what's it going to take to save GM ? - ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts
5th Generation Camaro News & General Discussion News Articles & General Discussion about the 5th Generation Camaro.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

what's it going to take to save GM ?

Clearly there is a market for the new Camaro but in the big picture if there is not a healthy GM how long can we expect replacement parts and warranty ?
They can't live on Camaro sales and CAFE rules don't help.
Granted a restructuring is needed. Chevrolet doesn't need a GMC shadow and there must be a decrease in models offered. Unions must be controlled. There was once a time they were necessary but to survive it can't continue. Look ar right to work states where Toyota is being built.
Executives must be willing to fore go those salaries.
But wealthy Americans are mostly a greedy bunch, (AIG, Leyman Brothers executives) and once having a piece of the pie are not willing to give it up nor prone to sharing.
And we can't seem to grasp that Toyotas and Hondas while made in the U.S. the big money goes back to Japan.
We will see.

Ordered Cyber gray/gray 1SS with automatic and black stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Supporter of common sense

A few more threads about it on would help

Ok, maybe not.
GM needs to SERIOUSLY reorganize and change how they have looked at building and marketing cars. They realize that now they just need some $$.

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #3 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Idont think lending them 25 billion will help when you loose 12 billion a quarter. Even if they could build and sell enough vehicles/products to break even i dont think its possiable to do they have to much overhead to pay versus products to sell to pay the bills.

post #4 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDs02 View Post
Idont think lending them 25 billion will help when you loose 12 billion a quarter. Even if they could build and sell enough vehicles/products to break even i dont think its possiable to do they have to much overhead to pay versus products to sell to pay the bills.

fine 100 billion then lol

'Winning'
post #5 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Supporter of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modsled View Post
fine 100 billion then lol

The talk is $75B in three installments for ALL of the big three I believe.
Now that the states want a piece of that pie, no telling how much will end up going to GM

Joe :: Over Anxious 67 Camaro RS/SS L78
5thgenblog.com // Michigan Classics
Chevrolet Camaro in Transformers // My ebaY auctions

Hot Rod Search Google searches for gearheads!
post #6 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

this is what it's gonna take....

just a little love

2010-2SS/RS/LS3/IBM/RP6: ECS-Paxton Supercharger / American Racing Headers & Exhaust / PFADT Suspension / DSS 9" 4.10 Rear / FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taglane View Post
Powerfreak is the only one who actually understood anything.
post #7 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Michigan wouldnt Be The same without GM,Ford or Chrysler.....If they went Away...What would we Be known For Our Dirty Great Lakes?

We Could Get New License Plates Saying "Pothole Capital" lol

'Winning'
post #8 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
this is what it's gonna take....

just a little love

LOL Eww

'Winning'
post #9 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Bailouts WITH OVERSIGHT will be necessary to right this ship. In the long run, regardless of what the government needs to spend to save the big three, it is nothing compared to the cost of losing one or all of these remaining player in a huge economic sector. As for the structuring of the bailouts, they must be conditional and overseen by regulators. Giving them $25B and saying "here, fix it" isn't going to work. I know we all love GM but the simple fact remains that they got themselves into this trouble. Whether it stems from not building what the people want or simply operating with too much overhead (padding the pockets of the biggies), GM got themselves into this. They need to be told to use the money to provide tangible changes within production and planning. Transparency will be needed so that everyone knows exactly what this money is being used for. This is a lot like "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." We need to make GM drink, make the unions go away because your union protection does not mean anything if you have no employer anymore. My family has bled GM for as long as I can remember with three generations working there. Right now I'm a Finance and Economics double major with hopes on being the fourth generation GM employee. I just wish this had waited a few more years so that I could be in a position to do something about it, I hope it still remains possible to fix whenever I am.
Eh..my .02.

Quote:
The Camaro is 100 hp past its competition. The V6 is running with the top of the competition. In other words, if these cars are the whipped cream and the lower trims are the shake, the Camaro V6 is the cherry on top, and the Camaro SS is the person eating the whole ****ed thing.
-The_Blur
post #10 of 119 Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM

OK first of all what i feel a lot if not the majority of people don't understand is that the government is not just handing over 25 billion dollars. They have specifically chosen what the money can and can not be used for. The 25 billion is to retool manufacturing plants to build more efficient vehicles such as hybrids, electrics, and other alternate fuel sources. That will not get GM out of the water. as a matter of fact it won't even help.

What we are going to see is a serious reduction in the variety of vehicles produced. We already saw the end of HUMMER and i think the same ill happen to Buick. also instead of chevy making a cobalt a malibu and an impala I think they will whittle it down to just the malibu maybe.

Even with gas prices down there still won't be a market for new vehicles. GM, Ford, and Chrysler will all be forced to cut production way down and completely eliminate certain trim levels, certain models, and even certain companies all together.

Secondly, GM WILL NOT sell 80,000 camaros a year. there is just no way demand will be that high. not in the next 4 to 10 years at least. people are cutting back on luxuries and are managing their money more wisely and a new sports car just doesn't fit into most peoples lives.

I love camaros don't get me wrong. I am just giving you the cold hard truth. I hope I am wrong but we as a country and a world are facing tough tough times ahead and now is just not the time to be splurging.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ModernCamaro.com - 5th Generation Camaro Enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page