14294 Ignition Key Recall Caused Crash - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-27-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile

Hello Camaro Owners,

Last edited by rangomr; 10-24-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: too much bs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 AM

Sorry for your loss. Did your Camaro Vert have electric power steering or was it pump driven by the engine? How fast were you going? Was the wheel extremely hard to turn after power was cut off? Way more difficult than manual steering car? (had a Ford Maverick with manual steering and wondering how it comapres to that).

I'm thinking of cutting off the power on purpose on a straight vacant road at relatively low speed to see how difficult the steering is on my SS after losing the electric power assist.

The 2016 Camaro Convertible is a real sharp looking car, if it was me I would check that out (if you can hold off on a perm replacement that long).
Ron

2014 2SS/RS, Factory installed ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter and NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust. Z28 strut tower brace, ZL1 splash guards,
Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Support MC & Troops

Sorry to hear !, If its your steering, that went out... its not for the key recall, the key recall, all they do is replace the key & remove the one off the fob, several people said thats all their dealers did, you may want to find out, the details from GM.. all thats done on the key recall !!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Getting way pumped up ..LOL(Never giving up !)

The all new Convertible (Born 1/11/11) !, Welcome to the Fleet !
SHADOW 2013 GBA 2SS/RS A6 Vert (2/13/14)
"FROST 2011 SIM LT1 A6 " FIRST VERT MOTM AUGUST 2013
*PROTESTING GM*
"GIVE ME MY13'IBM ZL1 vert GM!"

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
So is it the key shutting off the failure, or you reaching into the back seat while driving and your knee coming up and hitting the key to turn it off? Sucks that you crashed for sure, glad you are okay, but I think sometimes GM gets a bad rap for things happening that really are not their fault for normal operation of a vehicle, just like all the cobalts and hhr's that they recalled and put new ignition switches in cause they would turn off with a key that would sway back and forth.. is that gm's fault or the customer because they have 2 pounds worth of keys and keychains attached to their ignition key.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd 426hp
December 2013 Member of the Month
post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Garage
glad you are ok, get that back fixed.

2011 Early Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood and side skirts, belly pan, carbon fiber extractor, ZL1 wheels, K&N cai, Elite catch can, Big Worm Black/Red Bowties, Vitesse TC
post #6 of 18 Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 AM
ユキヒョウ

Sorry for your loss, but glad you're ok, and a car is replaceable.....

For the recall all that's done is the key is removed from the fob and attach the key to the fob with a key ring, which makes the fob dangle even lower, and IMHO even easier to turn the key off while driving. As mentioned in a earlier post, most people have a ton of crap attached to their car keys which resulted in those issues, and Chevy issuing a fix. Not sure if you had it done that it would've mattered with you reaching in the back for the water bottle. Cooler should've been up front within easy reach, or pulled over to get the water.

Had a class through work and one of the presenters was a NC State Trooper a month ago, and distracted driving is becoming a very real problem. When you're driving, all you need to do is be driving and paying attention. Think that's the reason for the latest commercial from Chevy on how easy it is to get distracted. Doubt there's cause for a lawsuit.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 08-30-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rangomr, sorry to hear bout it and glad you are okay. How many recall notices have you received? I've gotten ton. I think Chevy would point that out and you would be out of luck.

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #8 of 18 Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Don't blame the car.

Count it as a lesson learned. When you're behind the wheel, DRIVE. Don't dig around in the back seat.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 AM

I have an R6P 2009 early edition low numbered 2010 1SS. I will not get the key recall. I am 6 feet tall and my knee comes nowhere near the key. I do not have any crap dangling from my fob. My problem with the fob was unintended trunk openings. Someone on the site here suggested keeping the key in my watch pocket which I now do, problem solved. I have the same key system on my Buick Regal with the same problem. I NEVER have dangling crap on any of my car or motorcycle keys period. I can't stand the rattling or the scratches. Even with my foot off of the accelerator, with the cruise control on, my knee is nowhere near the key. The ambulance chasing lawyers invent a lot of this mis-information to win their lawsuits.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Garage
...so now it's a wasp?

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page