New 428 stoker ls3 stripes, mgw shifter,monster clutch, gmppheads, etc etc - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

New 428 stoker ls3 stripes, mgw shifter,monster clutch, gmppheads, etc etc

new engine, clutch , shifter, flame stripes, obd2 shiftlight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there I have and Mr.Wong of Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver have been busy. I just finished a few final touches enough to scramble and take some pics and video yesterday. The car has been dyno tuned yet needs tweaking to the tune some as the initial break in was on a dyno yet you cannot rev that high and get dyno readings WOT on a new engine, and has to have the engine broken in further to do it so I have.
The engine is on its second round of driven BR30 racing oil. It is a 428 ls3 stroker, all forged and balanced, mast windage tray that still had to be modded for the oil pump house further, katech c5r timing chain, ls2 dogbone dampener, fluidampr 25% UDP balancer, GMPP oil pump high flow, and GMPP ported heads. It has a comp trunion upgrade and 7.4 pushrods as the stage 3 cam from cam motion + a little spec only required that from its base circle as the cam is mellower than my last yet still pretty rowdy and the torque curve is I am sure beautiful as I feel it.

The SS has dual mode, electric power steering, stainless power headers, and CAI with scoop, and a VMAX PTB, and Granatelli wires. I had fun butching up the ebay coil covers to cover it with about 6 hacks with a jigsaw to each making holes to make it so hoses and such could work and the stupid things could go in....Not a recommended thing: The 100$ coil covers are apparently meant for someone who aftermarkets one into a oold car with no AC/heater hoses right by it and etc... And also had to chop off part of the oil fill tube as they built it up like there was no coil mount where it bolted down, general a real PITA and I started it with a air dremel and went to jigsaw as a WTF.... They will be replaced.....lol someday when my wallet is not on fire... lol

Car drives great, the speedhut odb2 shift light is kind of fun to have I have it set low as I am not revving high as I am breaking it in. The car definitely feels great, I accidentally burnt rubber from a stop light with it and it was strong....lol SO this engine replaces my mechanical over rev dropped valve engine and if I was going to do it I wanted it done right.

The cam motion 8620 core with .650 springs is what I chose, the cam stage three "off the Shelf" cam is 223/234 with .603 ( I added .010 for .613), and 578 exhaust and a 114+4 LSA and its definitely a nice driver cam, yet still has the cam surge factor the tight 112 LSA cam has some....

Not that it ever bothered me, yet I wanted a more drivetrain friendly wider torque curve cam and did not want to go real higher than say a .620/.620 or so unlike my last cam and its .675 springs. I can feel it rock and roll at stop lights still and its awesome the best of all worlds, gobs of torque and cammed engine sound or muffled with my Forza three way switch now, and the remote seems to work better than the mild to wilds did.

SO here are some pics of the new ACC stripes and just stuff...... And a video with something in my mouth with a idle clip after my wife cracked me up buggin me in her piggy slippers...... The video has a nice talking finger in it too...... Have a great day everyone!! And yes the monster lt1s clutch feels a lot like stock because it is a modified stack height type of rework of a zl1 clutch I believe with though 700 rwhp capacity and it worked with my stock slave!!!!! I did get the billet bearing support though as I have seen the carnage the plastic stocker causes on here... thank god for preemptive maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=u6NEyQbdnb4

Well Heck the pictures resized but their link did not work///// ok I got it work..lol

BTW I am selling a good ls3 head with springs that need changed out 150ish and comes with another head, and a good TSP 10k cam 235/239 with .639/.623/ 112 LSA for $100 with shipping

2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body/scanner LED, DRL rewire, Custom badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I painted the intake cover with Rustoleum outdoor grill paint I bought at home depot along with the fuse box and the pulley fronts to the water pump. The LED scanner bar has already cracked out all along the front in less than a years time and I may just return it under warranty..? Its my second scanner bar and the first was molded in the shape and different some but it too developed water intrusion and degradation of the clear plastic covering.... Make me want to go back to stock as far as they are concerned.

Programming the shift light was not too hard just had to figure out to get it to the right sections of programming, and do a run in all gears for it to learn the gear ratios then set them up. The MGW shifter is great, with real positive shifts and a strong return spring to the 3-4 gate and looks better.

