question about spares - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

question about spares

my 2013 SS has no spare what's up with that. i found out the hard way this morning. are all camaros this way. but get this the tire was beyond repair.
so i'm thinking great. be the guy goes i have a used one same size. at this point i didn't care so i said sure, anything to get me home. so he comes back and i can't believe my eyes he's rolling out the same type tire i had. and it's hardly got any tread wear on it. sorry to ramble long story short i get the tire mounted and balanced for 45 bucks! he didn't know what he had. that tire from dealership sells for 250 dollars. what started out a bad day ended up good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 04:58 AM
ユキヒョウ

yeah the green goo and air pump in place of a spare tire has never been a popular feature. there is a spare tire option for a doughnut spare, but I think it's only available for the V6 models when ordering. Doesn't mean you can't get the kit. I've seen them for sale on ebay and forums...but can be a little pricey.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 02-21-2015 at 05:05 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Try not to use the green goo (snot) in the box if you can help it. The stuff will ruin you TPM valve in the rim. They are not expensive but a hassle to replace.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Try not to use the green goo (snot) in the box if you can help it. The stuff will ruin you TPM valve in the rim. They are not expensive but a hassle to replace.
just curious, why are they a hassle to replace? availability?

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Garage
It has been my experience that they are available at any auto supply or the dealer, depending on how much $$ you are willing to spend. Just be sure to install a new one and not try to "clean" the old one after using the tire sealer foam. The tire shop usually will try to sell you one since they are the ones who are fixing the tire problem anyway. Then of course you have to re train your TPM system to recognize the new sensor.

I only mentioned this to advise someone not to use the foam unless it is needed to get you home then of course use it but be aware of the results. Plus the cost of the new "box of snot" to replace the one time use box you just used.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #6 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
It has been my experience that they are available at any auto supply or the dealer, depending on how much $$ you are willing to spend. Just be sure to install a new one and not try to "clean" the old one after using the tire sealer foam. The tire shop usually will try to sell you one since they are the ones who are fixing the tire problem anyway. Then of course you have to re train your TPM system to recognize the new sensor.

I only mentioned this to advise someone not to use the foam unless it is needed to get you home then of course use it but be aware of the results. Plus the cost of the new "box of snot" to replace the one time use box you just used.
okay, got it, I understand what you were saying now, thanks.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Support MC & Troops

+1 the stuff is to much, buy a can, its way cheaper & have a extra sensor too

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"
post #8 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM

Garage
Good to know about the snot! Don't use snot, seems logical!

Modern Camaro MOTM April 2015

2014 LS2 Summit White
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
post #9 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM

A wheel adapter/spacer allows me to use the Camaro 1LT 2013 Spare tire set on my new 2014 SS (Tire/Wheel, jack, lug wrench from my old Camaro).

Size mis-match in the back can only be done for very short distance due to wear on differential -- must only use spare in front for longer distance.
Ordered adpater/spacer from a company that also customizes to exact dimensions I needed.
5 X 120 to 5 X 120 Wheel Adapter
Per specs others have helped with via reading other threads ... this adapter/spacer allows the 2013 Camaro OEM Stock Spare tire and jack set I kept from my 1LT to work on my new 2014 2SS/RS with Brembo Roller Skates.

Here are the Specs I included with the order ...
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 120mm to 5 x 120mm
Center Bore: 66.9 MM (Camaro is Hubcentric, center bore should fit tight to the hub)
Studs: 1.5 14mm (American Made, Heat Treated, SAE Approved, OEM quality studs pressed into the adapters)
Spacer Thickness: 2.5" (exactly)
(it is 2.3" up to bevels on each edge, adding in the bevels it is a full 2.5" thick spacer, see picture with the ruler taped to side below)

When ordering I specified the car does not use Lug Bolts.
The five special lug nuts the spacer arrives with, have long collars on them which self center when attaching the spacer to the hub (see pic), locks the collars in to spacer very tightly.

Here are pics:

Front Surface

Side

Back Surface - notice all edges on the spacer are nicely beveled.

Lug_Nuts_with_long_Collar 14mm x 1.5 (thread) --- for attaching spacer to hub on car

Weekend is here! Sunday Weather Cleared, almost 60 degrees ... went out to test fit the Wheel Adapter/Spacer ...
Pulled the lug wrench, jack assembly, spare tire, torque wrench, etc. out of the trunk.
Here is picture of Stock Hub BEFORE Wheel Adapter/Spacer install. Note the center hub has a collar that sticks out (66.9 mm diameter) - Camaro is Hubcentric. Put a doubled-up cloth on the top of scissor jack so it wouldn't scape up the lip on the car's jack point.

This shows the wheel adapter/spacer installed on the car's hub. It fits precisely over the hub flange, no play, it is not loose at all.
Probably would stay on there without even using the lug nuts, ha ha.

View from another angle - in a previous picture it shows the special wide collar lug nuts that will hold this in place.
To torque you can put a screwdriver in a slot in the rotor to keep from turning.

Installed spare wheel/tire from my 2013 1LT on to the 2014 Camaro 2SS
In the first picture here I used the factory Camaro SS wheel lugs - rather large

Didn't seem right with those lug nuts so I grabbed some smaller profile lug nuts from spare parts bin.
It turns out that I only had 4 smaller lug nuts in the parts bin - so one stud is bare.

Next I spun the tire and it moved freely. Put my hand around back and felt 1/4" space between the outer Brembo roller skates and wheel flange. The 2.5" wide Adapter/Spacer is just the right width as recommended by others.
Ron

2014 2SS/RS, Factory installed ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter and NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust. Z28 strut tower brace, ZL1 splash guards,
Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot.

Last edited by ron123; 02-23-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Its not pretty on the car, but, in a pinch, I guess it works

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page