DECISION MAKING - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-30-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

DECISION MAKING

Would like some input from experienced motor heads-I have narrowed my search to the following:
2011 V6 6spd RS 35K miles

or
2011 2 SS 6Spd 10.5 miles

won't be a primary driver,and they are priced approx 6K apart-Which will be the best bang for the buck and most desireable /enjoyable to drive.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Garage
More enjoyable for me was the SS.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
Either would be enjoyable I would get the one with less miles and more power if the price was that close

2014 2LT/RS with spring edition package. Proud Litho Owner #28.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

if the $ per mile is not really an issue I'd have to agree with the others, go SS

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #5 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM

either is a fine choice, You should consider the insurance rates if you are under 30. sure, a $500 a year difference doesn't sound like much, but add in gas savings and after 5 years you're talking some real money. Plus interest on the extra $6k purchase price and the extra cost of tires on the v8, they can eat up tires much faster & they cost more with the bigger wheels.

On the flip side they say the SS will hold resale value better. I think that's nothing but a sales pitch myself.

Nothing wrong with performance on either one, I've only driven an SS a few times, they are scary fast & I doubt you'll never really use all that power. 315 horses is plenty for any occasion on the street.. But another nice thing about the SS is the better suspension & brembo brakes.

If you want something that is driveable in snow then you must go with the v6. The v8 is worthless/dangerous in snow.

Also, if you decide to go with the RS, then I would look for a 2012 because they added casted headers that year and that added 12 horse power, and the newer steering wheel and leather trim on the dash.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 12-31-2015 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

where in NY are you? you can buy mine I would say probably much better "bang for your buck".

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/cl...s-625rwhp.html

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
If you want something that is driveable in snow then you must go with the v6. The v8 is worthless/dangerous in snow.

Also, if you decide to go with the RS, then I would look for a 2012 because they added casted headers that year and that added 12 horse power, and the newer steering wheel and leather trim on the dash.
let's get the facts right so you don't confuse the guy. the reason the SS isn't great in the snow is the summer tires...put winter tires on there and they are fine...BUT if you get a V6 w/ RS package you also get those same summer tires, so they are dangerous in the snow too. AND, 2012+ the V6 is a different engine, not just "headers" (exhaust manifolds actually), and has nothing to do with the RS package (which is available on the SS as well).

for the OP...my .02...if it's not a daily driver I see no reason NOT to get an SS.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 01-03-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
let's get the facts right so you don't confuse the guy. the reason the SS isn't great in the snow is the summer tires...put winter tires on there and they are fine...BUT if you get a V6 w/ RS package you also get those same summer tires, so they are dangerous in the snow too. AND, 2012+ the V6 is a different engine, not just "headers" (exhaust manifolds actually), and has nothing to do with the RS package (which is available on the SS as well).

for the OP...my .02...if it's not a daily driver I see no reason NOT to get an SS.
I have doubts about this claim that an SS car is "fine" in snow, I used to have a 2001 trans am with the stock all season tires and that thing was completely worthless in the snow and was over 100 less horsepower than a stock SS today, I can't imagine different tires would make any difference, you literally could not get that car to the end of the street (which was slightly downhill) on a snowy road ,, even my current v6 is not even good in snow but can get around. I understand it's really a matter of gearing and vehicle weight but the SS has to have some aggressive gears in it which makes getting traction in snow hard. Maybe its a difference between automatic & manual shift?

I think it's really dumb the cars come from the factory with summer only tires. Maybe that would be fine on the SS since it's not at all a winter car, but it's just dumb on the v6. Did GM ever consider if someone bought a car in winter and then couldn't drive the dumb thing home cause it has summer only tires? And then what do you do? throw away 2 new back tires to put 2 new all season tires on?

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 01-03-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

You'd be surprised what a difference a set of 4 winter tires can make...even on an SS. Tough to compare it to a 4th gen in the snow, because now there's traction/stability control, ABS etc.... Not saying I'd want to drive mine in the snow, but people do it. A non-RS V6 shouldn't be too bad (comes with all-season tires at least).

I agree with you about summer tires. I think there should be more of a warning about them (from dealers). I lost count of all the forum & FB posts from people who have not idea that their summer tires come with warnings about not driving them in cold temps. But really, you spent all that $$ on the car, if you need to drive it in the winter, invest $1100 on a winter set of wheels/tires and be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
I have doubts about this claim that an SS car is "fine" in snow, I used to have a 2001 trans am with the stock all season tires and that thing was completely worthless in the snow and was over 100 less horsepower than a stock SS today, I can't imagine different tires would make any difference, you literally could not get that car to the end of the street (which was slightly downhill) on a snowy road ,, even my current v6 is not even good in snow but can get around. I understand it's really a matter of gearing and vehicle weight but the SS has to have some aggressive gears in it which makes getting traction in snow hard. Maybe its a difference between automatic & manual shift?

I think it's really dumb the cars come from the factory with summer only tires. Maybe that would be fine on the SS since it's not at all a winter car, but it's just dumb on the v6. Did GM ever consider if someone bought a car in winter and then couldn't drive the dumb thing home cause it has summer only tires? And then what do you do? throw away 2 new back tires to put 2 new all season tires on?

Quote:
post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

I can tell the difference in the summer tires in the cold, but I still drive it ... just not as much and I don't even consider driving it in the snow, but that's because I have a 4wd option ... that said, I'm putting Goodyear Eagles on it next

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page