Blasting a tailgater - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Blasting a tailgater

SO yesterday driving home I come to big intersection 5 lanes versus 5 lanes the usual, stay in left lane, wait for light to get over to the right after passing though the intersection,( as most going straight take a right on the next light ).

And here comes young dummy in his little pick up changing lanes through the intersection illegally and wanting to ride my ass..... SO I do what I do with headers and loud exhaust: I slip in the clutch and let out about a 4000 rpm sound wave to say back off! , ( I am still breaking in my new engine), then let the clutch in and accelerate rapidly for a second.

It was very effective, the truck just hung back and stayed back which is good. I slipped my D.O.C. hat on so the youngster could see in my rear view. And 1 mile left to get home. And still there are two more bad drivers to face with their bad maneuvers, one taking up two lanes, another doing what ever.

Its a constant battle to watch out for bad drivers some times. I am just driving smoothly as I can and avoiding the wankers as it happens some days it feels like so much more than others. I sure notice the wankers more often now when having had to do what I have had to from being cut off and over revving and replacing my engine eventually thanks to dang ignorance.

I really like my new MGW shifter and never miss a shift now and that's insurance I wish I would have had.

I wonder what tricks you all may know to avoid or warn idiots that think they own the road?

And wonder what daily situations you all have to face as this thread the bad driving thread could go on forever...lol One of my favorite things used to be a small rolling burn out to make people back off with my old Chevelle, nothing like getting a little fishy to send a message that: hey I will get crazy if you try to mess with me I will..F you up..... LOL

SO I know brake checking, I know lots of things mostly getting the hell away from bad drivers. Please everyone share your bad driver avoidance, and situations your facing: enlighten us with the mass that think getting there .005 seconds quicker will somehow make killing everyone else worth it..... As we know our cars are fast and can handle....

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....

Last edited by christianchevelle; 10-15-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 01:05 PM

So revving your engine in the Camaro means back off ? I was following some guy a couple of months ago on my GSXR and he did that and I started laughing inside my Helmet . I was about 2 car lengths behind him in a 35 mph zone with him doing 30 . I just figured he was a jerk in a SS.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post
SO yesterday driving home I come to big intersection 5 lanes versus 5 lanes the usual, stay in left lane, wait for light to get over to the right after passing though the intersection,( as most going straight take a right on the next light ).

And here comes young dummy in his little pick up changing lanes through the intersection illegally and wanting to ride my ass..... SO I do what I do with headers and loud exhaust: I slip in the clutch and let out about a 4000 rpm sound wave to say back off! , ( I am still breaking in my new engine), then let the clutch in and accelerate rapidly for a second.

It was very effective, the truck just hung back and stayed back which is good. I slipped my D.O.C. hat on so the youngster could see in my rear view. And 1 mile left to get home. And still there are two more bad drivers to face with their bad maneuvers, one taking up two lanes, another doing what ever.

Its a constant battle to watch out for bad drivers some times. I am just driving smoothly as I can and avoiding the wankers as it happens some days it feels like so much more than others. I sure notice the wankers more often now when having had to do what I have had to from being cut off and over revving and replacing my engine eventually thanks to dang ignorance.

I really like my new MGW shifter and never miss a shift now and that's insurance I wish I would have had.

I wonder what tricks you all may know to avoid or warn idiots that think they own the road?

And wonder what daily situations you all have to face as this thread the bad driving thread could go on forever...lol One of my favorite things used to be a small rolling burn out to make people back off with my old Chevelle, nothing like getting a little fishy to send a message that: hey I will get crazy if you try to mess with me I will..F you up..... LOL

SO I know brake checking, I know lots of things mostly getting the hell away from bad drivers. Please everyone share your bad driver avoidance, and situations your facing: enlighten us with the mass that think getting there .005 seconds quicker will somehow make killing everyone else worth it..... As we know our cars are fast and can handle....
So, in answer to your question ... tailgaters ... my thoughts vary by situation, of course ...

I drive in the left lane almost all the time ... mostly two lane US highway though on a two lane Interstate, I would do the same thing ... three lane or four lane Interstate, left lane or second in from the left, for the most part

1) I try to watch out the back, but with my louvers, sometimes people do sneak up on me ... my first option is to move over for faster traffic I see, but if someone gets up behind me and I hadn't noticed, I tend to try to move over rather quickly (since I am then assuming I am in the wrong and should have moved over)

2) If I see someone coming up behind me, as in I see them coming, evaluate the situation, and decide I have as much right to my position as they do (i.e. I am not the hold up), I won't move. If they insist on getting even closer up behind me and being an @ss, I tend to slow down but not enough that they can get around me on the right, yes I can be an @ss too.

3) If someone is just general tailgating in traffic (i.e. its pretty heavy traffic and both lanes are moving equally), I guess I also tend to slow down, but there is a chance I will move over. Probably I would be less inclined to act like I did in situation 2.

4) If I am in the right lane and someone decides to tailgate, I might make a sharp to the left and as they go by, a sharp to the right.

5) I guess I don't tend to much in the way of aggressive moves, just because as soon as I do, that will be when the LEO sees me.

6) If I see someone coming and I am turning left, I just tend to turn my blinker on for a llllooooonnnnnggggg time to encourage them to get off my butt

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

LOL no I don't just randomly rev to try to be cool...lol I do occasionally when I drive in a underpass just for me...lol MY car is loud as any old chevy I ever owned and I owned a lot all with headers eventually and full engine builds by me too..lol

I also have a three way switch and can stay quieter a lot. Yes I do look for idiots coming up behind me on a freeway, this other situation happened on a street with a curve that is about 2 1/2 city blocks long and its 35 and I figure someone is tailgating when you can see the food in their teeth.. I don't like LEO's either and I work for corrections and I just mainly try to avoid trouble too as its the smartest thing to do, yet some people will target another faster car.

