who has a faraday bag? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

View Poll Results: whos got a faraday bag?
yes have one.... 2 16.67%
no, and interested in them though... 0 0%
no , dont care 3 25.00%
no 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

who has a faraday bag?

8"w x 8"L Small Faraday EMP Bag | eBay

My wife actually purchased us a couple bags to store our keys in at night so thieves with signal boosters cannot steal our cars by boosting the FOBs signal up to 50 feet or more away opening the doors...

Seems like a good idea especially in SO CAL.... And I get the comfort of knowing in a EMP from a nuke my FOB might survive.....an original switchblade...lol SO wondering how many others do this...?

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

Don't have one. They would first have to get into my garage. Doubt stealing my car would interest them after that.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Nowadays it seems anything goes, so you can't take too many precautions ... at my house I don't worry too much either ... long 500' driveway out in the middle of no where ... a dog and occasional bear prowling the property ... it would seem my laptop and Modern Camaro account would be more of a risk than my key fob (even though it is an original switchblade) .... but like I said, nowadays who knows

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Garage
...does a Faraday building count?
My garage. All steel, shielded windows, and grounded.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

yes solid steel enclosure for the keys or car would help.... I see on another site many do the menu option where they only allow the key to unlock their doors and disable the remote. Here are a couple articles

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...eves.html?_r=1

this second article is most disturbing also:

High-tech car thieves may be breaking in by amplifying key fob signal - CBS News

Something to think about, as my wife bought these after reading up her new car has push button start...... something many wished the Camaro had......

2013 2ss/rs NPP CRT, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, Mast windage, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Trunnion upgrade, Cam motion stage 3, SP headers, Vmax PTB, Monster c7 dual clutch, Mgw shifter, Fluidampr 25%UDP, CAI induction, rocket racing wheels, clutch reservoir, bmr toes and trailing arms, Lpw diff cover , scanner, drl's led /fogs, elite catch can, MRT louvers, tint, ZL1 spoiler, stripes & badging, etc....
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2015, 01:23 PM

If there is a menu option to disable remote unlock I can't find it and it is not described in the manual. The only option I see is to unlock one or both doors.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2015, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I think maybe its only available on the mylink plus years....? I just know I heard some people do it to avoid theft. Anyway just to test the thing I tried the remote from various distances with my keys in the bag, I had to put my hand in the bag and get within 10 feet to get my FOB to work , so I quess signal can escape that close, But otherwise it works and keeps our cars safer I hope.... Four bucks for a cheap security measure that keeps wife happy.... Priceless....lol

I have a option under the vehicle settings on the my link that shows I can turn off the door unlocking in the mylink menu that's not on the mylink online instructions manual and a bunch of other vehicle specific commands are not there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page