Maintenance LT vs SS - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Maintenance LT vs SS

So I was wondering if maintenance costs differ much between having an LT with the LFX versus the SS with the V8. I know a lot depends on how well you maintain your vehicle, driving conditions depending on where you might live, and driving habits. Just wondering if one is substantially more which should probably be considered when deciding which to purchase. Any thoughts from you all?

2014 1LT BRM LFX - Volant CAI, VMAX Throttle Body, RX Catch Can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM

The V8 holds eight quarts of oil vs. 6.
Full synthetic on my V8 costs $75 vs. $40 for a V6 with Dexos.

Tires are more expensive on an LT/RS or an SS than a standard LT and they are summer only.

The Brembo brake pads may cost more than the V6 pads.

And, of course, you will need two more spark plugs when you need a tune-up
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 AM
ユキヒョウ

As stated in the above ^ post, IMHO those costs are negligible between the two because you don't go thru oil, tires, spark plugs, or brake pads on a weekly basis. But it's something to think about.

I've had both 5th Gen Camaros, but what you do go thru on a weekly basis is fuel. SS: premium gas.....LT: regular gas. I had a 2013 LFX. I could get 26-27mpg in the '13LFX and 22-24mpg in my '15SS, but it really isn't a big deal for me in the end. Mileage between the 2 totally depends on your right foot and the roads you drive on.

We do our own routine maintenance ourselves, so wasn't a deciding factor when I got back into my '15 SS. So to answer your question are the maintenance cost substantial between the LFX and SS cars? No, not in my opinion.

A cost that might be substantial, is your auto insurance.

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 01-30-2016 at 07:40 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 PM

big cost of ownership difference when it comes to gas, insurance (if your under 30) and tires, those are the big 3. everything else is minor, the SS has electric steering so you don't have to change that fluid like you will on the v6.

2012 1LS Silver Ice - Mods - SS Strut Brace, RX Catch Can, BBK CAI, TRS Bi-Xenon HID's, Blackout Grill, RX65 Radar Detector, 700watt 4 Channel Amp with Kicker Speakers, 4Pack Gauges Added, 30% tint. Baer Drilled Rotors & pads, 20" American Racing. Awesome car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page