Identifying the Obscure Competition - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Identifying the Obscure Competition

Alright. So we know this beast is going toe-to-toe with the Mustang, Challenger, and even possibly the CTS-Coupe. But what else will it be slamming up against? In this article I'm going to detail current or future cars that the Camaro will be competing with, just to give us a general idea. My criteria is as follows, and will be divided in to two sections.

Critera -
RWD
2 Doors
Manual \ 6-speed auto
V6 or V8
Some exceptions may be made for extremely powerful four-door saloons.

Let's get started, shall we? First off, we have the Nissan 370Z -

Drive - Left
Wheels - RWD
Doors - 2
Transmission - 6-speed manual or auto

While Nissan hasn't confirmed this yet, the vehicle is out there. There have been extensive sitings of it around the Nurburgring, and just a day or so ago, interior shots were captured. Following Nissan's typical idea with this car, it will borrow the high-end Infiniti version of the VQ V6, also found in the G37. Estimates on this vehicles power are ranging from 350 to 380 at the crank for the moment. Pricing hasn't been announced, but it should be close to the current 350Z, as that's what it will be replacing; so expect a base of around 28k. The spy shots are located here - http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissa...shots/1085272/

Feel free to add any other car you can think of that fits the criteria that is coming to market. RWD isn't a must, but it is preferred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SemperSS View Post
Alright. So we know this beast is going toe-to-toe with the Mustang, Challenger, and even possibly the CTS-Coupe. But what else will it be slamming up against? In this article I'm going to detail current or future cars that the Camaro will be competing with, just to give us a general idea. My criteria is as follows, and will be divided in to two sections.

Critera -
RWD
2 Doors
Manual \ 6-speed auto
V6 or V8
Some exceptions may be made for extremely powerful four-door saloons.

Let's get started, shall we? First off, we have the Nissan 370Z -

Drive - Left
Wheels - RWD
Doors - 2
Transmission - 6-speed manual or auto

While Nissan hasn't confirmed this yet, the vehicle is out there. There have been extensive sitings of it around the Nurburgring, and just a day or so ago, interior shots were captured. Following Nissan's typical idea with this car, it will borrow the high-end Infiniti version of the VQ V6, also found in the G37. Estimates on this vehicles power are ranging from 350 to 380 at the crank for the moment. Pricing hasn't been announced, but it should be close to the current 350Z, as that's what it will be replacing; so expect a base of around 28k. The spy shots are located here - http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissa...shots/1085272/

Feel free to add any other car you can think of that fits the criteria that is coming to market. RWD isn't a must, but it is preferred.
That is one bad looking car..... I like the 350z better.... Sorry irrelevant i know...
post #3 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 AM

looks like a poysche(spelling error)

post #4 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 AM

Have you guys learned NOTHING from spy shots ^^^^

personally, I have always liked the Z, I was tempted to get one late 06, but LUCKILY I quit my job (due to school) so money was tight. I got my sense kicked in and decided on delayed gratification in the form of a 2010 Camaro

On topic, rumor has it the G37 is actually a bit slower than the G35 :p ! Maybe that says something about the 370Z, maaaaybe it doesn't. All we can do is wait, but honestly I still like the Z's

Last edited by Marvelous; 10-15-2008 at 01:49 AM.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

The G35 does weigh more, by about 120 pounds. It comes in at 3750, whereas the G35 came in around 3600. I admit that this is one of the largest competitors for Camaro sales from the Asian market. And let's not forget Hyundai (Never thought I'd say that in the same paragraph with performance cars..), and their Genesis Coupe, making 310 hp on a RWD V6 also.
post #6 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluuug View Post
Have you guys learned NOTHING from spy shots ^^^^

personally, I have always liked the Z, I was tempted to get one late 06, but LUCKILY I quit my job (due to school) so money was tight. I got my sense kicked in and decided on delayed gratification in the form of a 2010 Camaro

On topic, rumor has it the G37 is actually a bit slower than the G35 :p ! Maybe that says something about the 370Z, maaaaybe it doesn't. All we can do is wait, but honestly I still like the Z's
I like the Z's i just don't like this one.... i know its a spy shot but i still don't like the back/cockpit area
post #7 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

This car is so deformed. Look at the rear fenders and the Maxima'
s headlights grafted onto the back..

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
post #8 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM

I personally prefer AWD to RWD, but...

I think the Camaro is going to do RWD better than its competition. Look at it this way. Camaro is most like going to be more fuel efficient than a 370Z or Genesis Coupe as well as faster and it's going to be more original looking.
post #9 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

If we had to judge this Nissan against the Camaro on just styling alone, the Chevy wins by a freakin' MILE! That thing is HIDEOUS.

Bob Lutz: "There's no doubt that a design-driven philosophy is the only one that will work. People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one."
post #10 of 32 Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
BDC

ok enough about the nissans what is some of the other competition.

ill let you continue 09semperSS

just another guy dreaming of owning a 09 camaro

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BDCNDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page