Comments are always welcome, I know taste is subjective and this is what I liked the best N/A stroked and forged, with all the supporting goodies, I still have more suspension /rear end work to be done. My wife thinks I should get the ACC side stripes too, I think it may be a little too much, but hey she likes it, so maybe someday they are a future mod.... What do you all think about the stripes?
Here is a pic of the stripes on the side I may get?

http://americancarcraft.com/images/M62948325

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 09-26-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Looks awesome IMO, you have done a great job bringing it back to life. Just wish I were close enough to take a ride in it.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 14 Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you its driving great I went back and had the tune adjusted for more throttle on decel /coasting and its nice to notice the torque difference down low as I have not even gone over 4000 ish rpms yet breaking it in. It has burnt a little rubber if I go too high on launch with traction control on when it would not with my last engine and cam, and I can imagine a set of 3.91s would only make that stronger. I am talking like 2200+rpms as its idle is 950ish and the norm is to go to 1500 to avoid cam surge. Torque management was dealt with long ago in my tune.... SO I put a couple hundred miles on it and am waiting to drain the br30 driven racing break in oil out at 500 miles, and then take it fairly easy for 1000 miles....... Well I am going to modify the coil covers more today, do this that and the other thing... lol Have a great day

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

post #4 of 14 Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Garage

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #5 of 14 Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Woww...looks great...!!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/monzaruba/foto3_zps6fbde664.jpg
A Camaro you steer with the rear wheels...!
post #6 of 14 Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I just got a coat of wax on the stripes first time ever I have intentionally done that with vinyl>>>These stripes are clear and shiny and meant to be waxed and Its nice. Best stripes I ever have had and I tried a few..lol And the Torque I feel is good along with the clutch feel And wonder what it will dyno at some day. I have to get a bunch of miles on it before dyno tune like 2000 so the engine is well broken in before doing a bunch of WOT pulls. And the new shifter makes it virtually never missing a shift. And my shift light lets me know to keep the revs down for now. I am enjoying the heck out of having my car back up with the new engine.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Wow! CC, that's one HELL of a ride! Too bad I'm on the right coast. I'd like to see it in person and hoist a few with you to discuss it.

Truly a great job.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Looks great! What kind of numbers are you putting down?

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I do not know the numbers yet I have to wait to dyno tune and go WOT as I am still breaking in the engine. I went conservative enough on the cam with a wider LSA and not too much lift to get what I hope is a nice wide torque curve with lots of torque down low.
I am at 114+4 LSA yet it still has to be revved up to around the 1500ish area to avoid cam surge and the specs are .613 /.578 223 234 with a up to 950 rpm idle range. It feels almost like my last cam a .639/.623 with 235/239 and 112 lsa yet the engine does sound a little stouter I have been told when coworkers heard my exhaust when I drive away from work. And I can feel the torque difference easy enough...lol Like go a little too high 2000 rpm or higher spinning both wheels for a big chirping on take off with TC on. SO I am realistic, I went smaller .650 lift springs and smaller cam to make it more drivable and easy on the valve train more and expect to drop 20 h.p. top end from my old dyno 491 h.p. a 448 trq. I plan on the size adding torque to bring that torque up and above 500 RWTQ + And plan on the new ported g.m. heads, the larger displacement and the mild bump in compression to 11:1, the Vmax throttle body, the 25% UDP and a good tune for it to bring it above the 500 rwhp from my old 491 TSP cammed 376.

I Know I could have gone big, but I know that it is torque that moves a heavy old car and it still has not changed. That's why I could have saved a ton on not going forged stroker but it just would not be the same. SO yes a couple thousand miles and I will get it broken in well and then I get tuned, and the great news is its running like a champ with its initial tune as broken in on the dyno. I feel anything above 500 h.p. and 500 torque is gravy. And to compare online with other engines is hard as they are usually different , or on engine dynos etc. I have went with wider LSA to say: torque matters above high HP numbers, and I can feel it in the seat of my pants. I just cant wait to be able to flog it... LOl I have my shift light set to 3500 ..lol I am trying to stay down low for now. Break in is crucial, and about 100 miles until I dump its second round of Driven BR30 break in oil. Dang makes me just want to go drive all the time........... And having a engine I could Spray in the future its built so well is nice if I ever want to go nuts once in a while and maybe hit the track.

Last edited by christianchevelle; 10-04-2015 at 09:09 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Well good morning to you all, driving is going great hope you all are happy in this little corner of our world, I have been shifting more in the 4000 plus range now with 650 mile son it and things are great and I love my MGW shifter!!!! I cant wait to dyno it but I know driving around aimlessly is stupid.... SO I make excuses to run to the store and stuff and know we all may do that now and then because of our Camaros.....lol Share a favorite excuse to drive if you will.........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page