Over rev/ engine trashed much later, now 428 ls3 - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Over rev/ engine trashed much later, now 428 ls3

SO the carnage that resulted from a over rev months before did not happen until four months later. My engine was so strong it gave up within ten miles of regular daily driving just going to and bringing it to have it cats checked for plugging.

I thought maybe I had a situation with its idling quality as when a hose fell off my cheap Chinese catch can and it set MAP/MAF codes, would not idle worth a crap and set off CEL and stabillitrac codes every time I would stop...and was befuddled so I took it to the zone and they said....#2 misfires, so I changed the plug... and ten miles later after coming almosthome from having the cats and o2s checked, ( I ran real rich with a .639/.623 lift 235/239 112 lsa tsp cam),

I started really having trouble staying at idle and had to rev some on the way back at stop lights, was just trying to creep home and right at my corner to my block....."TINK" that's the sound of the second valve spring breaking ...it had made a very slight ticking in the last couple of miles

I thought it sounded like a old school header paper gasket leak just starting... And just wanted to limp it home to take the valve covers off.
"Tink" is also the sound of the valve dropping, its head being broken off around 1700 rpm and the piston hitting it repeatedly until it breaks off , and the sound of the wrist pin cracking my cylinder sleeve.

SO you may wonder how this came to happen four months after a over rev.... Well it happened on the freeway one day, I know it happened in just a couple seconds but it was SICK. Myself and my wife were coming back form U of O from seeing our daughter and the freeway north was crowded with the usual wankers who made not only the slow lane which is usually crowded full, but also the fast lane full of a hog line for miles and miles. Its ok though slow going as the fast lane is going maybe 65 and after many miles of being in the line I took the center lane for a break as it was open for a mile or so.

So I pull up behind a full size van I cant see around, and wait to try to get in the hog line again, and well 5-10 miles later...... I finally get a chance to get back in the fast lane as I do like to keep a safety cushion and get tired of staying in line with wankers trying to steal your cushion or butt into line.

I have my NPP exhaust open on my mild to wild and in fifth gear cammed its good for the pass, I go fast to get around the van doing maybe 80 and the Jerk in the econobox that sat in front of him for all these miles decides he is going for the fast lane in my opening and there he is 1" from my bumper, and me accelerating I grab the stick and got o downshift to third to let them know my displeasure with my headers I am loud.

And that's when the " Money Shift" happened, I must have hit first as I usually walk over third in regular driving and third it did not want to go into and in that flash of time......I suddenly shot up in the revs and everyone knew my car was pissed, I had to hole shot past the econobox in the little space and shot down the middle lane which was wide open for miles ahead thanks to the turd clogging the freeway like Mentos from a diet coke.

Needless to say both myself and my wife were scared, and I was saying WTYF was that and then by that time I could up shift we were safe and swearing....
And so we just took it easy the rest of the drive home, And every time I thought about it after praying for my engine to be o.k. I would say F ..... and my wife would say Sh.. And so I kind of wanted to be able to forget about it .

Sure I was pressing the brake at the same time, and am not into missing shifts but this happened in the blink of a eye and I had to brake , judge distance, hunt for third and not hit fifth again, watch the guy on my right to make sure he was not coming over and ...no he wanted no part of me as he knew I was behind him, it was the econobox that did not know I was there as I did not know he was there before I went to pass.

I think looking back the econobox must have thought my engine noise maybe was coming from the van behind him he had held up for like 10-15 miles, and he wanted to get out of its way by shifting to be a turd in the lane in front of me..... Not my lucky day. Nor was the day the engine went tink..I woke up late and thought it was early, and went to work late the first time ever, my work truck stalled in busy five lane road, and just everything went wrong that day, right up to pushing the car the block home after "Tink".

I do not need ribbing, haters are everywhere and I already told this story on C5. I work with big egos and mine is the nicest of about ten friggin Camaros now after I bought mine at the Place I work in corrections... The Pen.
IN Hind sight , I wish I had tore down the top end to see that many of my pushrods were slightly bent, and changed out them and the springs as they were at what ever rev I could not know as I was busy loosing traction with stabbilitrac codes as I hit the gear and was doing about five things at once.

