Engine Shuts Down While Driving - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Engine Shuts Down While Driving

Let me begin by saying that I am making this post on behalf of my 79 year old father who just purchased a new Camaro. I assume it is a 2015 and he indicated it is a 6 cyl. motor and an automatic. While I do not own a Camaro I'm not new to forums and am seeking your assistance. The car is brand new! On two separate occasions while driving the car in traffic the engine shuts down abruptly. My father put the transmission in neutral and restarted the car so no accidents . . . yet. He is so spooked by these incidents that he called the dealer to come pick up the car. He is currently negotiating the return of the car with the dealer and GM. I did a very brief search and do not see any threads discussing this issue but honestly have not spent much time searching. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening with this car? My father did say that it happened when we had a heat wave last week here in Las Vegas where the temperatures hit 115 degrees. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

2015 Camaro LS 2 door coupe 6 cyl auto
post #3 of 16 Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 PM

Garage
**** that is not good at all! it gets hot here in FL but I never had that kinda problem just a slower the normal start. hopefully everything works out, let us know what the dealership says!

Money, Speed, Gym; That's life!
BIG RED2013 RS
Current Mods:
K&N Typhoon Intake
Diode Dynamics Interior Lighting RED

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Dealer should be able to diagnose it as the codes generated will be stored telling the tech what happened.

This is not a usual occurrence, in fact first time I have heard of this, and I work on these daily.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-11-2015, 04:42 AM

so SC2150 - if you work on these daily - what is the most common issue with most of the new Camaro's ?
post #6 of 16 Old 07-11-2015, 06:29 AM

I have heard of this before on camaro5 and it does not necessarily store a code from what I recall reading, and may be something to do with the evaporative system. repeated failures of the cars engine to remain running to be able to use the Lemon law in various states it has to be documented with how ever many times and usually its multiple time to attempting to FIX a problem before they take a car back. Good Luck. I would research posts online of such happening..........

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #7 of 16 Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

This sounds a little bit like the key bump problem, but being this is a 15 I doubt you have a switchblade key

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #8 of 16 Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

If the car is brand new you are wasting your time posting here. Take it to the dealer and have them look at it.. That's what warranties are for.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-13-2015, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Dealer should be able to diagnose it as the codes generated will be stored telling the tech what happened.

This is not a usual occurrence, in fact first time I have heard of this, and I work on these daily.
According to the dealer, no codes.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranknBeans View Post
If the car is brand new you are wasting your time posting here. Take it to the dealer and have them look at it.. That's what warranties are for.
Car is with the dealer. They have been driving it but have not identified the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page