Evap canister solenoid... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chapel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Evap canister solenoid...

Well some time ago I got a CEL and it came up as a P0449 which is for the Evap Canister Solenoid. It seems that this is a common problem with Camaros as they approach 40-50 thousand miles. I don't remember exactly when or how many miles I was at when it popped up but I think it was about a year ago, maybe more and around 40,000. I let it go neglected because it doesn't harm the engine or performance or anything. But lately it's been getting on my nerves seeing that CEL there. My options included having it turned off via custom tune...my tuner said he could turn it off, or to have it replaced. The tune option would have been $75 but that doesn't actually fix the issue and I know it would have been in the back of my head that I didn't fix it. Having it replaced is a huge ordeal that I can't do myself because it requires dropping the rear diff and the gas tank or something extensive like that. Dealerships and shops are all charging about $400-$500 for labor. So I sucked it up and had it replaced. Parts and labor came out to $598 and some change, lol, OUCH! But I can say that in the four and a half years I've owned this car that is the only thing that has given me any trouble. So I can't complain. Well that and the heated seat element breaking which is another $600 job and will have to wait till later this year. I dropped it off yesterday morning and they had it done by the afternoon. Got it back and all is well. Although after getting it back I had a CEL for a lean condition in bank 1 which I cleared...then after clearing I got a code for a O2 sensor low input which I also cleared. I'm thinking they had to disconnect a few things or whatever while working on the solenoid. I'll drive it around later and see if anything else pops up. But anyway, I'm glad I went ahead and got the solenoid replaced. It sucks having to spend money on something like that but like I said, this car hasn't given me any real problems since I bought it. $600 in 4-1/2 years is nothing to be upset about.

Up next, gotta get the heated seat element replaced, I have the Metra dash kit coming on Friday with a new mic for my head unit, and I am in talks with a few companies about getting a supercharger installed!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 - Tuned!!

Proud to be the March 2013 Member Of The Month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Expensive but worth it cause now you forget about the evap for a while.
Your correct, it is not a lot of $$ for all of the years of service it has given you.

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Shortly after I bought my 2012 SS L99 used. it was giving me an evap code after WOT. Took it to local Chevy dealer and they did a "smoke test". Found evap. solenoid was bad and replaced it free of charge. Even the smoke test was covered. I had about 40k miles at that point. Being part of the EGR system it was covered for 5/50. This was less than a year ago.

SW shorty's, Borla ATAK cat back, SLP Blackwing CAI, Diode Dynamics DRL's, Technostalgia LED sequential tail lights. beauty bar.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD621 View Post
Expensive but worth it cause now you forget about the evap for a while.
Your correct, it is not a lot of $$ for all of the years of service it has given you.
Yea I can't complain at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbvinla View Post
Shortly after I bought my 2012 SS L99 used. it was giving me an evap code after WOT. Took it to local Chevy dealer and they did a "smoke test". Found evap. solenoid was bad and replaced it free of charge. Even the smoke test was covered. I had about 40k miles at that point. Being part of the EGR system it was covered for 5/50. This was less than a year ago.
Yea mine is a 2010. If I had went ahead and got it looked at when it first threw the code it probably would have been covered. But I procrastinated and I guess it cost me $600, lol!! Oh well. If I have it for another 4-1/2 years and it costs me another $600 in repairs then I'm ok with that. All in all it is a great car that hasn't given me any problems at all besides this...and the O2 sensor I just replaced, lol!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well the solenoid is running perfect with no codes being thrown for it anymore so I can rest easy knowing that is resolved. But a code kept popping up for the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. That is P0131 and it is the O2 sensor that is on the driver side upstream from the cat. I cleared it but it kept coming back. So I went to Advance, bought a new Denso sensor, popped it in, and no more light. Plus the idle is much better. It was running a little rough and dumping gas. Now the idle is much smoother and the fumes are gone. I don't know why it decided to give out now after the evap solenoid was replaced. But oh well. Oh, and I figure this weekend I'll get in there and put some new plugs in. I told myself I would wait until it got to 50K miles but at 47K I might as well do it now. Plus it'll give me something to do!! So for now all is well!!

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
Well the solenoid is running perfect with no codes being thrown for it anymore so I can rest easy knowing that is resolved. But a code kept popping up for the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor. That is P0131 and it is the O2 sensor that is on the driver side upstream from the cat. I cleared it but it kept coming back. So I went to Advance, bought a new Denso sensor, popped it in, and no more light. Plus the idle is much better. It was running a little rough and dumping gas. Now the idle is much smoother and the fumes are gone. I don't know why it decided to give out now after the evap solenoid was replaced. But oh well. Oh, and I figure this weekend I'll get in there and put some new plugs in. I told myself I would wait until it got to 50K miles but at 47K I might as well do it now. Plus it'll give me something to do!! So for now all is well!!
Let us know which plugs you use, I need to replace mine as well.
Thanks!

2010 2SS/RS A6 L99 Born 09/16/2009 Vin#9146985
ModernCamaro Car of the Month Jan 2013
CAI,Axle back exhaust, V Max Throttle Body
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm gonna go with the AC Delco Iridium plugs. From what I hear, the stock plugs are iridium. So I figure I'll stick with the stockers.
patriotpa likes this.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Changed mine at 50K with the AC Delco Iridium. Old plugs looked great. Guess I could have gone longer, but why risk a failure while on a trip?

SW shorty's, Borla ATAK cat back, SLP Blackwing CAI, Diode Dynamics DRL's, Technostalgia LED sequential tail lights. beauty bar.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2016, 03:03 PM

The iridium is very brittle so don't drop one or bang them around.
I read that you shouldn't even check the gap.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbvinla View Post
Changed mine at 50K with the AC Delco Iridium. Old plugs looked great. Guess I could have gone longer, but why risk a failure while on a trip?
I might hold off for a while now come to think of it. I have just under 48,000 miles. So I'll wait until my next oil change which should put me around 51,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The iridium is very brittle so don't drop one or bang them around.
I read that you shouldn't even check the gap.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were that weak. Knowing me I'll drop like half of them.

2017 Camaro ZL-1 A10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page