting in a like 18" slot it has to go through the other side of the mail slot if you expect to have it bow enough to form more into the V shape the front is, and especially as you have to supply the double sided emblem tape yourself to attach it as it does not snap into place like the first one that more closely resembled the little grill from the mail slot. So having fed it through one side unwrapping the backing of the tape and then forcing it through the other side gently I got it in place......

Well the Dang thing is a light bar...stiff and has a clear plastic wrap around it that looks better than the first ones poured on coating... yes it was not going to make the V shape it wanted to stay bowed so with a little pressure to attach the tape better.... SNAP the thing breaks in the middle...WTF oh well lesson learned....Fool me once shame on me fool me twice URRRGGGGG SOB
so anyway the damage...three of the LED's in the center do not work otherwise its ok and has made the V shape of the front mail slot.

I would just like to point out these are made in China no doubt and have the exact same shape/size of remote my $30 Chinese underbody water proof light kit with 2 48" and 2 36" RBG has and well the remote appears to turn on and make the under body lights function on some of its buttons..... SO for some of you who may want to do lighting this was my experience with the 2nd scanner... For those of you who want to save a buck ..may want to go drive in a Christmas parade etc or light it up for a show heres the real place to buy stuff..lol direct from China.....

under car led lights | eBay

The one I bought a year or so ago was about $30 and they are there under 7 color LED undercar and are some of the first ones advertised and have multiple postings for multiple prices and have stood up to Daily driving Oregon wet winter weather, you just have to attach them with ...your own double sided emblem tape and I put mine in front of the air deflector under the front bumper and behind the pinch rails on sides and hid wiring with new wiring loom covers to make it hidden.

My next projects coming are MRT louvers coming Fed ex , and PFYC a rear ZL1 spoiler in Crystal claret pearl tricoat..... (which is crystal red tintcoat) that they still have not given me shipping info on and wondering when it will show up that I purchased .. it was like $230 painted which I hope it will at least be close in the color or I am going to vinyl it.... because the three coats of paint to make CRT on a body kit are more expensive than buying the body kits I have been researching............. Well you all have a good day and hopefully you can learn from my FUN...lol

And I just got my cars windows tinted with a life time guarantee for $195 looks good but we are at 25% and 35% here in Oregon....

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 04-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Looks good Bud!!

Thanks for the Info!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM

I actually have 3 extra red straight LED scanner bars in my possession if anyone is interested; Long story. Bought mine from Ebay (china) as well. However, this is what I did to help with the installation.

First; definitely use a heat gun to bend them gently to get the angle you need. I then quickly cooled it back down with some can air.

Secondly; I re-did the ends by using heat shrink and then plastic-dipped (the actual black liquid dipping stuff) to coat both ends to help seal.

I also used night shade tint the bar to blend in better with the front end.

Thirdly; Like christian stated getting these little buggers into the sides and then seal down with 3M tape is a little challenging. Make SURE you leave plenty of the 3M backing to pull as you place into the slot.

I haven't had mine out in weather to see how it holds up, but having a weekend warrior convertible, it doesn't see that much weather anyway. May try to post a video up later.

Proud owner of Litho #198

post #4 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

SO here is a pic of the old scanner bar with the same remote control for the new scanner that I have for the Chinese underbody lighting that is exactly the same as the Oracle..... here it shows the old formed fitting scanner with its terrible fading next to the new one installed...And BTW yes both controllers can control both sets of lights......LOL and a few pics of the MRT louvers I just installed in about 1 hour, over all I would say fit is 8.5 , finish 9-10 I need to tweak one side a little as the top left corner likes to stick up a little compared to the other side and I am sure it is due to the hinge welds. I used to do a lot of welding and just the very slightest difference in positioning of C hair and I can tell in the hinge position...LOL

But over all very nice and they could have made them lock down better I thin I may trim the two little studs that it locks down too as it makes the latching part stick up when latched down... Some thing also to look at closer, I have the reveals around it perfect and the templates were just fair with My knowing to have left some extra on the trimming of the corner template as they were cheap copies that sucked and I of course mocked it up on it first to make sure it was dead on before attaching.

Over all though the black and red look is nice I think and hey you got to go with what you like.

That was a old pic up top, the newer lights in the scanner bar are brighter and you can see why... lol Good luck to you all , now if the spoiler would just show up...lol

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #5 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Looks great, I hope this one holds up batter then the last one.

2011 LS Coupe/RS clone
Oracle halo's, Katzkin covers, C.A.I. CAI, Hurst shift kit
Modern Camaro MOTM February 2015
post #6 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Have you contacted Oracle?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

there is no use contacting oracle its obvious they use just a straight scanner bar from China..... and there is a disclaimer right when you open the box..... DO not bend to much installing it will break and void warranty....SO next time if I ever get one again I will just go straight to ebay LED lighting and get one straight from China for 1/3 the cost ...lol I should have known better you see the old unit looked good, fit great was easy to install it just went to crap fast, this one well I should have heated it and tried to see if........ Yet did not want to damage it and it was 60 degrees...

post #8 of 23 Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
http://oraclelights.com/EmailUs.asp

It might be worth it to let them know they're selling crap and give them a chance to correct their problems.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post

l
Love the louvers - If only I can convince my wife to let me purchase one. She thinks they do not belong on a new car and should stay with the older muscle car generation.

2011 SummitWhite 2LT/RS (SOLD)
2010 Black 2LT/RS (ZLRS) (Current)
ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Actually I have had nothing but compliments on them, and just installed my PFYC spoiler was $230 with shipping to go to the ZL1 spoiler and am happy with the quality though the thing is not totally perfect the very small defects are just that under the paint,,,,lol not too hard to install it had tape to foam seal around the holes and along the length to give it the water proofing needed and the wire to the third brake light was almost long enough, the splice in a PITA just to get in the RR passenger panel which I just pulled the top loose to fit in there and access the wiring harness connection with the separate two wire clip that comes off at the top that's connected to the inner quarter by clip. The problem was baring the wire and splicing and taping in such a small space.

I did drill a new hole for the wire and decided to fill the holes left from the stock spoiler, and used some two part epoxy putty that I smashed up through the holes from the trunk with my fingers then leveled off with my fingers and then painted with touch up paint form the dealer to make the holes much less noticeable than using body panel plugs I had from a body shop I could have filled the holes with, and yes it is water tight I even found JB weld water weld so I am using some on defects in my bathtub...lol

You will notice since I do not have ground effects yet I have went with some cheap rocker panel stripes I got from online for $30 and I do not care if I confuse people to think it is a Mustang...lol They are not the only car to ever sport rocker stripes, just as they are not the only ones with louvers, and yes there is a grabber blue mustang at my work with all the little fake scoops and a plastic louver set over the rear window...... Mine looks by far more classy and expensive. And I am lucky the Crystal claret pearl tricoat paint perfectly matched my car....some places want more than a whole body ground effect kit price to paint that color on the body kit...... this spoiler was $70 added to the price painted...and of course came with directions for a Honda Civic....lol Here is the link to the spoiler: http://www.pfyc.com/pc/CA1203/CAEXT/....html#moreinfo

Think I may just go take a pic in the dark now ....... And have link here for the pic I found for the harness to connect to the light though it is not that good.... which also shows pics of a car with plugged holes http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...poiler+install

Hey anyone need a CRT stock spoiler for cheap? lol I much prefer the larger more aggressive size of the zl1 spoiler with the car.

Good luck to you all and happy motoring!!!!!

Last edited by christianchevelle; 02-22-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page