Long Tube Headers - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By gbvinla

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Long Tube Headers

Hello, I'm fairly new to the whole "modding" and was wondering what would be the long tube headers for my 2010 camaro ss? And what all would I need to purchase with it. Only thing I've done to the car is straight piped it an added a k&n cold air intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

My 2SS/RS was already modded when I bought it. Has long tube headers, CAI and Borla from the Cat back. Several posts on here claim that you will need a professional tune after the long tubes, but not if you go short tubes. This robs you of the low end torque you are looking for from the longer tubes. Without a tune you will most likely get a CEL (check engine light) after WOT(wide open throttle) pass.
Hope this helps. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
patriotpa and JWD621 like this.

SW shorty's, Borla ATAK cat back, SLP Blackwing CAI, Diode Dynamics DRL's, Technostalgia LED sequential tail lights. beauty bar.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM
ユキヒョウ

Lot's of options for long tube headers.....Kooks, Stainless Works, American Racing Headers, Texas Speed, and other knock off brands. To get the most performance out of them, you'll need a tune and to keep CEL from coming on. (check engine light)

2019 1SS/1LE

post #4 of 10 Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

If I buy a set of LT headers do I have to get one with the full exhaust or can I just buy the headers? If not please explain , thank you.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 AM
ユキヒョウ

You don't have to get a full exhaust (unless you want to). But you can't just buy the headers alone......to connect to the stock exhaust you have to make up the empty distance between the header and the stock exhaust, either with off-road connection pipes or hi-flow cats. Whatever LT headers you go with there should be an option or choice for connecting to stock exhaust. How you connect to the stock exhaust depends on how environmentally friendly you want to be

I had Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers with the hi-flow cats when I had my 2011 SS. And to get he most performance out of the setup, had it tuned and dyno tested.

LT Header | off-road pipe | stock catback exhaust

or

LT Header | hi-flow cat | stock catback exhaust

2019 1SS/1LE

Last edited by Nancygrl; 10-20-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Is there much of a difference between off-road and the high flow cats?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 AM
ユキヒョウ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_2010SS View Post
Is there much of a difference between off-road and the high flow cats?
The hi-flow cat's cost more, not sure if there is much difference in performance. It's personal preference and what the emissions regulations are where you live.

2019 1SS/1LE
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2017, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Garage
IF you get headers, or any other performance part for your car, make SURE you get a decent product, not some cheaply made store-brand knockoff. There's lots of horror stories about certain vendors selling garbage with their name on it.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-09-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

What's the average price for headers without the full exhaust with just either off-road or hi flow cats? Some examples with stock numbers would be grately appreciated.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Depends - looking anywhere from 400/500 - 1200/1400 depending on brand. Texas Speed and Dynatech are cheaper and American Racing and Kooks run quite expensive. IMO buy what I bought. Stainless Power Headers - pretty well know to be a great bang for the buck as they are medium price with good build quality and a solid company producing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page