What are upcharges? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

What are upcharges?

Hi,

I made it very clear to my dealer that I won't pay over msrp, and he was cool with that, but then at the end of the conversation, he used the word upcharges. What exactly was he reffering to? Is this just dealer talk for soemthing I shouldn't worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Hi,

I made it very clear to my dealer that I won't pay over msrp, and he was cool with that, but then at the end of the conversation, he used the word upcharges. What exactly was he reffering to? Is this just dealer talk for soemthing I shouldn't worry about?
what he is possibly talking to you about is basically dealer mark up.like how many dealers charge more for a car BECAUSE NOT ONLY can they get away with it but it's a quote un quote "HOT CAR"

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #3 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 02:50 PM

You had better ask him point blank what he means. Tell him to put it plain english, not dealer code talk. Or you may be in for a rude suprise cost wise.

post #4 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST SS View Post
what he is possibly talking to you about is basically dealer mark up.like how many dealers charge more for a car BECAUSE NOT ONLY can they get away with it but it's a quote un quote "HOT CAR"
So are we talking over msrp, or is this something he will take out of the price we agreed on(which basiclly was msrp in the end)?
post #5 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So are we talking over msrp, or is this something he will take out of the price we agreed on(which basiclly was msrp in the end)?
well without hearing the entire conversation i can't be completely sure but i have a feeling he's gonna charge you more than base msrp or he may be reffering to as the cost of options to the vechile

The Induction may be forced but your humilation is up to you

5th GEN.Org's Offical Protagonist
UNITED STATES ARMY 19K
Currently with 3rd ID,2nd brig,1-64th armored battalion,d-co,2nd plt FT.Stewart,Georgia
DOG FACE SOLIDERS HOOAH
post #6 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Crap, I paid up charges. You couldn't get a Challenger or Camaro in my town without paying one.....$2000 for the Camaro and $5000 for the Challenger. Dealers have done this forever in my area, if you want a new production model.

If you buy one off the lot the Camaro will be $5000 above list. They are getting 8 for next year and I ordered the 3rd one.

I priced Challengers in OKC, Dallas, and Ft. Worth too get one $5000 to $7000for the small 5.7 L. The 6.1 are not available but will be $15000.

I did hear about Classic in Dallas letting them go for list after I ordered mine. I know, I know, a computer is your friend!!!

Last edited by Texhoss; 10-18-2008 at 03:16 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi,

I've never heard that before...maybe the dealer fees for registration/inspection etc??? I'd give him a call and ask him to clarify.

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I just remembered that I have a supplier discount code from my work. Asumeing it can be used for this car, it should knock off a good $3k-$4k. Can disounts be combined, like if I have a friend that has a GM connection? Or is it just one disount at a time?
post #9 of 26 Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhoss View Post
Crap, I paid up charges. You couldn't get a Challenger or Camaro in my town without paying one.....$2000 for the Camaro and $5000 for the Challenger. Dealers have done this forever in my area, if you want a new production model.

If you buy one off the lot the Camaro will be $5000 above list. They are getting 8 for next year and I ordered the 3rd one.

I priced Challengers in OKC, Dallas, and Ft. Worth too get one $5000 to $7000for the small 5.7 L. The 6.1 are not available but will be $15000.

I did hear about Classic in Dallas letting them go for list after I ordered mine. I know, I know, a computer is your friend!!!
You sir, fail....

There ARE dealers across the country who will not "upcharge" or "tact list"...

There are dealers here in Orlando who wanted 5,000+...it is not hard to drive an extra 20-50 miles to a dealer who WILL work with you..not only that, you can order from a separate dealer, such as scotty who will give you at or below MSRP and PAY a destination or "transport" fee...but that is 250-500 bucks, and wow you just saved 1,500 minimum. If you get below MSRP..hell you just saved 2,000 and up...I have a HARD time grasping the concept that someone has enough money in their life that they wouldn't mind having an extra 2,000 dollars or more. Hell, thats almost a year of college for your kids...........almost

You are saying you heard Classic going at list?...this is because you failed to do research and failed to make an effort, and you are the reason dealers GET AWAY and will continue to price the way they do....thank you

Last edited by brantley847; 10-19-2008 at 09:58 AM.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

You should ask your dealer, not an internet forum. Only they know what they meant and how they plan to rip you off. Good luck.

www.fquick.com/demonspeed
Present: '02 SS #7146
Past: '89 IROC-Z|'91 Z28|'00 SS #0795|'01 Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page