Purchase decision 2011 L99 vs 2013 Mustang GT Auto? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By patriotpa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Purchase decision 2011 L99 vs 2013 Mustang GT Auto?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any honest feedback. I'm planning on buying a newer V8 Automatic(has to be an auto for accessibility for family members, plus 90% of my driving is City.) Where I live, the 2 best options that I could afford is a 2011 2SS L99 and a 2013 Mustang GT Auto. Both are coupes. From the research I did, I like the HUD of the L99 and supposedly it might have more low end torque than the GT. But the GT has more horsepower(on dyno tests online) and is lighter. The L99 is $2500-$3200 cheaper than the GT, but also has 16700 Miles more. What I would save on the cost I would spend on LTs, X-pipe, exhaust and tuner to match the stock GT performance. At least according to Dyno numbers. I also read that I could switch the fuel management off with a basic diablo sport tuner(I hope that is true?). However there are no articles or reviews on how the L99 "feels" in power and fun driving experience compared to the GT Auto. Would anyone have any feedback on that? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 AM
Premium Member

Garage
It looks to me like you've already made your mind up with the L99.
Wise choice.
FAR more refined. Comfortable. VERY fun to drive. Stump-pulling torque. The LS engines are extremely reliable. If you are a modder, the LS is very mod-friendly, with literally thousands of performance options available from mild to wild. Turns heads wherever you go. Holds value well. Timeless good looks.

With the $2500-$3200 you save by purchasing the L99, you could do a LOT more than just LTs, X-pipe exhaust and tune and end up with a real screamer that would eat Corvettes. In a world full of "me too" cars, the Camaro stands out as one of those special cars you will remember forever.

Don't forget you can add factory options too. I did. The Camaro can easily be made into whatever you want.

I've had my 2010 L99 since summer 2009 and STILL love it. You will too. It's a truly great car.
JWD621 likes this.

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.
Click the pic.. I don't tolerate fools.

Last edited by patriotpa; 02-25-2018 at 05:08 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
It looks to me like you've already made your mind up with the L99.
Wise choice.
FAR more refined. Comfortable. VERY fun to drive. Stump-pulling torque. The LS engines are extremely reliable. If you are a modder, the LS is very mod-friendly, with literally thousands of performance options available from mild to wild. Turns heads wherever you go. Holds value well. Timeless good looks.

With the $2500-$3200 you save by purchasing the L99, you could do a LOT more than just LTs, X-pipe exhaust and tune and end up with a real screamer that would eat Corvettes. In a world full of "me too" cars, the Camaro stands out as one of those special cars you will remember forever.

Don't forget you can add factory options too. I did. The Camaro can easily be made into whatever you want.

I've had my 2010 L99 since summer 2009 and STILL love it. You will too. It's a truly great car.
Thank you, that feedback is very much appreciated. I like both cars and they seem to have their unique charms, so its very tricky to decide. Especially with my car history. Having been a mustang guy before who has owned a 2004 GT and 2006 GT, I would know what to expect from the the 2013 GT since its the same 06 platform with updated exterior/interior and 110 more hp. But the 2011 L99 would be something completely new which is uncharted territory. Since the particular L99 model I'm looking at is black, it has very much a "Knight Rider/Smokey and the Bandit" vibe which is what peeked my interest. A couple more questions, what would be the best hand tuner to switch of the cylinder activation of?(where I live there are no mechanics that can install any LS3 conversion kits). Also, what would be the best Camaro specific modding online store? I'm only currently familiar with the Mustang ones. Most my search results where just GM general modding stores.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Drive the car for awhile before you decide to turn off AFM. It's all but unnoticeable anyhow.

Tuning?

One of our members here, 06MonteSS is a vendor here and can do a mail order tune for you. Very competent tuner. https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/di...o-sss-%2A.html

He can also help you with the mods you want. Power per dollar. Getting the biggest bang for your buck, and he won't steer you to a junk dealer. There's one of those on our forum too (He's a very well known famous name on the Mustang forums).

I'm glad I can help!

James 1:25 Ordered from Faulkner Chevy #NKCF02 1100 5/8/9 2000, 3300 7/16/9 TPW 7/20,GOT MY (low) VIN! 4000 7/24/9 ,Picked up 8/7/9!!! Signed Litho #45. Car signed by FBodfather 2011. Service: Jennings Chevy in PA. We don't "drift", kiddies... we POWER SLIDE! MOTM/COTM Sept 2012 Pro Patria Vigilans.

Last edited by patriotpa; 02-25-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-25-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Drive the car for awhile before you decide to turn off AFM. It's all but unnoticeable anyhow.

Tuning?

One of our members here, 06MonteSS is a vendor here and can do a mail order tune for you. Very competent tuner. https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/di...o-sss-%2A.html

He can also help you with the mods you want. Power per dollar. Getting the biggest bang for your buck, and he won't steer you to a junk dealer. There's one of those on our forum too (He's a very well known famous name on the Mustang forums).

I'm glad I can help!
Again, thank you I appreciate it. If I could ask one more question that I was wondering about? A third option for me to buy would be a 2002 Camaro Automatic SLP Anniversary edition. Only has 30,045 Miles on it and has been babied under a car cover by a collector(1st owner). It would be around a $1000 cheaper than the 2011 L99(which I was told had 5 owners already). I read the 01-02 SS performs very similar to the early 5th gens. Is that correct? Or is the 5th gen still a much better deal, even with the more miles(51573 miles) because of the updated build quality?

Last edited by KNIGHT4000; 03-25-2018 at 01:19 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
The 5th gen is an award winner.
2002 vs 2011? NINE years newer belts, seals, hoses, and it's been mostly sitting. I'd go with the 2011. Less maintenance.
Miles don't hurt a car. Lack of maintenance and sitting does.

Do a carfax on the 2011, then take it to a Chevy garage and have it looked over.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-26-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The 5th gen is an award winner.
2002 vs 2011? NINE years newer belts, seals, hoses, and it's been mostly sitting. I'd go with the 2011. Less maintenance.
Miles don't hurt a car. Lack of maintenance and sitting does.

Do a carfax on the 2011, then take it to a Chevy garage and have it looked over.
Great, thank you very much!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2018, 07:44 PM

I love my 2011 Automatic L99. I have all the bolt ons and it’s tuned ( motor and trans). We liked it so much that we bought a 2015 for my wife. There is more room in the CAMARO as compared to a mustang as well.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Garage
I don't really think that the Mustang is in the same league as the Camaro. Yes it has front engine and rwd but the Mustangs I drove recently did not have the feel of the 2011 Camaro I just bought my daughter. The Mustangs seemed harder to work on and the parts availability is not the same. Either car is really a two seater but the Camaro's back seat will do in a pinch where as I could not get into the rear seat of the Mustang.

I ended up buying a 2011 Bright Yellow Camaro with the Six cylinder and Six speed. On the highway it gets 32 mpg and I love driving the Camaro as it is clearly a "Driver's Car" and makes driving fun again.

We found one with 35,000 miles at we bought it for $12,700.

I like powerful cars and my two cars are both Corvettes. I have a 1968 Big block Corvette that makes lots power and the 1988 C4 which suits me fine the way it came. We bought this Camaro for my 19 year old daughter to use to go to College in. My wife would not let her take the 255 hp 1988 Corvette to school so we got her a 312 hp six cylinder Camaro. I am very impressed by the engine layout and the access you have to all the major components from up top. I love the feeling of sitting inside those huge wheels while driving around. GM has a really nice car in the Camaro from "mild to wild"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in