SO that's my story, Over rev too bad and four months later "Tink", the misfiring with the #2 intake was likely due to the one spring being broke and the engine running off of one and as they were .675 springs they were as I was told now by TSP more prone to breakage than the more popular .650 spring from milder cams and sold like 1 to 20 less than the .650 which only had 2 springs break the guy had heard of working there that are .650 yet a lot more of the .675......

Yah makes you wonder WTF, no disclaimer here when selecting the cam and going top of the line..... Sure I over revved and the springs lasted months, but its also being so powerful masked the signs, and gave no clue until the bitter end, and Crap my heart sank . I got crap from every wanker at work who envied my car.

SO I need no smart Alec remarks as in Alec Baldwin..lol I am the one who had to explain this to my wife and every one, tear down the top end of the engine. And every thing else to get it ready for a new engine, get a loan and up my credit card to be able to buy a new engine, and spend weeks researching online the parts and all things related to our engines failures and missed shifts etc etc etc....

And I was going to go mild on a new cam, and mine I do not think is hurt from what I could see as I use driven LS30 and broke it in with Br30. I was thinking initially a 525 h.p. crate motor ls3 with the ASA cam with its low .525/.525 lift and long duration but tight 110 LSA to get it there with a little better than stock springs....( yes it has less lift than the stock .50/.551 cam our engines come with but our stock cams are like 119 lsa and low duration turds for mileage). I looked at the 480 h.p. hot cam crate, I Searched all over and looked on ebay, and amazon, lingenfelter, livernois, thompsons, etc etc etc.

What I went with I will put in my next post as this one is way too long..... LOL

And of course this would be worthless without pics.

I am a humbled man, and this car is my best ever so yes its especially humbling, I know however the people here on modern Camaro are nice.
SO I have to share the knowledge that yes one big over rev and months down the road it can hurt you. I figure the spring was stressed and the little difference in the pushrods from their slight bend was really a factor over time with the spring being weakened and the 7.425 pushrods,( I always thought were 7.375 my builder insisted I get at first were the size I had) were so very quiet and the engine made no valve train noise as it was done just right.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 05-28-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Tough loss, bro.

Just think..you'll be lovin' it when you've got it all built back up bigger and better and back on the road.

As far as the haters go? Ignore 'em. They're haters because they're not you.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

SO after that novel here is some of the articles I read just for interested parties:
Junkyard LS Engine Builds: Going From Rags To Riches - Chevy Hardcore

LS Engine Trouble Information

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w..._2010)_BBS.pdf

Directory Listing of /camaro2010/werkstatthandbuch/

cylinder head removal ls3 engine - Xfinity.com Search

And that's just a slice of life I will never get back......LOL

SO my build: I went for durability and went torque and aftermarket not crate as they came with lots of parts I would have to sell I did not need. I found the best price I could for the stroker I eventually was going to turn my motor into.... From this guy named Jerry on ebay at get this SAG performance.... what the sag stand for IDK, but he is a machinist for custom engine supply part of this SAG performance group.

I went off these and talking with him. :

GM LS3 Short Block 415 Cube Stroker All Forged Choose Compression Ratio | eBay

And wow the price was like $4500 when I got one as I went larger stroke for a 428 for that price. funny how when a business gets real busy the price goes up.... Anyway, the pistons are top of the line.. I checked and had to pay extra to expedite them from Cal as the former owner of JE piston the largest maker of pistons in the world apparently retired and then got bored and then made a new business in the sun making pistons in Cal.....
The crank and rods being Molnar was like WTF....a old motor head like me knows other names they call them when others "rebrand" them and call them their own like Callies, wiseco-k1, Lunati..etc so they are GTG.

SO I got a good deal on the short block for about $4950 including the expedite with shipping.

The heads.... Oh yes , GMPP ported heads form Summit racing could not be beat for price or flow or having hollow intake valves too.. for $1200 no core they blew the prices and flow away for all the competition big time.... And believe me I checked:
https://www.facebook.com/sagperforma...=page_internal
custom_engine_supply | eBay
Ls3 Stroker - Price Comparison, test reports and product ratings on XXL-Sale.com. Find the best prices now!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...8758/overview/

SO with the short block and heads picked out, I had to find a windage tray that would fit a 428, so I had to go to Mast Motorsports as they are so good with theirs for $80.

