Forcing some air into the CAI area? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Forcing some air into the CAI area?

Hello all,
I have installed a K&N CAI and it doesn't seem like it gets a whole lot of fresh air, so I am contemplating removing the driver side fog light and replacing it with some sort of tubing or what not to try and force some of that fresh air into the air box. My main concern (other than how the hell am I going to install this thing, what materials am I going to use, how do I connect this contraption to the car, how am I..... sorry got side tracked) is water making its way onto the filter and ruining it. Has anyone done anything like this or have any tips or suggestions for materials and my water concern? This is the first time I am really looking at disassembling any part of the car so all feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSBruiser View Post
Hello all,
I have installed a K&N CAI and it doesn't seem like it gets a whole lot of fresh air, so I am contemplating removing the driver side fog light and replacing it with some sort of tubing or what not to try and force some of that fresh air into the air box. My main concern (other than how the hell am I going to install this thing, what materials am I going to use, how do I connect this contraption to the car, how am I..... sorry got side tracked) is water making its way onto the filter and ruining it. Has anyone done anything like this or have any tips or suggestions for materials and my water concern? This is the first time I am really looking at disassembling any part of the car so all feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Here is how I solved that problem ... the key is the vertical isolator wall placement.
After researching most of the CAI systems available, I found that one system did an excellent job of isolating the intake from the engine bay to actually use "cold air" (relatively) and also pull the air from in front of car and not the radiator, with extremely low air restriction in the system. Looking at the design of the Z28 CAI shows the Engineers really did their homework and get an A+ for execution - in the following picture it shows how they configured the intake so air flowing from the left side of the front of the car (Yellow Arrow adjacent to side of the radiator) goes in to the airbox. The hood insulation serves as a cover for the airbox when the hood is closed. The thick rubber preformed tube and thick walls help insulate and also direct the "cold air" - with the added bonus that the fins look cool. They put the wall in a precise location at the yellow arrow. Adding that wall does an excellent job bringing in air from the front of the car and it goes directly in to the intake inlet. Added plus ... "Provides a 51% reduction in air restriction when compared with a standard LS3-equipped Camaro." ;-)

Noticed that the Advertisements tend to put a banner at the bottom of the attached engine bay picture and covers up the Yellow arrow at the bottom at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI_5.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	52018  

2014 2SS/RS, Factory installed ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter and NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust. Z28 strut tower brace, ZL1 splash guards,
Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot.

Last edited by ron123; 10-12-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Altered engine bay/CAI picture to lower advertising overlay on bottom of the photo.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page