Brake fluid seepage at Reservoir on 2015 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Brake fluid seepage at Reservoir on 2015

I noticed a small amount of brake fluid the other day around and on bottom of the Master Cyl. brake reservoir thinking the tech that changed oil/filter may have topped it off and spilled some. I cleaned everything. Checked it today and there was a spot or two of fluid around the reservoir seam.
It was dry at the cap.
Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Wow - this is an old thread opened back in May.
Have an SS and noticed small amount of brake fluid ... same area, right at the plastic seam area and a few spots on sheet metal below. Turns out it is from the cap seal in my case.

After some searching in forums found out what I am seeing is normal. More chance to leak when filled up above the plastic baffle (plastic plate with small hole in it in the filler neck).

Forum reports say that the rubber cap gasket does not fit tight and is the cause of leaks. Some cut a plastic washer out of a gallon milk jug (from jug bottom) and then remove the gasket - put the plastic washer in the cap and re-install the gasket over the washer. Read that the extra thickness provided by the washer causes the rubber gasket to fit tighter.

Also heard there was a TSB and replacement cap available, reports of success with that are not consistent.

Also read another option is Advance Auto or Autozone has a thicker cap gasket (universal parts section) - looks identical but slightly thicker around gasket base.
Ron

2014 2SS/RS, Factory installed ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter and NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust. Z28 strut tower brace, ZL1 splash guards,
Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-27-2015, 06:21 PM

Garage
If you did some research, there was a recall on the reservoir and cap on the 2012's for sure. It was a flaw of the reservoir & cap and GM replaced it on my Camaro. Michael in Virginia

:

post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I did some research and found that out concerning the 2012's. I was wondering if anyone with a 2015 had this happen hence the title of this thread "Brake fluid seepage at Reservoir on 2015".

I have found out since that time the tech did indeed put to much fluid in the reservoir.
Took care of it myself now all is well.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Wow - this is an old thread opened back in May.
Have an SS and noticed small amount of brake fluid ... same area, right at the plastic seam area and a few spots on sheet metal below. Turns out it is from the cap seal in my case.

After some searching in forums found out what I am seeing is normal. More chance to leak when filled up above the plastic baffle (plastic plate with small hole in it in the filler neck).

Forum reports say that the rubber cap gasket does not fit tight and is the cause of leaks. Some cut a plastic washer out of a gallon milk jug (from jug bottom) and then remove the gasket - put the plastic washer in the cap and re-install the gasket over the washer. Read that the extra thickness provided by the washer causes the rubber gasket to fit tighter.

Also heard there was a TSB and replacement cap available, reports of success with that are not consistent.

Also read another option is Advance Auto or Autozone has a thicker cap gasket (universal parts section) - looks identical but slightly thicker around gasket base.
Ron
Thanks for the info. This could possibly be a fix for many of those with "leaky caps".
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 AM

The Z28 is an amazing car. Sat in 3 so far in showrooms and saw a few at Camarofest.
Your car must be getting compliments and stares whenever you drive it.

My "Poor Man" version of the Camaro would like to have the same Air Intake, Bowtie, and Recaro seats -- waiting for a family member to give me a real generous Chevy Accessories Gift Certificate, ha ha; too bad the GM Card points don't count for that.
Ron

2014 2SS/RS, Factory installed ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter and NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust. Z28 strut tower brace, ZL1 splash guards,
Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page