L99 Muffler Information - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

L99 Muffler Information

I have a '15 2SS/RS L99 convertible. I'm replacing only the stock suitcase mufflers, to slightly improve sound & appearance, while keeping the same tips.
I'm not installing an axleback or catback system.

I don't know if the muffler needs to be 2.5", 2.25" or 3" in/out diameter & center/offset inlet/outlet. I haven't been able to find definitive information anywhere.

Flowmaster Super 44 Delta Flow Muffler

I hope someone will please post the information, as it could be helpful to others on the forum too. Thank you!

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 01-24-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM
ユキヒョウ

Believe stock pipes are 2.5" in and out. Not sure about the inlet/outlet positions you'll need for just an aftermarket muffler swap. I've seen axlebacks be center/center and offset/offset. Looks like it depends on where they mount the hangars

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 01-25-2016 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancygrl View Post
Believe stock pipes are 2.5" in and out. Not sure about the inlet/outlet positions you'll need for just an aftermarket muffler swap. I've seen axlebacks be center/center and offset/offset. Looks like it depends on where they mount the hangars
I truly appreciate your helpful response. I'm visiting a shop after work today for guidance on how to proceed.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

The Result

This follow-up comes after posting in this thread about replacing the mufflers. I the hope someone with the same question(s) that I had will find it useful.

After visiting a couple of reputable muffler shops, I learned that DEQ will only make an issue of mufflers not being installed, if the car sounds too loud during the biennial visits.

My concern with a muffler delete, is that I may not like sound of the AFM & I don't want to find out after the fact.

I also learned from the shops, that it isn't possible to simply swap the stock mufflers with aftermarket ones. There would be some modifications involved, which of course drive up the cost, to about $350 for Flowmaster Super 44 Delta Flows installed. This was confirmed by the good folks at Apex.

Another option is the Solo Axle Back with J-Pipes, which is about $650 installed.

Camaro Performance Exhaust System | Convertible Std & Auto Axle Back with J-Pipes 2011 - Present Camaro V8 Convertible | Performance Exhaust System

It's a nice system, but spending that much to improve sound, isn't a high priority right now.

The learning experience has given me great options to consider & I'll probably go with one of them at some point in the near future.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

good to know ... I've come to the same conclusion, why replace what works at this point

2012 2SS / RS CRT; Additional Options: Highwing Spoiler, Sunroof, Window Tint, Splash Guards, Wheels, Nitro, Heritage Grill, MRT Louvers, Ported Throttle Body, Cold Air Inductions CAI, RX Sport Hood, someone's splitter, River City Strut Bar
Born On: 13 April 2012; Purchased: 27 August 2012
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 AM
L99

You could always go with Chevy Bolt On from the dealer and pay $$ but it slips and fits no hassle or mod other than the cut and its made for it and won't be a warranty issue ever. Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99 View Post
You could always go with Chevy Bolt On from the dealer and pay $$ but it slips and fits no hassle or mod other than the cut and its made for it and won't be a warranty issue ever. Just my 2 cents.
I appreciate it but I believe it's quite overpriced.

Chevrolet Performance 92206992 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Aren't they all?

When I looked at the Corvette on Chevy's site the NPP officially adds 6 HP to the LS3. Not worth $900 in my books.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2016, 05:40 PM
L99

Totally agree gents. I am really considering forgetting about exhaust mods and intake and working on rear end gearing. The 3.91 gearing from Chevy performance is $450.00 not including install. It's supposed 20% calculated extra torque. The youtube vids I have found show that it makes the SS come alive. I am not so much a top end guy as I want more power coming out of corners and getting from apex to apex as fast as possible. If I put exhaust, intake etc.... its just not the same as raw torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page