The Economy, the Camaro and other thoughts.... - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
THE FBODFATHER

The Economy, the Camaro and other thoughts....

-- got a few notes from people....concerned about the economy and GM and whether or not this will delay the Camaro.

First -- let me make this perfectly clear: this is ME talking - and I am NOT speaking for the company I work for...........MY thoughts:

Let me quote our Chairman: "Bankruptcy is not an option......."

Those are pretty powerful words. I believe he's committed to doing everything in his power to turn this company around -- and the proof is in the cars and trucks we're coming out with.

(Fact: No one has more cars that get 30mpg or better than Chevy -- not Honda, Not Toyota -- not anyone.........................) (sorry -- just had to put that message in there.....)

Rick has lots of people criticizing him -- everyone seems to think they have the answer - the fact is that they don't have all the answers.

Will we ever declare bankruptcy?

Well -- 'never' is a realllllllllll long time -- so I will never say never.........but I think it very very unlikely.

The Economy is indeed in turmoil -- where will it end? No one knows.

No one.

That said -- while our business has taken quite a hit, we're moving forward with new products -- and one of them is the Camaro. There are no delays on the new Camaro. None.

Back to the economy...........

I have a real problem with many of our elected officials in Washington...

....I believe we:

-that's you and me-- need to vote a LOT of people out of office -- and we need to do it NOW.

I believe that there are people on Wall Street that need to go to jail. I believe that we need to use the 'claw-back' laws to 'claw back' the outlandish compensation that too many people have been paid. I'm sorry, but NO ONE is worth $50million in my book ...you may disagree and it's your perogative to do so..............

I believe in the United States of America.

I also know that the rest of the world is going thru what we're going thru.........and that is frightening.

I believe we've got some of the best business minds in the world - and I believe you'll see people work hard to solve our problems.

Now -- that said:

WE:

- that's you and me -- have some responsibilities.

It is NOT a God Given Right to live in this country and expect to have things handed to us.

WE:

-- that's you and me - have a RESPONSIBILITY to get ourselves to the polls on Tuesday, November 4 -- and vote RESPONSIBLY --

By 'responsibly' -- I mean none of this 'straight ticket' stuff - YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK -- and you need to be paying attention to where ALL candidates stand on a variety of issues. YOU NEED to look at the claims being made -- and you need to do your homework to see that some are outlandish...........and you need to understand that EVERYTHING comes with a price...........

WE:

-- that's you and me -- have a RESPONSIBILITY to work and sacrifice to see that our way of life is preserved. We must because, you see, many have given their lives so that we - that's you and me -- can have the best standard of living that the world has EVER known. Many millions more gave years of their lives and their health -- for the same reason.

WE:

-- that's you and me-- need to look at what's in the best interests of the country -- not just of what MAY be in the best interests of ourselves. (singular)

A personal word about health care:

Two years ago I had a heart problem. I was told that the "widow maker' was over 90% blocked -- and I was put in the hospital and I had stents put in.

It took less than 48 hours to get these stents.......and at the time one of my dear friends in Canada told me that there was a waiting list of over a YEAR for stents in that country.
(this is not a slam at Canada -- if I had to move to another country -- I'd pick Canada in a heartbeat -- love the country - love the people even more!)

Our Hospitals have lots of patients from all over the world - and the reason is this: we have the best health care in the world -- but the problem is the COST of health care.

Wanna know my thinking on WHY?

People can sue for millions for ridiculous reasons.

The older I get, the more I realize what I DON'T know -- but I know this: Pass Tort reform and our health care costs will come back to earth......

The Attorneys don't want this -- and they'll tell you that they're fighting for your rights (and perhaps they are...) but they're becoming very wealthy doing so. (this is not a slam against all attorneys -- esp. those of you who are my friends!!!) But it IS a slam at what I'll call "ambulance chasers"......

OK -- bet a few of you are sorry you asked.

AGAIN -- the opinions above are MY PERSONAL opinions - not those of the company I work for -- and my opinions and $2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at one of those fancy-shmancy coffee shops..........

(......can someone please bring a fork lift over here and get the soap box out from under me??)

post #2 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Yeah, stay up on that soapbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
post #3 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1950 View Post
Yeah, stay up on that soapbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
nice first post

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 PM

I agree with you, most of the people I know agree with what you are saying...

Tort reform? Check.

Health care costs? We need to do more for the consumers of health care than the we do for the providers.

I'm an airline pilot: A piece of legislation that I know very, very well is the airline deregulation act of 1978. The basic premise of this act was to get the government out of the way by deregulating the airline business in the United States of America. Prior to this bill passing, air travel was reserved for the very well off in America. After the bill became law, the price to the consumer fell dramatically. Now, you can fly from one coast to the other coast for less than $500. (This particular legislation dramatically changed my career expectations for the worse, but, it served the overall good of the average American.)

Health car needs its own deregulation. We have far too few providers, making far too much profit off of, the consumers of health care.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 PM

thanks for the thoughts man.
Yes health care is totally messed up here. One of the big reasons is some people have health care provided to them for no cost. These "guests" of our country are impacting the system millions of dollars at a time and yet pay nothing into it. Who gets the cost? The people that pay into insurance.
I would get more into it but I don't want to forklift Scotts box or anything. Just saying health care should be for the people of this country less than it is and not free to "guests" of this country..

And back on to what Scott says..yes buying or demanding from home grown products is a must. From toothpicks to trucks. Only takes a second to flip it over and see where it was made. Truth be told if you look there is still stuff made in the good ol U.S. of A..and or North America..Buying from China for our products weakens us...buying fron Japan for our auto's weakens us.

we need to have pride in this country again.

1994 Z28 Autobot

I would like to thank the person that came up with these fine avatar and signature's.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
See You On Course

Amen!

2010 Stock IBM 2SS/RS

I found $80 in my jeans pocket. The kid in me said "buy nerf guns and candy!" But then the adult in me said "buy vodka, nerf guns and candy!"

post #7 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM

Scott great post and true to the facts, (no spin zone).

I vote and I worry about the future for my grandchildren, 2 & 5.

The General is to big to be knocked down, my point of view.

America, she will always stand proud & strong, the American worker will always be strong, during hard and good times. (I was proud to serve her for 22 years).

I've held a job since I was 13, I'm 45 now and I'm dam proud of that fact. That is the only way I could have bought gas for my Chevy truck in high school or purchased my home. (fixed rate I might add). I would never expect somebody to bail my a** out. I believe some people need to fry for their dirty deeds done to the tax payers.

For the small amount of post you submit, I've never read any BS

SF
Rick
post #8 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 PM
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple

Great post Scott, I wholeheartedly agree!

You should run for President.

2001 Camaro Z28 H/C/I LH6 A4 3.42

Like ModernCamaro.com on Facebook!
post #9 of 16 Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28 View Post
Great post Scott, I wholeheartedly agree!

You should run for President.
i might vote for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
Facebook has sucked me into Farmtown.

What can I say I love virtual plowing.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 AM

-that's you and me-- need to vote a LOT of people out of office -- and we need to do it NOW.

I believe that there are people on Wall Street that need to go to jail. I believe that we need to use the 'claw-back' laws to 'claw back' the outlandish compensation that too many people have been paid. I'm sorry, but NO ONE is worth $50million in my book ...you may disagree and it's your perogative to do so..............

AMEN
i mean my god this countries economy was strong it effected the world?
that is freaking massive
if it goes under where would that leave the world then?
and us
second we do need to fire them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page