Yesterday I was driving my work truck and watched a 45 mph a little older 80- ish square back Honda wagon thing with small ladder strapped to the roof rack and tires at about 9000% canter and a crap rattle can flat black paint job with a fart can..... He drove aggressively, and jumped passing illegally with black smoke billowing like a diesel the POS and the loud fart can sound...priceless. I am sure I could have blown his doors off in my 88 dodge ram truck dent mobile with bed rack...lol

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevelle View Post

I have about a million stories.

But first let me point out that it is not .005 seconds. It is 44 feet/second at 30MPH. So if Mr. Dickhead makes a car length at 30-35MPH he just gained one second. If he does sixty of these during the day his total is one minute.

Then he will push past you on the way into the store, stop just inside the door to make a phone call so everyone else in the world has to shuffle around his ass. Then he feels important because now he can buy his wife the right shampoo.

I will admit that the older I get the more I am willing to let the morons pass.
But sometimes...

Since my back is still hurting my son has been using the Camaro to run errands. Monday I asked him to take me to the doctor, an 8:30A, so traffic was light.

As we are tooling along ... Road the jerk behind us decides that the three car lengths Craig had in front of him was too much so he passes and cuts back in. We both take the Ralph onto Old McHenry. I encourage C to pass before the road narrows to 2 lanes but there is a raccoon carcass in the right lane so I tell C to back off.

The road widens to four lanes, Craig goes into the right lane, Mr. I HaveToBeAheadOfYou stays in the left. We hit a stop signal at a side street and I encourage Craig, "whack it.

The light turns green. Craig hammers the throttle and drops the clutch. Dumps me back in the seat and leaves this awesome scream from the rears for about 8 feet, winds it up to the 35 limit and the idiot is now about 8 lengths behind us. C dumps it into 4th and cruises. The *%#@ never did catch up.

Made me proud!
post #6 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Well good for you I know I was cut off today in my work truck by a real idiot...... lol

Just had to cut into the 1 car space in front of me right after a light from a photo ticket intersection from a side street because he was waiting a little bit, ( I had four cars that had just cleared the intersection on a short light behind me and one in front), Man it pissed me off **** reckless endangering.

post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 PM

Wildlife

So for a bit of levity. Because it is the weekend.

I stop for fuel and a coffee as I am getting near the site. I am in my work truck.
I notice a woman in an Explorer.
She leaves as I go in to pay. I pull out. I stay in the right lane on a 4-lane. The car in front of me stops. The red Explorer.
Now, I have a brain and think they stopped for some reason. Maybe geese are crossing the road. So I wait for what seems like forever, don't see any geese. So I start around and what do I see? A baby skunk with his nose stuck in a 2 liter Coke bottle. He is battling it out, back and forth, dragging and pushing it all over the pavement. Anything to get out of his predicament. I stopped for a bit and watched. Sorry, no video as this was before cell phones. I thought about helping the little bugger out but I didn't have a change of clothes.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Rofl that's a good one.......

post #9 of 17 Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM

I have zero patience for a$$ wipe drivers. Sorry ladies, but I find about 60% of them are twenty-something young women on their cell phones, talking or texting. Yesterday as I was leaving work I'm on a jam-packed single lane road leading to the freeway. At a stop light where quitting-time traffic from an industrial park enters, the road changes to two lanes, and both lanes are usually full back to, and often blocking, the intersection. At that stop light there is a left turn only lane for vehicles to enter that industrial park, but NOT to go straight ahead. I waited until I cleared the intersection and signaled to get into the left lane. I figured since I was the first in line in the right lane there would be no one on my left. Luckily, I checked my mirror only to see some twenty-something bimbo on her cell phone driving her pearl white SUV in the left lane. In essence, she made an illegal lane change by going straight ahead from the turn lane in order to pass everyone else in the right lane. She clearly had the "Me first!" attitude too many drivers today have.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-21-2016, 03:21 PM

The Camaro is not really equipped to properly deal with tailgaiters. Over 40 years of driving without a speeding ticket and I'm not looking to get one in my Rally striped air-damed Camaro "cop magnet" while trying to deal with some idiot tailgaiter.

But those stupid enough to do it when I'm in my Z71Avalanche with full mud flaps protecting my paint and extended triple-ball trailer hitch to cover my rear are quickly educated. No speeding, just keep the limit, shift to 4WD, toe the wheels to the solid line and treat them to a cloud of sand, rocks, road debris and whatever crap is lining the side of the road...... and the few that are too stupid to pass or back off get treated to miles of free sand/rock blasting of their hood, headlamps and windshield.

Another passive-aggressive favorite when someone is riding your tail and blind to the road ahead is to head directly for any piece of road debris or pot hole and swerve at the very last second leading the blinded idiot to take the hit or slam into the hole. Also fun to do it even if there is no debris or hole and watch as the blinded jerk instinctively swerves to avoid what he thinks might be there.
darkangel likes this.

Current Chevys - '15 Camaro LS '16 Silverado LT Z71; '16 new Malibu LT; '15 Traverse LT2
Previous Chevys: '13 Avalanche; '12 Avalanche LT; '11 Tahoe LT; '11 Malibu LS; '08 Trailblazer; '07 Avalanche; '06 Colorado WT....'80 Citation (POS); '75 Impala; 72 Chevelle; '69 Camaro R/T; '65 Impala SS; '62 Nova; '53 model 210

Last edited by Thomcat; 01-21-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page