Mast LS Full Length Stroker Windage Tray €“ Mast Motorsports

I have my builder, TommyWong of (wongs performance engineering) supplying the stock g.m. gaskets, the Katech c5r chain, the ported high volume pump, and the pushrods after checking the engine as he stocks those except for pushrods which are like everywhere, and he stock the new head bolts too which g.m.'s are toque to yield so like the harmonic balancer bolt I just bought.. are trash after one time use.

I did get my choice after lots of searching to go with the MGW short throw and Monsters dual c-7 modded clutch and flywheel for $1000 along with a speed bleeder and the needed throwout billet bearing support by monster our transmissions need....(plastic ones suck and melt when its too hot).

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/camaros/94

And good god there are so many choices It took me forever to come up with this one and think its about the best for my daily driving monster...
LT1-S Twin Disc GEN5 Package - Rated at 700 RWHP/RWTQ

I bought it through Maryland speed except for the bearing support as Maryland speed has free shipping and no Texas tax.....

For the cam I went with Cam Motion, its stage three its not too radical yet makes good power and is good with .650 springs and is made from a 8620 core the hardest best core out there. They speced me out one with a little extra on the intake lobe:
610-578 223/234 114 lsa which should be much more drivable than my last cam.
And it was about $700 with springs.

6.2 LS3 (376c.i.) 10.7 compression 08-11 Vettes and Camaros

I went with LS7 lifter from ebay pt# 12499225 $95.00

For rockers I could have redone mine, but I trashed two and bought two just for safety and the price on this: LS3 Rocker Arms with Comp Cams Trunion Kit Installed L99 L76 L92 LS9 LSA | eBay

Well it was like paying someone to do the trunnion upgrade for you for cheap and not having to buy the kit at $130 and then the tool too .... see, and the summit kit for trunnions was out of stock, so...for 300-100 core= 200-trunnion kit130=70-tool40=30
Its cheap to upgrade this way and have better trunnions done already. Sure the rockers in the kit are used but so are mine.. and just new stock rockers are $180 if you can find the kit and well I was going to go ultra pro magnum roller rockers but was talked out of it and well I decided to go on the trunnion upgrade on my own just form having read so many posts on people and trunnions though ours are supposed to be o.k. as the real problem with them was the first year of the LS7....

And the main parts I went with and along with fluids and two rounds of Driven br30 break in oil with filters, and the drop and install I should be about ten grand into getting the engine I was not planning on having to do for many years.....

Good Luck to you all, I will be finishing my rear end build with nest year tax returns and that's will help...... I will of course post the dyno results for this next month after its tuned after the engine gets drop shipped and I tow my car 50 miles...... I imagine north of 600 h.p. and 550 torque to the wheels I hope. A lot more than my old 491/448, thought I was really hoping the dang airforce intake would come out like yesterday.... And well I am going to be paying this off for Five years or more so ...lots of ramen... I do expect the compression to be about stock as the flat top with relief pistons would net 11:1 on stock heads, but my ported heads gained to 76 cc from stock 68.... Anyway easy on the timing and knock retard that way, yet all the porting is not affecting the compression ratio as its in the valves open area not the combustion chamber.

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 05-28-2015 at 06:16 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

And thank you Patriot, I always wanted to find some good Red white and blue flag them for the Camaro my wife and me are both army vets.

post #5 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM

So you new you were in a long line of traffic and decided to pass everyone even if it meant driving on the shoulder?
post #6 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
And thank you Patriot, I always wanted to find some good Red white and blue flag them for the Camaro my wife and me are both army vets.
There are some nice, subtle vinyl flags out there.

I'm ex-Army too....

You never stop serving.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Sorry my friend, pictures says it all. Your doing the best research and will be better than before, keep us informed!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #8 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM
ユキヒョウ

Ouch......sad just thinking about all the carnage....But sounds like you've got an awesome replacement on the way and the Camaro will be all better again.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 05-25-2015 at 06:52 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Man, I'm glad you know what to do ... I'd be so lost .... glad you have it covered and good luck (also glad you have a tax return)

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #10 of 22 Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
There are some nice, subtle vinyl flags out there.

I'm ex-Army too....

You never stop serving.

Oh yes you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page